Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing Headlights to fit Lamp Guards....Help!??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
davidbe

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Removing Headlights to fit Lamp Guards....Help!??

Good Afternoon

I'm new to the forum - so go easy on me! Having been a Series 2 V8 owner for years, I picked up a 54 plate series 3 V8 this weekend, and went about the task of personalising it.

I've bought some front and rear light guards, but not being particularly technically minded, am struggling to remove the front lights to fit the brackets (found the grill release clips though!!).

Hopefully this has been posted somewhere else before, but I couldn't find it, so any help would be gladly received.

I found a link else where to removing the rear lights, but any hints/tips from someone that's done that before would be great.

Many thanks (in advance) for your help.

David

Post #53332312th Oct 2009 1:29 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Front lights are easy peasy.

Once the grill is off, look for the two "runners" per light - lift these up - might need an adjustable pipe wrench and a liberal squirting of WD40 - and the lights will slide forward.

I think Wiggs has a picture in his gallery - try using the site search for more information http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/search.php

Post #53333212th Oct 2009 1:52 pm
SN

there are two metal sliders at the back corners of each light - each has a (small) lip which you have to pull on

it can be an absolute pain - I use a lever (end of a big flat blade screw driver) whilst protectingthe lamp itself to force the sliders up - you could get some WD40 in there to lubricate but I think at least 50% of the lugs the sliders latch onto are hidden - I'll see if I have a photo anywhere
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #53333312th Oct 2009 1:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

This picture shows two of the lugs (with the plastic crosses on) - two more towards the centre - the sliders are mounted on the lamp itself

And this one shows the top of ONE of the sliders (just behind orange bit) - I think the other one might be in the jaws of the wrench
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #53333512th Oct 2009 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Try http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic20190.html for some tips too.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #53333712th Oct 2009 2:06 pm
davidbe

Thanks both of you. I saw the sliders, but as you say , they were solid - and not knowing which way to push, pull etc I didn't want to risk breaking them off.

So a squirt of WD40 and some forceful application upwards by the sounds of it.

Cheers

David

Post #53333912th Oct 2009 2:08 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I changed bulbs in both mine this morning, so some fresh memories:
Note that you can pull the sliders too high; you can see the outside sliders lining up with the lugs to get it right; the inner ones need a little fiddle but effectively raise to the same height.

In spite of the fact that I never go off-road, I had grass, mud and grit jamming the sliders; whilst WD40 may not be a real lubricant it certainly gets things moving.

I found that I needed to gently lever my lights from underneath to release them; to prevent damage I used a plastic Ikea kids knife Whistle

Put a blanket down where you're going to rest the unit to prevent scratching the lens...and for God's sake, don't drop it when the electrical cable unplugs!

Good luck!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #53334112th Oct 2009 2:10 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
In spite of the fact that I never go off-road, I had grass, mud and grit jamming the sliders; whilst WD40 may not be a real lubricant it certainly gets things moving.

Never go off road! Well it must have been a mirage following me about through 3 ft of muddy gritty water at the weekend! Rolling with laughter

I put light guards on last week and the advice her is sound, a bit of WD40 and possibly a little help from some pliers or similar leaverage and you're sorted. Two per light and then a reasonable tug to get the unit out. Clip the guards on, and push the light back. Very easy.

I assume you've been able to remove the grill? If not there is loads of posts on here showing how to do that.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #53334712th Oct 2009 2:27 pm
davidbe

Thanks Stu. Yes, the grill was a doddle.

Presumably the back light guards are straight forward?

Post #53335112th Oct 2009 2:32 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Stu wrote:
Never go off road! Well it must have been a mirage following me about through 3 ft of muddy gritty water at the weekend! Rolling with laughter
That wasn't off-road, that was one of Her Majesty's byways, and subject to all pertinent road traffic legislation Whistle Whistle Whistle Rolling with laughter Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #53335512th Oct 2009 2:41 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:

Presumably

But I don't have rear light guards yet, so I've not taken them off. I'm sure they are easy to remove though. I can't remember if I removed the rear light to change a broken bulb or not, but I think I did and I think it was very easy. Sorry I know that's of no help! I'm sure if you do a search you'll find the answer and some instructions. Might be worth looking in the manual or you can always try the Land Rover owner info site.

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com

if you do a search for VUB501380 on the D3 accessories it should show you the light guard fitting instructions for the rear lights. All other accessory fittings can be found on the site as well.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #53335912th Oct 2009 2:46 pm
SN

davidbe wrote:
Thanks Stu. Yes, the grill was a doddle.

Nope - you need to drill yer bodywork for that one Whistle Wink
Post #53340912th Oct 2009 4:26 pm
SN

get the docs off www.ownerinfo.landrover.com and if you have a full kosher kit you will be drilling large holes for rivnuts (and need a rivnut tool)

there is a 'bodge' (if you need it) where you drill smaller holes and use selftappers instead - I've used that approach on both my D3's as I had second hand guards
Post #53342312th Oct 2009 4:42 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Old thread I know, but I'm looking to fit these at the weekend and the official Land Rover instructions show the rivnuts being glued in with silicone and no rivnut tool in sight!. Does this work??? Shocked

EDIT: In contrast to the ladder instructions which show a rivnut tool IS used.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #62350119th Mar 2010 1:02 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Andy

You'll need a rivnut tool. Silicone will not be strong enough. I was going to bring a rivnut tool over for someone at the meet last week but they didn't need it. If you want to borrow I can give it to SWMBO on Mon and you could collect from there. Let me know if that helps you at all Thumbs Up
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #62352619th Mar 2010 1:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >