DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Reversing camera intermittent grief
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
aurumdeus

France 
Reversing camera intermittent grief

Hi,

I've got a 2013 Disco 4 which is having issues with the reversing camera. Sometimes it works correctly, but the majority of times I get the loud beep on startup, with the message "Camera Unavailable. Please Consult Your Dealer".

I bought a replacement one that fits in place of one of the number plate lights, and connected it up. Exactly the same response.
I then found the hidden menu and pulled the video feed with the original camera connected. The video received looks like this:

https://youtu.be/nBt6jqDzf_A

There is an actual picture coming through, because the screen will darken if I cover the camera. It looks rather like an out of sync feed, eg NTSC camera feed being read as PAL. However that doesn't make any sense, since it works sometimes. I haven't found any way to alter the input format between NTSC and PAL on the settings screen.

The new camera, which is definitely NTSC (the listing said that all LR4's use NTSC, and this lines up with what I've read elsewhere), has exactly the same image on the screen.
I've tried connecting both cameras directly to a little 7 inch TFT screen using their outputs, and both give the correct image. So both cameras work perfectly. The TV screen can accept both PAL and NTSC, but annoyingly won't tell you which is being received.

I can't find anything else in the house that I can use to output a PAL source to the front screen in order to test. I could well be barking up the wrong tree with the PAL/NTSC thing. I've seen how many threads there are relating to these reversing cameras, unfortunately I didn't find any with my exact issue!

Has anyone seen something like this before? Any suggestions? Issue with the head unit at the front, or a damaged cable somewhere? I've got an Autel unit but nothing dedicated to JLR. I've not found any control units that have errors or settings related to the reversing camera. Only the reversing sensors, but they have their own control module that's nothing to do with the camera.

I've checked and cleaned all the connectors in the boot lit, and there is no change to the image when manipulating the wiring harness in the rear.

Thanks!

Post #209490324th Oct 2019 10:32 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

If I remember correctly there is a cable runs from the screen, down the back of the console and along the left under the centre console (it’s under the carpet in a channel) this then connects to either a cable to the rear camera or to the surround camera module under the passenger seat. Have you had any work done around that area or spilt anything?

It could be worth removing the centre console, disconnecting the connector and seeing if you can connect the cam to it to aid in diagnostics. I can’t remember if it was green or blue, what colour is the fakra on the cam? If it is a fakra.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #209508625th Oct 2019 6:45 pm
Sdbrinn

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4

Mine had a similar issue.

Could be a parking sensor gone bad but more likely a wire has rubbed through.
Mine had gone at the wiring loom under the offside headlamp.

For some reason the wiring in the disco is really thin and seems prone to rubbing and then getting really brittle and shearing. My tailgate switch did it at the same time...

Post #21105834th Jan 2020 11:36 am
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Had a camera issue a year ago and it was the front parking sensor loom connector I think that was giving me hassle. It had gotten very wet due to excessive power washing by no 3 son. Sprayed it with contact cleaner and it eventually all dried out.

Post #21105974th Jan 2020 12:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >