Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Replacement front lower control arm - Britpart OEM, Eurospar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
twr7cx

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Replacement front lower control arm - Britpart OEM, Eurospar

I'm in need of replacing the front lower control arms on one of our vehicles as the rear hydrobush has failed causing clunking over bumps. Have been looking at options from suppliers and the international freight quotes for such large heavy items.

Has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) with LR073367GK and LR073369GK from Britpart OEM? Many of the suppliers list this as an OEM type replacement part equivalent to the genuine Land Rover item.

However, the Sales Team at Island4x4 advise:

Quote:
No sorry I can’t sell these are Britpart OEM and not an actual OEM. I have had too many returns of these in the past.

The Eurospare ones I list online are the best quality we have found without spending out for Genuine ones.

They recommend either the more expensive genuine Land Rover or their cheaper Eurospare pattern part. Any experiences with the Eurospare pattern part?

And before it's suggested, I'd prefer to stay with the hydrobush setup on this vehicle so a Meyle HD or Superpro solid bush setup isn't being considered for this one.
 Mine - modified MY03 LT L318 Discovery 2a HSE Td5 15P
Hers - MY12 L319 Discovery 4 Lion 2.7L TDV6
Dads - MY98 LJ Discovery ES 3.9L V8 

Post #218830820th Nov 2020 11:36 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My experience with Britpart is 50/50 i had some very bad fitting stuff from them, and good stuff.. but 50% is too much, so i avoid them if i can..

untill now, never had a complaint about europspare parts..

if they advice you not to use Britpart in this case... i tend to believe them...

they want as less complaints (and there fore returns) as possible, because each return is a huge profit loss (or better, costs them really money in to the negative) for them, so they know what is good and/or not..

do not forget profit margins in automotive by european resellers (so not chinese) are sometimes less than 20% , one return paid by them, will cost more than the profit they initially made on the order... let alone sent you another one (with again shipment costs = double minus..)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #218832020th Nov 2020 12:18 pm
disco4ever

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have a search for LEMFOERDER - is part of ZF Automotive , the famous maker of the gearboxes and others.

I have bought them many times to replace the wishbones on D3 and D4. No complaints. Except they are not cheap.

https://www.motointegrator.de/artikel/1448...r-40072-01
 Achim

own garage certified LR tech

Disco 2 TD5 MY 2001 - gone but still driven by another owner
Defender 110 TD5 driving me bananas with all faults
Disco 3 TDV 6 HSE MY 2005 gone @280.000 km
Disco 4 SDV 6 HSE MY 2012 

Post #218833520th Nov 2020 1:57 pm
latnutgub

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi, Meyle work very well in the bushing dept. Not much different from the originals.

Post #218833620th Nov 2020 1:57 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I recently fitted a Eurospares rear arm from Island 4x4. Simply judging the part on appearance and finish it seems to be good quality, compared with various other arms I have used. The cams fit properly, and bolt heads are all same socket size which is helpful.
 Chris  
Post #218835420th Nov 2020 3:02 pm
twr7cx

latnutgub wrote:
Hi, Meyle work very well in the bushing dept. Not much different from the originals.

They're completely different from the originals - the Meyle HD units are a solid rubber bush rather than the hydrobush setup that the originals are.

In saying that this is the path I think I will take. It seems I was confusing the Meyle HD units and Superpro urethane products. There's a lot of reports in Australia about those that have replaced with polyurethane that the ride has become harsher. So far I've read numerous positive comments from those using the Meyle HD and no negatives. From the reports the ride quality seems to be comparable to standard and the life span improved by their greater durability.

Post #218866621st Nov 2020 9:37 pm
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I’ve fitted arms with the Meyle HD bushes in earlier on this year and it’s made the ride and steering in my opinion quite a lot more sensitive to road conditions compared to stock arms. They’ve since bedded in a little and become slightly less harsh but to begin with I was considering removing them again feeling like I’d made a big mistake.

Post #218871122nd Nov 2020 9:34 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Have you had your vehicle properly aligned subsequently?
I have just fitted the Meyle HD arms and was well impressed with them...however the car tracked totally differently despite thinking the alignment was set up as before... clearly different now the car has been laser aligned...

The HD bushes are less saggy than the OEM’s fitted before but not too dissimilar.....get my vote!

Post #218871522nd Nov 2020 9:47 am
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yep everything is absolutely tip top and aligned perfectly. I drive over extremely rough roads every day and found the steering wheel feedback initially to be awful, every little bit in the road you could feel through the wheel. It has since calmed down a bit but it isn’t like what it was standard, it does drive well don’t get me wrong but it is definitely harsher than before. The genuine arms removed were also in great condition (misdiagnosis of another issue) so it’s not like I’m comparing the HD stuff to clapped out genuine arms.

Post #218872022nd Nov 2020 9:58 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Yep everything is absolutely tip top and aligned perfectly. I drive over extremely rough roads every day and found the steering wheel feedback initially to be awful, every little bit in the road you could feel through the wheel. It has since calmed down a bit but it isn’t like what it was standard, it does drive well don’t get me wrong but it is definitely harsher than before. The genuine arms removed were also in great condition (misdiagnosis of another issue) so it’s not like I’m comparing the HD stuff to clapped out genuine arms.

I agree 100%. While Meyle arms are better than polyurethane ride wise, they aren’t the same feel as OE Hydra bushes. A lot more feedback up the steering wheel when going through a pothole. Going up a rough track on gravel for instance causes the steering wheel to feedback every vibration.
Hydra bushes suffer from none of this.
I can say though, using Range Rover Sport hydra bushes feel no different to D3 ones.

If you want longer life, at expense of ride comfort, go for it. But in my opinion (which is just an opinion), for the comfort the vehicle is designed for, OE hydra bushes is the way to go.

Regards
Steve

Post #218872922nd Nov 2020 10:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We fit HD arms (unless someone specifically wants a cheaper option) and we've had 0 complaints in 4 years about ride quality/longevity etc Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #218875822nd Nov 2020 11:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
twr7cx

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Have you had your vehicle properly aligned subsequently?
I have just fitted the Meyle HD arms and was well impressed with them...however the car tracked totally differently despite thinking the alignment was set up as before... clearly different now the car has been laser aligned...

And was the steering calibrated following? See https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/tight-toler...565b5d717f for discussion on this.

Post #219352212th Dec 2020 11:23 pm
twr7cx

Disco_Mikey wrote:
We fit HD arms (unless someone specifically wants a cheaper option) and we've had 0 complaints in 4 years about ride quality/longevity etc Thumbs Up

I guess it might be relative to what they're comparing them to. If their old hydrobushes were flogged out then the HD might feel an improvement, but if compared to good condition hydrobushes perhaps the difference is noticeable.

I fitted the new arms yesterday (HD units).
The rear bush bolts were a pest. Both sides the bolt was rusted solid into the bush - the nut and washers came off find but had to cut each bolt out. I greased the shaft of the new bolts to hopefully avoid this in the future - especially since the HD arms might have a longer time between replacements.
The vehicle has a roadworthy inspection on Tuesday then wheel alignment on Wednesday. After this it will be interesting to compare how it drives to our other MY12 D4 TDV6 (same year but slightly higher kms) with had a new set of genuine arms fitted to it only two years ago. One thing that may skew the comparison though is the vehicle with HD arms has Dunlop 265/60R18 tyres (slightly bigger - 1.7% or so) while the genuine arm vehicle has Goodyear's in the standard 255/60R18 sizing, which may have an effect on steering feel and road travel feel.

Post #219352512th Dec 2020 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >