DISCO4.COM > General

Removable Towbar height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Griffmaster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Removable Towbar height

Hi,

Now picked up our new TDV6 S which has the Land Rover removable type towball fitted and wondered how any of you guys who might have them find them, particularly in respect to the ball height?

First impression is that it looks low, maybe as low as the fixed towball was on the Disco 2 when loaded to 90kg.

The Land Rover dealer assures me that it should not go any lower under load due the the manner in which the air suspension operates and maintains the ride height but I'm not convinced yet and am anxious to try.

Hope I have not made the wrong choice of towball for a Twin Axle Caravan.

Regards.

Griff.

Post #7315626th Jul 2006 6:42 am
Pelyma

England 

I tow a Fleetwood Heritage TA and don't have any issues, although I wouldn't want it any lower.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #7315926th Jul 2006 7:59 am
W6CJW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I tow a Swift Conqueror TA towing height is spot on Wink Unlike the fixed height bar on my old D2.
 D4 3.0 HSE cameras,Hybrid TV, 20" alloys, heated wheel, privacy, Tow pack.
Departed RRS TDV8 HSE Full Arden kit in TEAL and colour coded everything.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

I never drive faster than I can see! 

Post #7316026th Jul 2006 8:21 am
zebadee

Ireland 

When I was deciding which tow bar to fit to my D3, I measured the heights of both the removable bar & the multi height bar. Then I compared these heights to the tow bar on my ‘95 Tdi discovery & found that the removable bar was “WAY” lower than what I had on my existing Disco. Only the multi height bar, set on quite a high setting matched the height I needed.

So most definitely the removable bar on the D3 would not have towed my twin axle trailer level, like on my older Discovery. But the multi height does the job just fine.

Another consideration about the multi height bar vs the removable swan neck, is that the multi height one is always there. By that I mean, should you have some idiot give you a rear end shunt in traffic, say at a red traffic light, they’ll hit the tow bar first, thereby saving you from suffering rear bumper damage. Shocked

Post #7317426th Jul 2006 9:00 am
Pelyma

England 

I leave my towbar on but it doesn't look so ugly as the fixed one. If you are towing trailers which are often very heavily loaded then the fixed multi height is best, but for caravans in the UK the swan neck is fine IMO Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #7320726th Jul 2006 10:39 am
Griffmaster

So am I correct in assuming that the suspension/towball will not go any lower than it is now when I load it up due to the air suspension?

Post #7321326th Jul 2006 11:32 am
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Griffmaster wrote:
So am I correct in assuming that the suspension/towball will not go any lower than it is now when I load it up due to the air suspension?

Yes you are right.

The air suspension does a great job of keeping the whole car level.

Just for the record the towball height should be set by EC regulations.

See the following text and note that the caravan height is always more than the car towball height so that you get some 'nose down' when towing to improve stability.

Quote:
TOWBALL HEIGHT
In all instances it is imperative that the correct towball height specification is met.
Caravan: 415mm +/-35mm
Car: 385mm +/-35mm
These measurements are taken on a level surface and represent the distance from the ground to either the centre of the towball or the centre of the
coupling head. This requirement is part of EC regulations and must be adhered to.

Just for the record, I am horrified by how many Disco 1 and 2 drivers that insist on not using a drop plate to lower the towball to the EC figure and thus tow with the caravan 'nose up'

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #7322326th Jul 2006 1:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

does this also apply to horseboxes and trailers?

Im thinking of picking up a towbar on ebay (hopefully cheap as money is tight at the moment). It would be used for trailer towing (yet to source a trailer to borrow) and in the near future a horse box.

anyone able to give me some reassurance from exerience that the removable is the way to go?
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7322626th Jul 2006 1:16 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I use my removable for a Thule bike rack mostly, but I did once tow a large twin axel trailer carrying a medium sized digger that must have weighed more than two tonnes. The removable was fine and the suspension sorted the height out perfectly.

Get the removable. It does most jobs. I think the fixed towbar looks ugly and would get the in the way if off-roading. If in the future you want to change to a fixed towbar, you can sell the removable on eBay, probably for the price you paid for it.
 Matt  
Post #7322926th Jul 2006 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

good point!
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7323826th Jul 2006 2:18 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I tow an 8 metre, 1900Kg Elddis Crusader Superstorm and the removable towbar/air suspension combination ensures that the van is spot on when hitched.

Woldn't want the fixed towbar as I'm sure my shins would be a mass of bruises by now!!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #7324326th Jul 2006 2:30 pm
Griffmaster

Quote:
I tow an 8 metre, 1900Kg Elddis Crusader Superstorm and the removable towbar/air suspension combination ensures that the van is spot on when hitched.

Ours is an 8 metre, 1700kg Bailey Senator Louisiana so I am encouraged so far.

Thanks Guys. Smile

Post #7324526th Jul 2006 2:39 pm
Ecosse

I certainly find that the detachable towhook is slightly too low for a commercial trailer (it is probably fine for caravans) & can result in the trailer actually lifting the rear of the D3 slightly which can unsettle its balance Sad Comparing it with both a D2 & a 110 this is definitely the case. However, I have found that the answer is to load the trailer so that it is very slightly nose heavy, thereby lowering the trailers nose height & everything is fine then! D3 is an excellent towcar & the car's electronics seem to adjust for when towing.

Post #7327526th Jul 2006 4:43 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Ok so………..I’ve just went out & measured the tow ball heights of the “Two other Discovery’s here “ 8)

The ’95 Tdi has a height from the ground to the centre of the ball of 19 ins or 480mm

While the ’02 Td5 has a height of 18 ½ ins or 470mm, again from ground to ball centre.

These measurements are not millimetre perfect, but very close. Both Discos tow my “Challenger” trailer perfectly level & stable empty or loaded.

The LR accessories brochure states that with the D3, the removable swan neck tow bar has a height of only 400mm with the multi height bar giving varying heights between 300mm & 500mm.

For the Range Rover Sport, the swan neck is again listed as giving a tow height of 400mm, while the multi height gives between 350mm & 450mm.

So while the 70 or 80 mm difference between my older Discos & the D3 swan neck is not huge, it was enough to convince me to go for the multi height bar. True it’s not the prettiest, but it does fit in quite well with the utilitarian nature of the D3. I think on a RRS though it might be a bit rough & ready.

I guess it really depends on how much towing you do with your D3 which tow bar to choose. If you’re only an occasional tower, well then the swan neck is a very neat option & as “Albourneboy” stated it could save your shins. However, if you’re constantly towing trailers you may never take off the swan neck, so you could be better off with the multi height bar.

You can also mount the light socket on the multi height bar, thereby saving you having to go around with the cover off the rear bumper, which just looks so ugly Shocked

Or worse, having to take it off & put it back on, every single time you want to tow a trailer.

Back to how often you use the car for towing really.

Post #7329326th Jul 2006 5:55 pm
Griffmaster

Connected up for the first time yesterday with full noseweight (85kg at towball height) on the caravan but the car empty which displayed an obvious downward attitude.

Nothing ridiculous but lower than the TD5 setup so as long as when I load the car it does not go any lower, should be OK.

As we know, nose up is a no no, nose level looks good but nose down slightly is the best but how much down is too much - don't know.

Off to Scotland on Thursday which is 400 miles for us so will just have to wait and see.

Thanks.

Griff.

Post #7440030th Jul 2006 11:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >