Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

RECOVERY OPTIONS ON THE D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WILLF

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
RECOVERY OPTIONS ON THE D3

Other than my intro this is my first post. Took the plunge and purchased an 07 SE with 110K on the clock. Coming from a Defender stable (1 x TDi 90, 1 x 110 TD5 d/c, 1 x series 3) one area I have not investigated are the recovery options of the more 'delicate' Disco3.
I would not normally leave the black track without at least a spade, snatch strap and a Hi Lift.
What do I leave home with in the D3?

Is an airlift jack the only way to lift the vehicle in mud or off a rock?

Are there any dangers in lifting the vehicle - eg interms of damaging the air suspension etc.?

How do you snatch with a D3 - front and rear?

Does it mind being lifted and thrown sideways out of a rut?

Many thanks,
WILLF

Post #8432314th Oct 2011 7:55 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the site WILLF Thumbs Up

Without modification to the vehicle there's nowhere to attach a hi-lift so an air-jack is the best (and safer) option
Air suspension won't be damaged by lifting the vehicle
There are decent front and rear recovery points built in but I'd avoid snatch recovery's (but I would with any vehicle), it's 3 tons + the resistance of whatever it's stuck in by the time you've got a strong enough rope and vehicle to do the snatch the forces involved to complete a snatch recovery are huge. I'd go for winching it if possible
Lifting an throwing any vehicle sideways out of rut could cause damage but as long as it's done with care it should be okay.
The idea is not to get stuck if you can Wink

No matter how experienced you are if you've not driven one off-road before I'd recommend getting some training, they're quite a different vehicle off-road to your previous ones and you may well be surprised at what they can do with seemingly little effort Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #8432354th Oct 2011 8:16 am
WILLF

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Great, thanks Slimer! Thumbs Up
I think I will get some protection first - rock slider and underbody protection and then take it from there.

I guess with a rock slider Hi-Lift points issue will be solved. I am thinking of an aftermarket replacement bumper up front as well.

Everything in the D3 seems to be done in slow mo' - in such a relaxed mood. The Defenders seem to require a far more intense offroad driving style.

I am also running Wrangler MTR's on 19" wheels. The rubber does not seem to have the endurance of the BFG's or Coopers. I have a set of 18" wheels as wll - waiting for a massive back order of BFG A/T 265/65 R18. I guess tyres are discussed to death on tyre specific threads Wink

Post #8432544th Oct 2011 9:09 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Did one trip on BFG AT and they have now become my road tyre Evil or Very Mad . If you want a decent performing off road tyre you will need to look at some sort of mud tread. I found that there was a huge amount of under steer in sand/mud with AT's on. Maybe the weight of the car Question

Post #8434174th Oct 2011 5:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >