DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Retro fitting OEM fog light on LR3 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rud3dog

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Retro fitting OEM fog light on LR3 SE

Hi there,

I have a 2006 LR3 (Discovery 3) SE that did not come with the Xenon lights/front fog lights.
I have up graded the headlights to a pair of xenon without any issues. it was a simple plug and play.

However, fog lights that I managed to get from the local junkyard does not seem to light up.
The light works when I hook it up to a battery, thus the fog light itself does not seem to be the problem.

Interestingly, my car came with the for light button on the dash which lights up the fog light icon on the meter cluster when I press this button. Because of this, at first I thought that the front bumper is not original due to an accident, but according to the VIN search, this car did not come with fog lights.

I was wondering if I need to have the enable the fog lights at the dealership.
All the fuses seem to be okay.

Cheers,

Post #23253153rd Feb 2023 7:59 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

See here for some info:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/retrofit-fr...g+retrofit

Do you have the lighting switch with TWO pull positions (first pull front fog, second pull rear fog) or just one?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #23253173rd Feb 2023 8:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rud3dog

Fog lights on SE

Mine is a single pull type,

it goes from off=> small light=>main light =>Pull=>fog light.

Post #23253193rd Feb 2023 8:49 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Front + Rear (two pull)

Rear only (one pull)

Post #23253203rd Feb 2023 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Re: Fog lights on SE

rud3dog wrote:
Mine is a single pull type,

it goes from off=> small light=>main light =>Pull=>fog light.

Then you need to fit the switch with a position for your front fogs Smile

Assume we are talking about the fogs in the bumper corners, not additional spot/driving lights?

Post #23253213rd Feb 2023 8:51 pm
rud3dog

OEM Fog

Yes, the fogs at the bumper corners, OEM fog lights.

Looks like I'd need to replace the switch.
Interesting. I was under the assumption that the switch will turn on the front fog lights first and then the rear on second pull.

Indeed, I just checked my user manual to realize that the fog light symbol on the switch is the rear fog light...and my car did not come with the rear fog lights..

Will this be a difficult job where I have to modify the wiring?

Post #23253243rd Feb 2023 9:01 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

When Front fogs commanded on you get green icon on dash
Rear fogs is yellow icon

If a switch is expensive in USA and as you don’t need rear fogs over there, you could swap two cables round behind the switch if u want !

The rear fogs are below the reverse lights. I’m fairly sure you have them !

Post #23253253rd Feb 2023 9:17 pm
rud3dog

OEM fog lights on SE

Thanks for the note,

I just checked to realize that my car did come with the rear fog lights. Some manufacturers delete the rear fog lights here in the US, thus I was thinking that the switch is for the front fog lights.

Had I known this, I would have bought the switch from the junk yard as well. LR3s are so difficult to come by at the local junk yard. There was three through out last year, two V6 4.0 models and one V8.

But I found an affordable one on Ebay, I might order this if there is little to no re-wiring job required.

Post #23253263rd Feb 2023 9:24 pm
Pete K

Over your side of the pond there is some weird requirement to turn the fogs off when main beam on.
This is done with a small relay in the box under the hood.

So if they don’t work, that’s another thing to check it is fitted.
At the back, by wiper relays

I suspect all US cars had the relay fitted though

Post #23253323rd Feb 2023 9:42 pm
rud3dog

OEM fog lights

I will check this, thanks.

I have just placed an order for the foglight switch with the double pull feature. Hope installation goes smoothly.

Here where I am living, as I know, we are not allowed to modify the main driving light, but you can modify the fog lights. i.e) LED conversion for the fog light is possible.

Post #23253393rd Feb 2023 9:58 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I retro fitted front bumper (fender) fogs on my D3. Really easy job. The template is already on the back of the bumper/fender. Easiest done from back so remove the fender. I cut mine out with a Dremel. I had to buy the wiring loom as the plug is blanked off and is located near the front right hand corner below the headlight (at least on my RHD, so I'm assuming same location on LHD). The plug is right next to where the front parking sensors are plugged in (which I don't have fitted).

