Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Reasons not to swap a D4 for a D5...(yet)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Disco4Danny

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Reasons not to swap a D4 for a D5...(yet)

Morning
After posting yesterday about my dilemma about trading my D4 for a D5, i was thinking of starting a thread of reasons not to, to help people like me who were/are on the cusp. I was going to start it with:

- the fundamental: e.g. compromised space (discussed yesterday)
- the trivial: e.g. skinny feeling sterring wheel, the sorry plasticky excuse for captains chair armrests compated to the lushly padded D4
- the personal taste issues: exterior styling
- the epic fails: e.g. basement seating v stadium seating
- the sure-to-be-lamented: poor sound quality on SE Land Rover audio v D4's superb harman kardon units
- the engine: no point trashing the puniness of the SD4 compared to silky smooth SDV6 as theyre obvs not like for like, but the lurchiness of the SD4 must take some getting used to
- OTHERS???
- But surely another reason to hold fire on committing to any new diesel just yet is this?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...range-2020

The inexorable hammering of diesel-only is sure to continue, and as some posts yestterday noted, looks like there has been a slowdown of D5 orders (rumour of fadt-tracked 2018MY updates inc styling? Dealers offerimg unexpected discounts, which is what seducing me..., Velar takng build slots from D5)....

Post #18549927th Sep 2017 7:32 am
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I had one for a couple of days and wrote a topic on the D5 forum. It did actually grow on me but at no point did it wow me. I started off with a big list of things I disliked but these are the things that I never got over.

Briefly:

Speedo / tacho are in 'tunnels' and can be a pain to read
You bang your head on the A-pillar
The Meridian sound system is poor on the HSE
Lots of crappy plastic bits
2.0 diesel is awful
Sharp boot edges are properly dangerous if the rear is lowered and you're parked on a slope (like my driveway!)

I actually grew to like the looks but then yesterday I followed one for half an hour and it looked an absolute mess! Perhaps it's colour and spec dependant but it had the fake exhaust trims and was a light grey colour. It looked absolutely dreadful but I decided it wasn't the number plate location but the horrible lower bumper arrangement and the clearly visible spare wheel.

Recently been to look at the Q7 and XC90 and the Volvo is a clear winner - aside from the fact I can't afford one with the decent engine!

Post #18550057th Sep 2017 8:04 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

For whatever reason, the D5 isn't selling in the numbers anticipated. My local dealer admitted this and likewise was offering discounts, but I am in the "won't be buying it on pain of death" camp. I simply don't like it for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with styling inside and out.

All of this will have a knock on effect on depreciation and obviously second hand prices.

There's plenty of vehicles out there which are as good, if not better. If your thinking with your head not your heart, it's maybe the time to consider another manufacturer.

Post #18550067th Sep 2017 8:06 am
Disco4Danny

Yesterday, i was almost ashamed in my post to mention that id considered the XC90....and it was winning in alot of the categories over the D5 including depth of boot....but dealbreaker for me is greatly less headroom for my GSD in the back. Orher than that, XC90 felt like an all-round better package pound for pound; although i must admit thevdash styling is not to my taste.

Unlike mNy otyers, im not repulsed by D5 styling even the rear. I actually think fair play to them giiving a nod to disvo heritage with the offset plate, but the mildly offset just looks weird. If fully offset, would look better (i have a full lemgth plate on my D4 fully offset to the left). I think if JLR revert to a central plate, i will be another step towards blurred anonymity with the rest of the range esp DSport

Post #18550117th Sep 2017 8:14 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Wait until the Hybrid D5 or Electric D5 version is released - the value of the current diesel D5 will plummet as will other recent 'diesel only' cars. Thumbs Up

Post #18550177th Sep 2017 8:25 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't be ashamed of the Volvo i would buy one in a snap if SWMBO would agree to let he D4 go!

I had one on Test for a week, here's my thoughts http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic154460.html

The D5 was a bit of a letdown for me I'm a total geek and was expecting something more radical like the D3 was when it was launched. The deal breaker in the main was the rear for us its lost way to much practicality and our dogs (Great Dane, GSP and Lab) just don't fit.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #18550187th Sep 2017 8:26 am
Disco4Danny

Yep, im now firmly of the view that signing my D5 order form which has been sat infront of me for a fortnight (that indecision is infact a decision) for a SD4 is oyt now, will have to disapoimt Hatfields Liverpool later, and wait tomsee hiw the hybrid develops, by which time the D5 would have had at least 1 refresh and prob several special editions to stimulate sales.

Had i not been in a D4, the XC90 would have blown me away....but dribing position is way too car like for me....which, i know,mis what they are aimimg for to attract a wider range of buyers,mbut D4 buyers are used to feelimg like the king/queen/jack(ass) of the road

Post #18550217th Sep 2017 8:32 am
Bello35

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

[quote="The Dundonian"]For whatever reason, the D5 isn't selling in the numbers anticipated. My local dealer admitted this and likewise was offering discounts, but I am in the "won't be buying it on pain of death" camp. I simply don't like it for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with styling inside and out.

All of this will have a knock on effect on depreciation and obviously second hand prices.

It reminds me of the Uma Thurman Schweppes ad: hey, what did you expect? Rolling Eyes

Post #18550477th Sep 2017 9:54 am
oldstout

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I'll put the cat amongst the pigeons..... Shocked

I wouldn't have one given - I don't like the look of it, particularly that awful rear end Shocked simple as.

Fugly Wink
 You can't educate pork...  
Post #18550497th Sep 2017 10:06 am
J77

Scotland 

^ nothing new it's been said before.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #18550537th Sep 2017 10:28 am
oldstout

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Not by me though Wink
 You can't educate pork...  
Post #18550667th Sep 2017 11:07 am
Disco4Danny

Folks should take offence when D4 owners say D5 not for them or D5 owners say D5 kicks ass compared to D4. Whats clear is that the D5 design direction is polarising and for every fan of it there is someone in despair! As noted before, i dont dislike the D5 in ansolute terms, its just that for me and my needs the D4 is a near impossible act to follow

Post #18550707th Sep 2017 11:25 am
Disco4Danny

"Shouldn't" take offence! Doh!

Post #18550717th Sep 2017 11:26 am
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I don't think most sensible people do take a offence. I don't get upset when people say the D4 is an ancient, out of date truck that handles like a sack of spuds - it suits a lot of people's needs perfectly.

The things is that the new D5 shouldn't have got so many things wrong and polarised opinion so strongly, not if they wanted it to appeal to everyone. I didn't get in the Q7 or XC90 and instantly pick up a load of things that annoy me and the D5 should have been the same (although none of them get the armrest right like the D4!).

Currently looking at a D4 Landmark as well but the residual value is shockingly bad compared to what they were a year ago and it's really putting up the monthly payment. I wonder if it's a diesel thing?

Post #18550997th Sep 2017 12:43 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I was doing the maths on a Landmark as well and they did not add up for me as I felt many dealers are holding onto cars at £45k ish that should really be £40k max. However, they will probably sell so I don't blame them.

Mate who sells LR was telling me that sub five year old D4s are an easy sell but D5s are hard as 'people don't like the back of it'. Obviously if the factory can just switch to Velar then JLR will be ok. Shame though.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #18551097th Sep 2017 1:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >