Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Reversing camera fitted, with problems though
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kenny

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Reversing camera fitted, with problems though

I have bought and fitted a cheap (ex fleabay) reverse camera that replaces one of the number plate lights, the CCF has been modified (with BBS faultmate MSV2) and the touchscreen image comes on automatically upon selecting reverse. The problem is that the picture is... well... not a picture.. Big Cry
Click image to enlarge

My first thoughts were that the camera is no good (what can you expect for $30 afterall) but after playing around with it it works fine on the TV and Venture cam inputs.
Click image to enlarge

So my question is does anybody have any ideas what's gone wrong?
I have tried several times to change, resolder etc the connection, incase that was bad, but I think it may be a stray CCF setting that may have wrong, mixing up the signal?

The camera is a PAL format, I have tried the 2 formats in the diagnostic screen with no sucsess. I can't find anywhere to change the default format other than selecting one or the other on the diagnostic screen.

A HUGE thank you to Wiggs and BellAutos for the posts thay have made which has made the install even possible, I never would have known the 6 pin connector on the back of the screen was for 3 AV inputs (thanks Wiggs) and there is no hope I could have got the centre consul and dash off with out Bell Autos PDF Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #81085725th Jun 2011 11:20 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The default camera setting should be NTSC

So when you put it in either cam / reverse or tv through the diagnostics ... It should be fuzzy ... You then press the pal / NTSC button and it will correct it's self .

However when you do it automatically it's looking for a NTSC signal as standard.

You only option is to get an NTSC camera
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #81086225th Jun 2011 11:57 am
wiggs

Opps .. Just read the post properly .

So your saying even when in diagnostic mode and reverse camera selected ( pins 2 and 5.... 2 being the signal wire and 5 being ground ) you get a picture .. But by selecting the NTSC/ pal button it makes no difference Question
Post #81086425th Jun 2011 12:05 pm
kenny

Yes that's correct, it makes no difference on pins 2 and 5, but on pins 1 & 4 and 3 & 6 it works great (with PAL)? I thought it may have something to do with the car trying to give a graphical display (linked to the reverse sensors) and the actual video? But maybe I'm reading too much into it Confused

On another note, I currently have it hooked up via the Venture cam (calls it companion on the diagnostic screen) which gives a good picture, but I'm not sure how to get the display on the screen other than the diagnostic screen. I enabled camera 1 and it gives a option on the 4x4 screen but no picture.. should I disable the wireless frequency? So much trial and error, so little weekend!!

Post #81086725th Jun 2011 12:19 pm
wiggs

Hmm very strange .

I will have a test on mine and see what happends on pins 2 and 5

Venture / companion cam ....it wont show up what ever you do ..as the venture cam docking station needs to be connected and the can bus tells it to show the display Sad
Post #81086825th Jun 2011 12:26 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Out of interest how did you route the coaxial cable through the car?

I have just had the trim of my tailgate, was hoping that maybe Land Rover saved money by using a standard loom. But no. I have to put in a new cable Sad
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #81110726th Jun 2011 10:49 am
kenny

I ran the cable down the left sideunder the door sills, I hate the way all the clips break and disappear into never to been seen places again
Getting the tail gate cover off was the easy bit I think. the plastic trim at the back on the roof was Ok too, just be gentle but firm. I broke a few plastic studs on the rear quarter pillar panel where the seat belt comes through, but managed to get some similar ones from the auto shop. You need to get this trim right off to access the cig lighter socket from the top. (if that is where you want to connect your power to) From there I used a stiff round 3mm fibre glass rod to get through to the area above the door sills. I had to lift the sills to feed the cable through but you could just tuck it under and get away with it I think? Then it was a case of snaking it up to the area behind the glove box and across to the screen.

I would suggest having a decent magnet on a flexible wand to retrieve the metal clips that come off when removing the dash board trims (and door sills)

Also I don't think it would have been as easy if I tried to run the cable with the AV plug on the end... Cut it off!

There is no connector on the back of the screen. I used a ribbon style connector out of a desk top computer and cut it down to a 6 pin plug, I then soldered 3 AV feeds to the ribbon and dropped them into the glove box area for future access. This was after removing the dash many times trying to resolve the lack of picture, I did this the last time. (I hope) I then soldered a female AV plug to the end of the cable running in from the camera.

I can't be certain, but my pins seem to be different to wiggs, in that the top pins are the shield of the coax, and the bottom pins the feed. I could have also put my connector in upside down, or the camera feed could be miswired.

I am going to order a new camera in a NTSC format, I suspect it will work, judging by the picture that I get now when swapping modes from PAL to NTSC in companion cam now

Post #81116026th Jun 2011 2:08 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Kenny,

Thanks for that. I had not even though of how I was going to get the connections into the Sat Nav, so the PC ribbon solves that for me.

Be a few weeks before I get to fit it all.
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #81138227th Jun 2011 12:28 pm
kenny

I've now fitted a NTSC camera (from the same supplier) and it all works a treat.

This actually the second NTSC camera, the first was a dud, and gave a black and white double image. The tow ball however was clearly in view, all be there 2 of them.

The second NTSC is in colour with a sharp picture but just misses the towbal Crying or Very sad, it must have a slightly different angle on the lense.

In diagnostic mode the PAL/NTSC soft button has no effect when in the reverse screen. It works in both other screens though.

PS the e bay seller was very helpfull with exchages etc. he just asked me for $5 postage instead of me sending him the dud camera, and gave me a decent discount on the NTSC camera after I worked out the PAL one was not compatible. Thumbs Up

Post #82120028th Jul 2011 7:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >