DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

RETROFIT AUTO GEARBOX
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cibja

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
RETROFIT AUTO GEARBOX

Hi all

After some months having my D3 S Model and being very pleased with it, the only thing I have doubts is that I did not choose Auto Gearbox when delivery.

For that reason I was wondering if you thing it could be possible to retrofit Auto Gearbox to one Manual or if it should require so many changes that it would be not recomended ( imposiible I thing it is nothing). Do you know if Auto Models are so different to Manual ( in relation with engine structure or so) that makes impossible this change

I suppose it would require to change:

1) The gearbox in the engine box
2) Wiring to the electronic box???
3) The interior of the car where the autobox handle is ( where are the TR and Low Range buttons )
4) Review the car electronic software

Any body knows if more things should be changed?? ( Transfers,more mechanical parts or electronic apparels....)

It is only one thing that I have in mind, but probably it is not worthy to do it.

Thank you all for your comments
 Thanks all

cibja 

Post #1995586th Sep 2007 8:08 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It's probably possible but I suspect financially it'll make more sense to trade your manual in for a auto
 The End  
Post #1995846th Sep 2007 9:38 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi cibja,

First, welcome to the site. I hope you find it useful!

I think that on older, less complex cars, it would have been possible to retrofit an Auto box instead of a manual.

In the case of the D3, the gearbox is linked into the vehicle's systems (including Terrain Response, Transfer Box etc) so tightly that I think the cost of doing this change would probably be much more than simply trading in your current manual D3 for a new auto D3.

I like your philosophy that nothing is impossible (aunque los milagros suelen tardar un poco más). In this case, I doubt even one of our really experienced guys (such as 10forCash or ChrisTyler) would not want to try and do this modification.

It would be technically interesting project to undertake, but I guess that ultimately you would never finish getting it working properly and the cost (both money and labour) would be very high.

I don't want to be even more negative, but if you wanted to sell the car at some point, you would lose even more money....nobody would want to pay good money for a car that has been modified in this way.

Maybe you could talk with your dealer about exchanging it for a km0 or new TDV6 Auto.

Good luck and please let us know what you do in the end, Thumbs Up
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #1995956th Sep 2007 9:53 am
cibja

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you for your answers

I supposed it, but it was just to confirm. I will wait until I change the car, that will not be soon ( it was complicated to convence my wife to spend so much money in one car).
 Thanks all

cibja 

Post #2000147th Sep 2007 6:13 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The front differential ratio is also different, not changing it would cause traction control errors and spurious DSC activity along with premature centre differential wear...

Post #2001477th Sep 2007 12:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >