Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Re-register a commercial as a private car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Timbo1975

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Can someone comment accurately about the presence of rear curtain airbags in a commercial ??

Post #210874827th Dec 2019 5:52 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I have a MY13 D4 Commercial XS and it absolutely has only two air bags (steering wheel and passenger glovebox area).

Some (not all) the interior trim pieces in the car say airbag in a white plastic decal (the internal a-pillars being one area) but having looked inside - none have any airbag components.

I have owned a brand new D3 and later a D4 Commercial and they both followed this format.

There are none to the rear - there are officially no seats, so no passengers and therefore no requirement.

Just two airbags - hope that helps Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #210875327th Dec 2019 6:16 pm
Sea Raider

Presume the C and D pillar trim doesn't have holes for the rear and 6th and 7th seat belts to come through either?

Post #210875427th Dec 2019 6:24 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

As a matter of fact the slots are there with some very cheap looking blanks fitted over them with push in fittings securing them. Very tacky looking 😂
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #210875527th Dec 2019 6:30 pm
Timbo1975

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Sea Raider wrote:
Presume the C and D pillar trim doesn't have holes for the rear and 6th and 7th seat belts to come through either?

Yes all the mounting bolt holes and slots for the belts are present but have blanks covering them.

As far as the seats are concerned, some have some "anti tamper" bolt heads securing the "boot tray/dog guard" that need something like a locking wheel nut remover socket to undo.

Post #210876927th Dec 2019 7:42 pm
Kilovolt

The fittings are like shear head bolts. They install them with an air gun and then they 'automatically' snap at the head.

The only effective way I have seen at removing the majority of them is to weld a half-nut back onto the top of them and back them out from there. There are more than two dozen to fix in this way. It is quite a task.

All done with good purpose of course; to make the conversion of a VAT rated 'van' back into a multiple seat 'car' difficult (but not quite impossible).

Commercial Discos from southern Ireland are particularly hard to convert! Seen a few examples of their setup and for whatever reason (VAT tax law compliance assumedly) they are even harder to convert. Their fastenings are particularly more difficult to remove. Seem to recall they have threadlock on the snap-head bolts meaning they are a mare to remove.

Post #210882328th Dec 2019 7:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >