Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

REAR TYRE/BRAKE NOISES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cayman6

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
REAR TYRE/BRAKE NOISES

My car has developed a groan/rubberish grinding noise from the drivers side rear wheel most prominent at low speeds because of little road noise. It seems to coincide with one revolution of the wheel itself but strangely not in reverse. I have swapped the rear wheels around as tech at dealer suggested a tyre issue but the noise remains the same. Have noticed all four of my scorpions have a kind of double slash band around all the tread 1/4 way in from inside but still have life left in them and are showing no uneven wear.
Now the EPB was worked on 2 months ago (strip,clean,refit job for £200) but cannot be sure the noise was there pre that so it may be a coincidence but that was the last time rear wheels where off. This has really stumped me does anyone have any ideas/same problem/help?
 TONGA GREEN TDV6 S MANUAL
STAINLESS STEEL PROTECTION TUBES
19" HSE ALLOYS
PRIVACY GLASS
G4 DECALS

RRS'S ARE DISCO'S IN DRAG 

Post #34912524th Sep 2008 3:55 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bearing? or could be the EPB again. Perhaps the shoes weren't replaced & now they're down to nothing? or perhaps it wasn't adjusetd properly before?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34912724th Sep 2008 3:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cayman6

At first thought brakes but on leaning out of car while coasting it really did sound like a tyre thing. LR tech thought tyre based as well hence his idea to swap wheels,made that same noise though and also a mate in the back for a third opinion agreed. Really was hoping EPB problem as they had just serviced it for said price (£200). No mention of bearings which i guess he should have picked up on as he had a really good listen. As i said to LR tech i am loathed to book in just yet at £100 labour rates (out of warranty) until i have exhausted all avenues i can realistically hence the cry for help. The fact it only happens once every wheel revolution and not in reverse had LR guy stumped just don't want it to anything major but it's getting annoying now so any advice would be gratefully recieved .
19" HSE ALLOYS
PRIVACY GLASS
G4 DECALS

Post #34956225th Sep 2008 11:40 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I heard a few times, with Scorpions fitted, when they get a bit low, they sound like they are 'creaking' with every revolution...

How deep is the tread left on the tyre?

Post #34969725th Sep 2008 5:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cayman6

At least 3mm all round but noise is only on drivers side rear even after changing wheels around.
19" HSE ALLOYS
PRIVACY GLASS
G4 DECALS

Post #35168729th Sep 2008 8:41 pm
PascalvanDijk

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Did you manage to find the origin of the rubbing sound?

Since last week I have a similar sound originating from my right rear brake hub assembly. A couple of days before, I sent my D3 in for a service with the request to fix my EPB. The EPB was making a grinding sound with EPB failure messages Crying or Very sad
After service by dealership the problem was fixed for two days, now the EPB doesn't work and the sound from the back makes me wonder if I will reach the closest (130km) landrover dealership...

To me it sounds like the park brake pads have come loose inside the hub. I'm hoping this is not the case!

Post #3551995th Oct 2008 12:52 pm
cayman6

No not yet got to the bottom of it yet but may have an answer with this link

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic25409.html

Its a EPB service post.Could be the shoes rubbing on the backplate.Now its decision time do i lubricate it myself or take back to dealer who serviced EPB in August to deal with bearing in mind i'm not a 100% sure and don't want to pay £100 labour rates if its not EPB.
19" HSE ALLOYS
PRIVACY GLASS
G4 DECALS

Post #3557806th Oct 2008 1:20 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Gents,

I had exactly same problem and put up with it for ages. Finally dealer found it when they pulled the EPB apart and found that a retaining clip had dislodged and was squeecking when moving forward only, and I could only hear it at low speed with head out the window..

Hope it helps Thumbs Up
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #3562377th Oct 2008 3:22 am
cayman6

Cheers Mobyone sounds exactly the same done the head out of the window thing to try and pin down the noise with also the same results when reversing, silence.Do you know if its doing any lasting damage if left unchecked?
19" HSE ALLOYS
PRIVACY GLASS
G4 DECALS

Post #3562637th Oct 2008 9:20 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hard to tell, but mine was left for almost 6 months!! Shocked The clip is fairly small and I suspect that it would just wear out eventually. The main problem for me was getting them to pull the EPB apart to check it. They resisted until my brakes were due for service and only then did the whole thing come apart...

I'd push them to check it especially if it's under warranty.
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #3562857th Oct 2008 10:13 am
PascalvanDijk

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Just a short update on my previous post - I stripped the right back hub assembly as the noise coming out of it sounded horrible. all the lining was gone Sad the tension clips had also lost spring tension indicating overheating. I took photo's and sent it together with a root cause analysis write-up to the LR dealership.
Hat's off to them. they admitted that it was their fault Thumbs Up
In the mean time both parkbrake assemblies have been replaced by LR, I'm booked for a followup to replace the EPB module (also free of charge). this was not done as it apparently takes 6.5 hrs to do.

All in all I'm happy how the LR dealership handled this. I'm not happy with the fact that I had to take a day off work and drive 260km to have it fixed, and I have to take another day off and drive another 260km to have the EPB module replaced...

I'm fortunate to have a technical background, not sure how LR would have handled this without the write-up.

Post #36476525th Oct 2008 7:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >