Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

A reliable discovery, is there such a thing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Friend of mine sold his D3 to another friend, then the engine needed a total rebuild as was on its last legs and not far off going bang. Not high mileage and only the best of the best fuel wise, in the country they live in supermarket fuel doesn’t exist plus fixed prices so he always went for Shell, or was it Esso. Confused

Plus not sure how different fuel quality, if supermarket fuel is of a lower quality which is open to debate, will stop beating shells rotating or cranks snapping.

All part of the lottery. Thumbs Up

Post #21776893rd Oct 2020 5:27 pm
Dimcandle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Poor fuel leads to poor injectors
Poor injectors lead to oil contaminated with fuel amongst other problems. Especially on Euro V or VI diesels
Contaminated oil my well be the cause of crank and bearing problems.....

Years ago I stopped the fleet using supermarket fuel. Injector faults cut by 80%

Supermarkets buy their fuel from the same refineries everybody else is but they also but the contaminated end of tank stuff that the big boys don't. Nor do they use any of the additives and detergents the big boys do.

Poor quality fuel, it kills diesels.

Post #21777023rd Oct 2020 6:49 pm
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

My brothers buddy delivers diesel. He leaves the Kingsbury fuel terminal near Brum each day and delivers to random places. BP/supermarkets/Shell are on his run. Same fuel in his trailer……

Post #218137720th Oct 2020 9:40 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

many many years ago, in a lifetime far far away when I was younger and fitter and not broken, I was posted within UK and got friendly with a guy who ran the fuel accounts for the armoured TA unit in the barracks next door to ours.
He invited me to join him in syphoning off 20 litres of petrol out the fuel tanks of a couple of the vehicles to use in our personal cars (I of course declined as this would have been theft Whistle )
I told him I wasn't going to use crappy army fuel delivered in an unmarked civilian tanker in my 2 year old Astra GTE.
But the same tanker delivered to the shell garages in the area so it was exactly the same fuel. Maybe its the same with supermarket fuel and branded fuel ?
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #218143321st Oct 2020 7:32 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Dimcandle Thumbs Up

Dead right poor quality fuel certainly causes problems.

I had my D3 from new for 8+ years, and always refuelled with best quality fuel. I covered 82.2k miles @ 25.5 MPG.

The only repairs & replacement other than "service items" was a HPFP @ 25k miles, probably due to a single occurrence of mis-fuelling !

I added Redex to fuel for the first 30k miles, and Castrol Actevo thereafter.

I certainly wasted my money in paying for a Warranty Direct warranty Big Cry

A great car.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #218143821st Oct 2020 8:07 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

kevofcov wrote:
My brothers buddy delivers diesel. He leaves the Kingsbury fuel terminal near Brum each day and delivers to random places. BP/supermarkets/Shell are on his run. Same fuel in his trailer……

RogB wrote:
But the same tanker delivered to the shell garages in the area so it was exactly the same fuel. Maybe its the same with supermarket fuel and branded fuel ?

It certainly used to be the case that the "premium" petrol was the ordinary petrol but the delivery driver added stuff manually when filling the "premium" storage tanks. I think this process was changed as they found the "premium-ness" varied too much depending on generosity of the driver.

Post #218144121st Oct 2020 8:34 am
Dimcandle

RogB wrote:

Allegedly it's down to the additives that the premium brands add to their fuel that the supermarkets don't

An acquaintance who works at Stanlow also tells me that the supermarkets but the "ends" of the tanks that are close to empty ad consequently take the older and more contaminated fuel. I don't know how true that is though.

Post #218144921st Oct 2020 8:46 am
Dimcandle

kevofcov wrote:

But not the same additives used by each retailer

Post #218145021st Oct 2020 8:47 am
Dimcandle

NJSS wrote:
Dimcandle Thumbs Up

Dead right poor quality fuel certainly causes problems.

I had my D3 from new for 8+ years, and always refuelled with best quality fuel. I covered 82.2k miles @ 25.5 MPG.

The only repairs & replacement other than "service items" was a HPFP @ 25k miles, probably due to a single occurrence of mis-fuelling !

I added Redex to fuel for the first 30k miles, and Castrol Actevo thereafter.

I certainly wasted my money in paying for a Warranty Direct warranty Big Cry

A great car.

NJSS

As my day job I run a moderate sized fleet of vans and lorries.
That fleets runs 17,000 miles on a Monday morning!

I pay a lot of attention to fuel and repair costs, I've kept records up until a few years ago on the cost differential of using supermarket fuel to reputable fuel.
The numbers were clear and we don't use supermarket fuel anymore......

Post #218145121st Oct 2020 8:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Dimcandle wrote:
RogB wrote:

Allegedly it's down to the additives that the premium brands add to their fuel that the supermarkets don't

An acquaintance who works at Stanlow also tells me that the supermarkets but the "ends" of the tanks that are close to empty ad consequently take the older and more contaminated fuel. I don't know how true that is though.

Re tank ends, that would mean that the fuel is extracted from the top of the tank, or top of the fuel level. Surely these tanks have their outflow at the bottom, much simpler to do and means no dregs that should be charged rent.

Click image to enlarge

Post #218145221st Oct 2020 8:53 am
Ian 2206

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The bottom of a fuel tank is usually has a water drain.....fuel floats on water....the water comes from condensation etc in the tank. In your car it washes into the fuel with car movement and is burnt in the combustion process.
Fuel from the tank will be extracted from an area fairly low to the bottom of the tank.
 D3 HSE, Stornoway grey, 2007 MY, side steps, privacy glass, door protection strips.  
Post #218146821st Oct 2020 11:02 am
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A few years ago when I lived in the US, I was working on a project for a company called Lubrizol based in Ohio. The project was power electronics and control systems for engine dynamometers. Lubrizol are a huge corporation that specialize in making additive packages for oil and fuel. At the plant I was working at they had upwards of 200 dyno's running endurance testing on all types of vehicles, gasoline, diesel, commercial you name it. I spent around 12 months on that project on and off and worked with quite a few of their engineers.

They basically explained to me that all fuel and oil base stock is the same, comes from the same refineries etc etc.. the brand names then buy "packages" developed by Lubrizol to add to their base stock, the bigger brand names tend to buy the best proven additive packages (and of course have the best marketing campaigns) So it's a fact that the bigger brands have better products, although all of them have to meet the same common standards for minimum performance.

I still just put supermarket Diesel in my Discovery though.
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #218147121st Oct 2020 11:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >