DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Replacement Windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Winnie6024

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Replacement Windscreen

Hi

Driving on the M4 yesterday my front screen was hit by ...something hard enough to chip and crack the screen sufficiently to warrant a new one being fitted.

As the screen is covered bar a £50 excess I contacted my insurers and they have arranged replacement. No problems so far.

However in my formative years I worked in the windscreen replacement industry - not for long but long enough to have some reservations in regards how my vehicle is treated and the quality of replacement.

For my own peace of mind have any other members had issues with the replacement of a damaged screen during or post the procedure - forearmed is forewarned.

Thanks in advance.

Post #9765130th Oct 2006 6:57 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Nothing personaly, but do a search, as I seem to remember someone on here having a problem. From what i've read it isn't a simple screen out, screen in, but requires the bonnet to be removed to gain access.

I'm sure someone will technicaly enlighten further.

...John

Post #9766630th Oct 2006 8:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jkp

Scotland 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1737.html?highlight=windscreen

Loads of other stories when you search "windscreen" although they were some time ago.

Post #9766830th Oct 2006 8:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimhi

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had the screen replaced back in March when the vehicle was only 2-3 weeks old. In early Sep part of the trim on the A pillar came adrift on a windy motorway. Eventually, the screen company replaced the clips that hold the trim on either side of the screen (I think there are about 5 clips each side), because they had been broken when the trim was removed. Since then no problems ... and the annoying rattle that I had noticed at odd times over the summer has disappeared.
Changing the screen should be OK, but check that the clips are not damaged (or get them replaced if they are damaged).

Post #9767230th Oct 2006 9:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Windscreen replacement does not need the bonnet removed.

The clips WILL need replacing (bottom ones I think) whenever the A pillar trim is removed. Seems to be a 'standard' feature. May have changed since early builds though.

Potential issues i am aware of are...

1. Bubbles in the sealant - will cause leaks Evil or Very Mad Same on all modern vehicles though. Its such a big area to do its a real pain for the fitter.

2. When cutting away the old sealant headlining trim can be damaged.

3. Ensure they put a protective sheet over your dash ! Else it may well get scratched or splattered with sealant. Or at minimum you'll have shavings of old seal in the nooks and crannies of your dash and air vents.

4. Make sure the fitter has done a D3 before. In the early days the black trim that goes under the windscreen rubber seal and leads up to the roof rails has been known to have been cut away and not moved out of the way.

Oh ! And make sure the screen is a good one. My 1st one (changed under warranty) had smears in the sandwich where the heating elements were.

Hope all goes well.

Post #9767430th Oct 2006 9:28 pm
dodger

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does anyone have experience of retro fitting a heated front screen on disco 3 Thanks

Post #980231st Nov 2006 2:52 pm
Sib

United Kingdom 2012 LR4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

I`m on my third windscreen . Somehow seem to attract flying stones on M4 ! No problems regarding fitting but I would also like to know if its possible to retrofit a heated screen and connect it up and get my friendly dealer to fit the dash switch next time it happens ??

Post #983562nd Nov 2006 6:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Did it on my D2, wires were all there, just needed a switch & relay plus telling system that it was there. Not much help but if there are excess plugs at the corner of each screen....

Post #983572nd Nov 2006 6:11 pm
dodger

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Advice from local LR dealer is that it is easy on D2 but no not possible on D3

Post #983722nd Nov 2006 7:05 pm
croyde

Be warned. My BMW was vandalised and had both the front windows smashed in.

Called the windscreen co that my insurers use to fix it but they made such a mess of it that they broke the regulators, replacement cost over £150, and I am still fighying the insurance company for money to fix it.

Problem is that cars are much more complex today and I don't like the idea of a couple of wide boys fixing my windows. Should really be done at the dealer but I don't see insurance companies going for it.

Post #10164214th Nov 2006 2:48 pm
Winnie6024

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
2-4 months Later..........

Windscreen was replaced with no apparent issues way back in November, however whilst driving up the M6 in late January my offside pillar cowling became detached at about 50mph in high crosswinds only being held on at the bottom where it goes under the bonnet. Having stopped and tried to refit and having the same thing happen I noted the lack of clips either in the cowling of left in the bodywork of the car. Bottom line is that none of the dealerships in Glasgow (my destination) sold the clips separately so once back home in Bucks I had to order a whole new cowling c/w clips - I fitted this and havent had a problem since - I have also checked the nearside cowling and have a full compliment of clips holding it in place - as a precaution I kept the remaining 2 clips from the old one just in case. I also wrote to RAC Windscreens sending photos and a copy of the invoice for the replacement cowling and received full reimbursement 2 weeks later.

I also recently found that the plastic casing behing the interior rear view mirror had also been refitted incorrectly after one side of it fell off! No damage though just a but of commonsense required to refit it properly.

The lesson learned here for me is argue with your insurer and insist that any screen replacement is completed under the auspices of LR themselves rather than your insurers preferred supplier- LR may elect to sub the job out one of the many windscreen companies out there, but whomever they chose will probably have at least done the job before (and you will possible get an original LR screen too!)

Post #13921315th Mar 2007 2:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >