DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Rear seat monitor not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
vjuntura

Finland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Rear seat monitor not working

Hello!

I have recently bought myself a 2008 Discovery 3 HSE. I like the car and it is a very well equipped model. It is also equipped with OEM rear seat entertainment kit with monitors in front headrests.

However, monitor in drivers side headrest is not working. When I turn it on via front touch screen it powers on, but only displays white screen despite of source selected from the RSE menu. Passengers side monitor is working as it should and displays TV, dvd, etc.

I was wondering if there could be a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. Does anyone have information of the components and wiring the RSE consists of? Or any ideas what could be the problem with the monitor.

Also, does anyone has a user manual for RSE system?

Post #20743337th Aug 2019 6:56 pm
J.Prezes

Poland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I think that you shouldseek help on rrsport.co.uk forum as very few disco 3s had factory RSE and it was more common in RRS Thumbs Up

Post #207613714th Aug 2019 10:59 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had a similar problem on my D4 when I first got it
I'm not sure if it's the same on the D3 but I found a bad connection on a multiway plug under the front seat.
Got to be worth a check Thumbs Up

Post #207634115th Aug 2019 9:11 pm
vjuntura

Thanks for pointing me to rrs forum. I didn't find solution to my problem yet, but what I found is this: https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...ospecs.pdf document which describes RSE system components and connectors very well.

As a next step, I'm going to swap the display connectors from RSE module to see whether the problem is in the module, or in the display itself.

I'll also check the connections under the seat.

Post #207641216th Aug 2019 10:10 am
vjuntura

I have found the problem and got this sorted! The problem was a broken wire under drivers seat (picture in the end of the post).

I'll describe the procedure I found the problem:
1. Dismantled right quarter panel as instructed here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...oval~0.pdf
2. Found out that I can't swap right/left screen connectors from the rse module, because they are different (very obvious)
3. Dismantled drivers side rse screen. The plastic cover comes off with brute force, and the screen itself is attached with 3 torx screws.
4. Now I was able to measure the multiconductor cable connecting the screen to rse module in the back with a multimeter. Found out that wire going between both pin4 was the only one that wasn't connected.
5. Looked under drivers seat from the back and noticed that the multiconductor cable was damaged. There was no access for repairing it when seat installed.
6. Removed drivers seat as instructed here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic68884.html Found 15€ of coins in total under the seat, so the job payed itself back almost Laughing
7. Now I had plenty of room to play with the wire. Luckily, no other lead of the wire was damaged and I could clearly see the one snapped. I was able to solder it together by adding 4cm more wire in between the snapped ends.
8. Lifted the seat back to test if the screen works. Success!
9. Removed the seat again to finish the fix. Taped the wire back together properly. Attached the wires back etc.. Also, cleaned the floor under the seat properly.
10. Put the seat back and tested if the wires touch the seat when moving it. They touched...
11. I was able to attach the wires little bit lower (to a square pipe going between seat "legs") with zip-ties. Now the wires didn't touch the seat anymore.
12. Assembled everything back together.

So it seems that the original route of the rse cable was very bad and damaging the cable. I also checked the passenger side (I have LHD so right side), but there the cable has been routed better and it hasn't been damaged.

Sorry for no photos of the installation process.

Here's a bad photo of broken multiconductor cable.

Post #209893111th Nov 2019 9:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >