Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

reprogram key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
reprogram key

would any one know whether i need to reprogram my key after fitting a new battery

short story key was working intermittently tried recharging on a toothbrush charger no change checked battery showed 3.2v changed it anyway now the remote is dead not working at all

just to add the spare key worked perfectly even when second key failed to work so the problems not the car just the spare key anyone had a similar experience would like to hear Thumbs Up

also anyone got a link for a new key (cheapish) that will work and not just look good thanks
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #233122424th Mar 2023 9:09 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I’m assuming you’ve been through the fiddly process of swapping out the rechargeable battery….I would suggest hat either one of the solder joints you’ve made isn’t quite making contact or the replacement battery is dud (it seems to be the case that only manufacturers of these batteries that are worth soldering on is Panasonic).
There is no need to reprogram a key after changing the battery so you can rule that out of your problem solving.
If you do decide to have a new key, I can supply a new key, cut the blade and program the key to your car for you at your house or work. I’m done your way in early May (4th if my memory serves me correctly) if it helps you out Thumbs Up

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #233125625th Mar 2023 3:24 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sure you’ve fitted the new battery the correct way round? There are good cheap fobs available on Eblag but they will need programming to your Disco, use the search facility at the top of the page and all will be revealed. Thumbs Up
Check that the manual emergency unlock hidden under the passenger door thumb handle is free and working, you may be needing it!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #233125825th Mar 2023 7:40 am
eightfoot

CDS wrote:
I’m assuming you’ve been through the fiddly process of swapping out the rechargeable battery….I would suggest hat either one of the solder joints you’ve made isn’t quite making contact or the replacement battery is dud (it seems to be the case that only manufacturers of these batteries that are worth soldering on is Panasonic).
There is no need to reprogram a key after changing the battery so you can rule that out of your problem solving.
If you do decide to have a new key, I can supply a new key, cut the blade and program the key to your car for you at your house or work. I’m done your way in early May (4th if my memory serves me correctly) if it helps you out Thumbs Up

thanks for the reply i fitted a genuine panasonic battery it was/is showing 3.1v and im sure the soldering was good (done one before ok) im going to try adding the key again with my iid to see if it works but dont hold out much hope i think it has prob been dropped (women Rolling Eyes ) as the reason i changed the battery was it was intermittent on the buttons and has prob got a broken/dry joint on the pcb causing the origional problem now its been apart

Post #233128225th Mar 2023 10:56 am
eightfoot

M3DPO wrote:
Sure you’ve fitted the new battery the correct way round? There are good cheap fobs available on Eblag but they will need programming to your Disco, use the search facility at the top of the page and all will be revealed. Thumbs Up
Check that the manual emergency unlock hidden under the passenger door thumb handle is free and working, you may be needing it!

thanks the battery can only fit one way round i will see how things go regarding getting a spare key thanks for the reply

Post #233128325th Mar 2023 10:59 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I assume the other key works fine?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #233130625th Mar 2023 3:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

Re: reprogram key

eightfoot wrote:

……….just to add the spare key worked perfectly even when second key failed to work so the problems not the car ……………….

Post #233130725th Mar 2023 4:09 pm
eightfoot

Disco_Mikey wrote:
I assume the other key works fine?

yup was using both keys in tandem to see if it was the car or the key every time the intermittent key would not work the second key worked fine so car problem eliminated and been using the second key for a week now with no probs thats why i changed the battery in the second key hoping it was just the battery dying

have had another look at it today and resoldered the battery still not working but i am getting power thru various parts of the pcb so the new battery seems to be soldered correctly might try adding it via my iid to see if it will reprogram if not replacement spare key needed

cant really complain though as its a 2005 remote and i dont suppose they last forever Thumbs Up

Post #233131625th Mar 2023 6:29 pm
M3DPO

You can’t reprogram a D3 key fob, but you can reprogram a D4, not much use to you though.

Post #233131925th Mar 2023 7:58 pm
eightfoot

can it not be added as a new key or is that a no go as its already been programmed once

Post #233132325th Mar 2023 8:46 pm
eightfoot

just an update on this i have just been outside and checked this faulty key it starts the car but the remote lock/unlock buttons still dont work (working on spare key ok) anyone got a suggestion on what way to go now as i dont want to try any programming for fear of bricking my car i have ordered a cheap complete fob and have a non bt iid but just dont want to do anything that kills my car Laughing

Post #233139426th Mar 2023 4:08 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I’d say that the key is toast TBH. In the meantime at least the transponder is still functioning to allow the car to start Thumbs Up

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #233141026th Mar 2023 8:24 pm
M3DPO

If you do a search you will find guys who have purchased of Eblag and have programmed the key successfully with the Iid tool and recommend the Chinese supplier, I can’t remember the exact cost of the keys, around £25. Thumbs Up

Post #233144127th Mar 2023 8:38 am
eightfoot

CDS wrote:
I’d say that the key is toast TBH. In the meantime at least the transponder is still functioning to allow the car to start Thumbs Up

sorry another question

i have a sourced a replacement complete key (chinesey i think) if i try to reprogram this with the 1x fully functioning key i will not be able to program the faulty key (buttons not working) that currently starts the car but wont lock/unlock remotely will this then mean that this faulty key will then no longer operate and there's also the possibility that the chinesey key might not program either thus then leaving me with only 1x key that will start the car instead of the position im currently in with 2x keys that will start the car but only 1x that will get me into the car (without using the pass side key lock) also does the programming create a new code for all keys or just program new keys to the existing key/car

sorry for all the Qs but i prefer mechanical to electrical as you can see exactly what your dealing with Laughing and would rather think about what I'm going to do rather that do something and then find out that i shouldn't have done it that way Thumbs Up

Post #233153328th Mar 2023 11:50 am
M3DPO

You cannot reprogram a D3 remote key, D4 you can, to program a key it must a new Virgin key of the same frequency, you can take the metal key off the old remote and fit it to a new key.

Post #233153528th Mar 2023 12:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >