Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Could this be the reason for my harsh suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Could this be the reason for my harsh suspension

I’ve not been happy with the suspension on the D3 since I replaced all the suspension components last year it’s that bad my wife’s sq3 is smoother 😳

When I replaced everything the car was on four axle stands all wheels hanging free and everything tightened up with the centre of the hub at the correct height from the underside of the wheel arch on each hub, I have been scratching my head ever since messing with tyre pressures, new tyres and yesterday I’d had enough after driving swimbos sq3 on a road that rattles the D3.

So I went through how I replaced everything racking my brain to see if I did something wrong and the only thing I could think of was I remembered after lifting the car onto the axle stands and removing the wheels i emptied the air from the suspension via my Iid tool I then removed all the parts and replaced apart from the air bags these were replaced the previous year.

All bolts were loose and I went to lift each hub to the correct height and I remembered it was very hard to lift to the point I felt I was lifting the car as though the air bags still had air in, when at the correct height I tightened all bolts then took for four wheel alignment.

So yesterday I jacked the car up, places in axle stands and removed the wheels I then used the iid tool to empty all the air and I attempted to jack under each hub to see if the same happened and it did I felt like I was going to lift it off the stands, have I done it wrong should I have evacuated all the air before jacking as I know this works as the car will go onto it’s bump stops

What’s everyone’s thoughts on my findings
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #204124929th Mar 2019 7:16 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

did you adjust the camber/caster/toe-in with the car on stands ?

I was told "to adjust without weight on the suspension will put your bushes in a very stressed sate and will result in premature failure. " by suspension kit supplier.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #204125329th Mar 2019 7:47 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Why are you taking the air out, in normal mode the car has air in all struts. Just leave the air in and set normal height, then jack the car hub to the correct height, it will start to lift the car with air in it thats fine.

Then you can tighten all the bolts up, but you should have done it this way the first time as now you will need to get it 4x wheeled again.

I have to ask where did you get the arms from and who did the 4x4 alignment.

I have changed hundreds of arms and never yet let the air out of the system.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #204128829th Mar 2019 9:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Could this be the reason for my harsh suspension

furnitureman wrote:
I’ve not been happy with the suspension on the D3 since I replaced all the suspension components last year it’s that bad my wife’s sq3 is smoother 😳

When I replaced everything the car was on four axle stands all wheels hanging free and everything tightened up with the centre of the hub at the correct height from the underside of the wheel arch on each hub, I have been scratching my head ever since messing with tyre pressures, new tyres and yesterday I’d had enough after driving swimbos sq3 on a road that rattles the D3.

So I went through how I replaced everything racking my brain to see if I did something wrong and the only thing I could think of was I remembered after lifting the car onto the axle stands and removing the wheels i emptied the air from the suspension via my Iid tool I then removed all the parts and replaced apart from the air bags these were replaced the previous year.

All bolts were loose and I went to lift each hub to the correct height and I remembered it was very hard to lift to the point I felt I was lifting the car as though the air bags still had air in, when at the correct height I tightened all bolts then took for four wheel alignment.

So yesterday I jacked the car up, places in axle stands and removed the wheels I then used the iid tool to empty all the air and I attempted to jack under each hub to see if the same happened and it did I felt like I was going to lift it off the stands, have I done it wrong should I have evacuated all the air before jacking as I know this works as the car will go onto it’s bump stops

What’s everyone’s thoughts on my findings

not still in tight tolerance is it and did you use genuine parts
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #204129029th Mar 2019 9:55 am
furnitureman

Flack wrote:
Why are you taking the air out, in normal mode the car has air in all struts. Just leave the air in and set normal height, then jack the car hub to the correct height, it will start to lift the car with air in it thats fine.

Then you can tighten all the bolts up, but you should have done it this way the first time as now you will need to get it 4x wheeled again.

Flack Thumbs Up

I got the parts from advanced factors I emptied all the air as I removed top and bottom arms hub assembly all at once on all four corners so I assumed I needed to release the air so I could get the strut back in as if I had left the air in I’m sure it would have extended due to all the bolts being removed, once all back together the centre of the hub was set at the correct distance and all bolts tightened I then took it for a Hunter four wheel alignment

Post #204130729th Mar 2019 11:10 am
discovery1953

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I read it as being suspended from the site Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #204131129th Mar 2019 11:24 am
furnitureman

Flack wrote:

Flack Thumbs Up

Just to confirm if I set the car to normal height and set tight tolerance mode, I then lift the front of the car and put on axle stands, I can then jack each hub up to the correct height, loosen all bolts then re tighten them all and then take for a four wheel alignment this is the correct way to do it

Craig

Post #204131229th Mar 2019 11:26 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

discovery1953 wrote:
I read it as being suspended from the site Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

you'd have to something very, very bad to suffer that.

Post #204131329th Mar 2019 11:33 am
furnitureman

😂😂

Post #204131529th Mar 2019 11:41 am
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Was this ever sorted as the problem for hard suspension?

furnitureman wrote:
Flack wrote:

Flack Thumbs Up

Just to confirm if I set the car to normal height and set tight tolerance mode, I then lift the front of the car and put on axle stands, I can then jack each hub up to the correct height, loosen all bolts then re tighten them all and then take for a four wheel alignment this is the correct way to do it

Craig
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #217077830th Aug 2020 10:34 pm
furnitureman

Hi yes it’s sorted I undid everything then jacked with air in and re tightened then got the 4 wheel alignment done all good, I also played with different pressures in the tyres as I was towing a heavy trailer and had the rears on 42 even when I was the only person in the car dropping to 36 made a huge difference for me

Post #217079131st Aug 2020 8:11 am
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #217087631st Aug 2020 4:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >