Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Rise in theft of D3/D4’s.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It is under your steering wheel to the right hand side of the bottom edge of the knee panel… they are in slightly different places on the D3 and D4.
You can buy dummy OBD plugs which you slide in place of the original.

The best immobiliser and is highly regarded is the Ghost.

Post #23215526th Jan 2023 10:28 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Getoffmyland wrote:
Happy New Year everyone.

Does anyone know which of the aftermarket immobilisers (Ghost etc... is supposed to be the best?)

For those of us who don't know where the OBD port is Embarassed how can I find out how to locate and move it?

I have a Ghost fitted. I am always surprised when I visit my local independents, tyre places and wheel aligners that it is treated as a wonderful novelty. I had always assumed more people would be using them?

It's a superb system.

Happy to respond to PMs and recommend my West Midlands installer if anyone wants to know.

£400 fitted.

EDIT but my insurer, NFU, still wanted a tracker fitted... Shocked
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23215727th Jan 2023 1:50 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I don’t have a tracker, dummy OBD port etc, never felt I needed one up my way.
But nowadays you never know.

So today I’ve been looking at all these high end trackers, immobilisers etc. and they don’t come cheap!

These lowlife scum are generally fairly young, “dressed” up in trainers, hoodies & joggers and they don’t appear to carry a tool bag or even carry tools on their person.
With these scum, it’s just a few clicks or a quick bit of wiring ….. then they’re off with your prized motor!
Like many of the younger generation, they’re great with computers, electronics etc. but probably useless when it comes to using tools.

So I’ve decided I’m going to adopt a different and very old fashioned approach.

I’m going down the route of a visible steering wheel lock (and maybe crook lock).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BGPVX87X/ref...F9kZXRhaWw

But also, whilst wiring in my split charge system, I might include a cheap tracker …… just in case.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TruTrak-FMT100-Ve...D&th=1

Thoughts on this approach are most welcome, in case I’ve missed the bleeding obvious. Thumbs Up
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #23217077th Jan 2023 7:58 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

visible locks seem a good idea ! Till you see how quick a milwaukee 4.5inch battery grinder with a thin cutting disk deals with them. No vehicle is theft proof if wanted badly enough . Just heard the latest target around here is BMW steering wheels and they are only after the air bag.

Post #23217738th Jan 2023 11:00 am
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Ron, I’m in the visible steering lock camp now following an attempted theft of my JLR company car from our driveway as we slept, with key cloning devices. Just gone for the single arm one (rather than full wheel) as it’s a bit less cumbersome and means I’m more likely to keep using it day to day. We keep these on the car most of the time now, and always overnight.

Stop Lock Pro Elite is the one that I and all of my colleagues seem to favour - good fit for JLR steering wheels - and £52.95 on Amazon.

I’ve also got a Tracker (from Tracker) on the D3.

Chris

2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #23217788th Jan 2023 11:24 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Oxford-boy wrote:
Getoffmyland wrote:
Happy New Year everyone.

Does anyone know which of the aftermarket immobilisers (Ghost etc... is supposed to be the best?)

For those of us who don't know where the OBD port is Embarassed how can I find out how to locate and move it?

I have a Ghost fitted. I am always surprised when I visit my local independents, tyre places and wheel aligners that it is treated as a wonderful novelty. I had always assumed more people would be using them?

It's a superb system.

Happy to respond to PMs and recommend my West Midlands installer if anyone wants to know.

£400 fitted.

A Ghost was fitted to my Audi RS4 previous to me buying it, I couldn't wait to get rid of it, found it a pain in the preverbial!

Post #23218238th Jan 2023 4:23 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

We sometimes get vehicles in with Ghost immobilisers on, in the main, bridging out one relay bypasses them effectively - they're a pain if the vehicle is in for diag and you have to keep turning the ignition on & off, they also set a lot of DTC's which can distract from diagnosing real issues.

Post #23218268th Jan 2023 4:42 pm
Davethegeo

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Another vote from me for a Stoplock Pro Elite and a TruTrak tracker.
I also have a hidden switch that disables the LP Fuel Pump. Sometimes I even remember to use it.

I learned the hard way after my previous D4 was stolen.
 D1 300Tdi - gone
D2 Td5 ES (Alive remapped...mmm) - sadly gone
D4 2012 SDV6 XS - Stolen
D4 2014 SDV6 HSE - Shiny

Post #23218278th Jan 2023 5:08 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Flatlander wrote:
We sometimes get vehicles in with Ghost immobilisers on, in the main, bridging out one relay bypasses them effectively - they're a pain if the vehicle is in for diag and you have to keep turning the ignition on & off, they also set a lot of DTC's which can distract from diagnosing real issues.

The owners must be not too proficient with the Ghost system?

There is a service mode you can 'switch' on to avoid all that.