The other thing to consider is whether you want the headlights to work on Auto. If you do you will need the rear view mirror with the light sensor which is also auto dimmable. I picked mine up cheap second hand. Also if your front screen is cracked, consider replacing the screen with the rain sensor, as this is located within the plastic surround on the auto dim mirror. The windscreen has the lense so you need to buy the little bkack box, wires were already there on mine tucked behind the interior light. Once again i brought mind cheap second hand on Ebay. You don't need to change the wiper stalk. Once all done you need to turn on function in CCF.

Search on this forum Ruben (from Asturias, Spain). He has good photos of how to do all this. He helped me heaps when I did this on mine. Easy job once you have everything.

Or look up my thread Retro fit rain sensor. It has good comments and photos from both Ruben and Gstuart. Both very helpful people.

Cheers Blake

Last edited by Naki Blake on 3rd Feb 2023 10:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23253413rd Feb 2023 10:08 pm
Pete K

I think the light sensor is part of the rain sensor

Post #23253423rd Feb 2023 10:17 pm
Naki Blake

Yes you are right.

In terms of the relay I didn't need it, not a requirement in New Zealand. The space is there for the relay on mine, but no copper lugs underneath so couldn't plug in the relay even if I wanted

Post #23253433rd Feb 2023 10:21 pm
rud3dog

Yes, the foglight connectors are located on the same location, behind the right head light with a dummy connector plugged into it. I bought the foglight from the junkyard that did not come with the connector, but I found out that the connector for Dodge Durango is identical.

My car did not come with the auto dimming mirrors unfortunately. I thought about picking this part up from the junkyard as well, but I currently have a OEM style rear view mirror with a LCD display for rear camera installed and I don't want to take that out.

So I'd have to leave the "auto" light feature blank on the new switch that I have ordered.

There is no rain sensor either, but it came with a heated windshield that was disabled by the previous owner. My guess is that it was disabled to save some cost. it has a crack in it, so I am going to replace it with the heated windshield.

Naki Blake wrote:
I retro fitted front bumper (fender) fogs on my D3. Really easy job. The template is already on the back of the bumper/fender. Easiest done from back so remove the fender. I cut mine out with a Dremel. I had to buy the wiring loom as the plug is blanked off and is located near the front right hand corner below the headlight (at least on my RHD, so I'm assuming same location on LHD). The plug is right next to where the front parking sensors are plugged in (which I don't have fitted).

The other thing to consider is whether you want the headlights to work on Auto. If you do you will need the rear view mirror with the light sensor which is also auto dimmable. I picked mine up cheap second hand. Also if your front screen is cracked, consider replacing the screen with the rain sensor, as this is located within the plastic surround on the auto dim mirror. The windscreen has the lense so you need to buy the little bkack box, wires were already there on mine tucked behind the interior light. Once again i brought mind cheap second hand on Ebay. You don't need to change the wiper stalk. Once all done you need to turn on function in CCF.

Search on this forum Ruben (from Asturias, Spain). He has good photos of how to do all this. He helped me heaps when I did this on mine. Easy job once you have everything.

Or look up my thread Retro fit rain sensor. It has good comments and photos from both Ruben and Gstuart. Both very helpful people.

Cheers Blake

Post #23253493rd Feb 2023 10:55 pm
Naki Blake

As Pete points out, the sensor for the auto lights is part of the rain sensor box. Therefore you could probably get auto lights and auto wipers and keep your OEM rear view mirror. There is a black plastic cover (2 parts) that covers the stem of the rear view mirror and rain sensor. Not sure if that's needed to "light proof" the rain/light sensor or just there for cosmetic reasons.

In terms of your heated screen, I had a new windscreen fitted about a year ago, and already I've lost a couple of wires on the passenger side, so have a couple of strips that don't de-fog.

Blake

Post #23253604th Feb 2023 12:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >