Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Relocating the rear centre aux output help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Garwood56

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Relocating the rear centre aux output help

Has anyone relocated the rear centre aux output into the armrest cubby. If so any tricks, help please. Thanks.

Post #23359028th May 2023 8:21 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Not relocation but mine didn't have the aux so i fitted one at the rear in the factory location and one near the RH 12V socket, 3 core wire and 3.5mm socket from element14, RS online or any good electrical parts retailer.
Pulled them out when i fitted my android head unit in favour of bluetooth streaming.

Post #23359229th May 2023 12:52 am
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

That's a neat and clever idea !

Not done that on my D4, but I did successfully pipe sound to headphone sockets in all corners of a Renault Espace so my children could enjoy music and audio on long journeys - that was before days of headrest displays.

I'm pretty sure the audio jack socket behind the cubby isn't of the switching type (e,g, where plugging-in deactivates speakers elsewhere), so electrically it should be a simple matter of taking 3 wires (ideally two wires and the third is a coax shield) onwards to the new socket.

There's a really simple and non-disruptive way to do it - leave the existing AUX jack socket in place and make up or buy an extension - that way you get the flexibilty of keeping the existing standard socket if you need it in future.

A quick and crude approach would be to buy something like this (link below), plug the male end into your existing audio AUX outlet, and have the female end hanging loose in the cubby recess - this will work if you're happy to drill big enough holes to thread the extension through the console outer skin (near the existing audio outlet) and in the cubby lining. You can make a job like that look FAIRLY neat by fitting rubber grommets into the oversize holes :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BestPlug-Stereo-A...00MQUSQM6/

Note the detail of using a 90-degree jack plug so it doesn't intrude much into the rear footwell.

You can make a much neater job by snipping-off the female end of the extension and drilling holes just big enough for the unterminated cable - you can then solder-on and fit a surface-mount 3.5mm stereo audio jack socket into a hole in the cubby lining, but it'll be a hassle tightening the securing nut behind the lining; maybe just glue the socket into the hole ? Bit kludgy ......

Or you could fit a little surface-mount box in the cubby into which you mount the stereo audio female jack socket. Guess you could also fit that into the cubby hinged LID as long as you run the cable so it doesn't snag or chaff.

Electrically this is really easy stuff, the decision lies in how NEATLY you want it to be installed - which is what takes the time !!

Send me a P.M. if you want pointers to suppliers; shame we no longer have Maplin where you could just walk off the street and pick desired bits off the shelves Sad((

Cheers Smile))

Post #23359329th May 2023 9:21 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I went with one of these bluetooth things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403845310129?ha...BM4oOQg4Bi

Connected power to the rear of the cigar lighter.

Then play music from iPhone

Post #23359419th May 2023 12:10 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Plus 1 in retrofitting an aux socket in my centre console , got a wiring loom that was plug and play without having to alter any wiring on the back of the radio unit

Click image to enlarge

Post #23359749th May 2023 3:43 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

KPTV8 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the audio jack socket behind the cubby isn't of the switching type (e,g, where plugging-in deactivates speakers elsewhere)

It is a switching type of socket. When nothing is plugged in it earths both signal wires. I cut the top off a 3.5mm stereo plug and put a blob of araldite on it to insulate it. That plugs in and leaves the cable free for use elsewhere. You could use a bit of toothpick or matchstick just as easily.

Post #23359759th May 2023 4:05 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks for correcting my wrong assumption - bit daft of me not to check first.
Yes it makes sense the signal wires are grounded when not in use - and neat idea there to use a dummy jack plug to regain open circuit Smile))

Post #233680317th May 2023 9:28 am
Sidestick

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

i use a dummy jack to enable the aux audio signal from an external multimedia source connected directly to the harness, when the MM source is not in use i can simply plug a 3,5mm from a phone or mp3 player removing the dummy jack Thumbs Up
 - Easy-Lift suspension module 4.0
- GoodWinch 9500 lb
- Full underbody protections
- Tree/Rock sidebars
- Prospeed roofrack & ladder
- Compressor guard
- Raised Air Intake
- Driving lights (2+4)
- 50 mm Waffle boards
- Altox Heater control
- Overland Rooftop Tent
- Rear seats entertainment