I agree, must be a complete pain trying to service a vehicle with Ghost switched on. Maybe you should ask customers with Ghost to put them into service mode?

Just a thought...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23218458th Jan 2023 6:38 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

MEN Amy Walker - Court reporter 20:23, 13 JAN 2023 wrote:

Shoppers at the Trafford Centre have been issued a warning following a spate of car park thefts.

Greater Manchester Police have received a number of complaints of thefts of Ford Fiesta’s and Land Rovers. They have stated that extra patrols are currently working within the area alongside the security team at the shopping centre.

They have advised shoppers to use a steering wheel lock as an extra precaution.

In a tweet, GMP Urmston said: “We are currently experiencing a number of thefts of Ford Fiesta and Land Rover vehicles in the Trafford Centre car parks.

“Extra patrols are working the area plus the TC security team also.

“Please consider using a steering wheel lock as an extra deterrent.”

Post #232268214th Jan 2023 6:58 pm
Sylvester19

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Oxford-boy wrote:

Must be area specific with NFU?

Post #232272515th Jan 2023 12:05 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Without going in to detail, I take the view that DNA left at the scene is the best chance of low life scum getting caught, be it trying have my motor away or entering my property.

Whilst it is a valuable tool, it does rely on the Police to attend, which is the hard part. A crime number is all they appear to offer on past experience.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #232275315th Jan 2023 10:55 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have already disabled my keyless entry and now using my new Steering Wheel lock.

Went for a combination lock as I didn't want to faff about with keys [& potential loss/misplacement].
Also felt that it wouldn't be subject to a screwdriver being hammered into the locking barrel.
Been using it for a week now and very easy to use [both on & off].
Gives just a little bit more peace of mind.

Click image to enlarge
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #232345020th Jan 2023 12:50 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

A friends RRS was stolen from work last week; it happened around midday (Toronto area). We have it all on camera. In summary: (tuned out to be a stolen) red pick up with 3 guys turns up. Within seconds they have the car open. The steering lock/bar (about the best one money can buy here in N America) is defeated in seconds (Police said they just cut the steering wheel and remove it, or deftly remove the lock or cut the bar with a battery angle grinder). About 50 seconds later the RRS was driven off.

The owner had walk up unlock activated and had a tracking device. There was no sign of the vehicle according to the tracking company shortly after it left the premises. However, it has since turned up in Montreal where it was found in a container, I think via the tracker.

We’re as certain as we can be that this was a targeted attack because of where the vehicle was in the multi story I.e. they weren’t just cruising around looking for a car to nick, plus there were two other identical vehicles (including a nicer, newer one) almost next to the stolen one. Interestingly, the owner uses an app on his phone to start the car in the mornings to warm it up. The day before the theft he noted that the app said he needed to reset his PIN (or something like that). Of course he assumed it was a fault (he is a Land Rover owner after all) and so ignored it. His vehicle is parked outside his house and he things the crew did something to the car that then had an impact on the app.

I’m going to move my OBD having bought the nifty fake one that gives 12v power but nothing more. I’ve PM’d a few folks who’ve done it asking for tips - if anyone else has done the same I’d be grateful for a PM on locations, etc,.

Our takeaway having seen the video is that - I’m afraid - steering wheel locks are money wasted. If they want your car, a wheel lock won’t stop them. There are a host of depressing videos on YT on how quickly these things are defeated, mostly within very few seconds.

Thanks. Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #23290495th Mar 2023 6:15 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I like the idea of disabling starter cranking - altering THAT circuit avoids the risk of engine cut-out in normal use if the DIY wiring fails.

Probably will divert the low-current cranking circuit via a reed switch (chosen from source below, needs a little thought) mounted somewhere behind interior plastic trim. Activate reed switch (and therefore enable cranking) by placing a little neodymium magnet over the same spot. Magnet can be left elsewhere in the car when unattended. So, no hidden toggle switches to be found.

I'll also fit the "Eunuch" OBD socket I'm reading about - just to cause further delay, v.good to see these are sold !

So, does anyone know where/how to force-activate the D4 (factory) alarm when car is unlocked and ignition on ? Maybe wire that alongside so if there's an attempt to activate the crank circuit with magnet not present the alarm will sound; need to think, might need a second NC-type or CO-type reed switch alongside - but they're CHEAP !!. Alarm might hasten thief's departure ?

Finally a comment about police - few years ago I spotted a pair of teens at night covertly checking car door handles. I called 999 not expecting much but there was a brisk response and cops grabbed one of them. Turned out police knew of recent local thefts and they found recognised stolen items at the suspect's house; he was convicted. So the point here is although the incident was trivial, police DID spring into action because of an opportunity to close multiple associated crimes.

Kind wishes to all Smile)))

BIG selection of reed switches here - (Shucks, not sure if Forum rules permit inserting a supplier's link here ? Please advise someone !! With thx.)

Post #23290876th Mar 2023 4:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >