Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Re-register a commercial as a private car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Eddyhitler

United Kingdom 
Re-register a commercial as a private car?

Hi,
Does anyone have any idea how you would go about re-registering a D4 commercial as a private car? Also the costs of doing so?

Many thanks,

Post #210827524th Dec 2019 12:53 pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

It’s my understanding that once the category it is registered with is applied, that is what you have for the rest of its life.
Could be wrong, but that’s what I understand as the case?
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #210829024th Dec 2019 1:46 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It can e done quite straightforward but there are regulations to comply with which I may not be fully conversant with, if for instance side windows have been made or fitted, if rear seating has been made, wether or not VAT has been paid.
The regulations used to be disregarded once the vehicle was 5 years old but on a sliding scale up to then. Also it depends on what it is taxed as now and it’s weight carrying capacity as to how much the VED will change.
It is an offence to have windows behind the driver if it is taxed as goods, goods or farmers goods can be less VED than private depending on weight carrying capacity.
This legislation is continually changing and you must check with the appropriate licensing authority, but do your homework first, for instance a JCB is less and has some exclusions if it is taxed as a loader instead of a digger Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #210829924th Dec 2019 2:30 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Check road tax costs as well, think commercial cheaper?

Post #210838524th Dec 2019 8:30 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Commercial March last year was £250. Methinks an equivalent 7 seater D4 is getting on for double that - not sure (depending on the year and Euro 5 or 6 etc.) Shocked
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #210845625th Dec 2019 11:37 am
Timbo1975

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Firstly why would you want to?

Secondly, Commercial is around £240 /yr tax and car is £~550.

A lot are running around with seats in the back and mostly without the plastic window blanks, the MOT man checks the seats and seat belts and then passes it.

One of those loop holes.

Post #210853926th Dec 2019 11:59 am
Dannyson

England 

It might pass the MOT - but I don't suppose they check what 'Road Tax' (VED) it should be paying (I may be wrong - but doubt it). Having previous experience with insurance company's looking for a 'get out clause' - if they find any 'legal' discrepancy - such as the wrong VED being paid - then they refuse the claim.

For the unwary - it could cost them ...... their future, if the worse was to happen.... Sad
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #210864326th Dec 2019 11:53 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

guess you would need to notify insurance of " modifications"

Post #210864727th Dec 2019 12:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dannyson

England 

Yup ... my son-in-law has done that - cost him an extra £100 - but he's still to do the VED stuff....

It amazes me how much you have to 'prod' along mid 40 year olds to 'keep within the law' thus protecting themselves and there 'loved ones'.....

It winds my daughter up big time - but surely its the right thing to do? - especially being ex 'old bill' - 'oh don't keep on Dad'.... she says ....my wife says 'just leave them alone' - but how can you when you know they are vulnerable.....because they have left themselves open to loosing everything if things go wrong!?

Its a pain in the Censored - but we all know who they will be coming to when they are thousands....maybe millions of pounds in court compensation/costs...etc.... etc...
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #210866027th Dec 2019 1:30 am
Sea Raider

I presume the Commercial doesn't have any of the airbags in the rear fitted to the private models?

Post #210868027th Dec 2019 9:42 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Correct.

Only the front two airbags. No rear electric windows (unless you fit them Whistle ) and the logbook states commercial with two seats. You have an accident with 7 onboard and you are in serious trouble over and above the risk to life (i.e. insurers and the plod).

Just saying ....
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #210868827th Dec 2019 10:47 am
Sea Raider

I did wonder as I have stripped out the full interior and only the headlining remains in place
Airbags all over the place and sensors on just about every panel.
Sold all my 7 seats to a guy who was doing a conversion from Commercial

Post #210870227th Dec 2019 12:10 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Dannyson wrote:
Yup ... my son-in-law has done that - cost him an extra £100 - but he's still to do the VED stuff....

It amazes me how much you have to 'prod' along mid 40 year olds to 'keep within the law' thus protecting themselves and there 'loved ones'.....

It winds my daughter up big time - but surely its the right thing to do? - especially being ex 'old bill' - 'oh don't keep on Dad'.... she says ....my wife says 'just leave them alone' - but how can you when you know they are vulnerable.....because they have left themselves open to loosing everything if things go wrong!?

Its a pain in the Censored - but we all know who they will be coming to when they are thousands....maybe millions of pounds in court compensation/costs...etc.... etc...

I was trying to explain just this scenario to the wife the other day, saying if there was an issue everything we own, cars/house/savings/pensions the lot would all be at risk if things went wrong, she eventually got what I was trying to say.

I also think it is an age thing, as you age you appreciate what you have and how much it took to get them and how easy it could be to lose them.

Post #210870827th Dec 2019 12:38 pm
Timbo1975

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Kilovolt wrote:
Correct.

Only the front two airbags. No rear electric windows -unless you fit them

The electric windows / motors / switches etc are all in place, but the plug isn't plugged into the motor inside the door.

Post #210871427th Dec 2019 1:22 pm
Kilovolt

Ask me how I know that to be true Rolling Eyes

A few pence to resolve Thumbs Up

The motor wiring loom plug is actually cut off (at the factory) and the motor socket gunked up with silicon/adhesive or summat. Bit of patience and voila 8)

Two more posts to go to my virgin 500 count Very Happy (a mere whipper-snapper to those on into the thousands) Bow down

Last edited by Kilovolt on 27th Dec 2019 6:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #210874127th Dec 2019 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >