Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof Spots....2 - 4 - 6 ....??? decided... 4 x Hella 550....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

JF,

Planning to DIY.... Wink

I'm not going to install a switch inside the car, just link them on the High-beam using a relay.
When going the the MOT...just pull the fuse Wink and tell them it's just for show Whistle

When ready, I'll post some pics of what it became...sorry it will take a bit longer cause the D3 is kidnapped by my father to go on winter-holiday.
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #39117121st Dec 2008 8:39 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

DiscoDunc wrote:
I opted for 4 on the roof and 4 under the A-Bar

what make and model are these, looks 8) Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #39122121st Dec 2008 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

4 x bosch on the roof (but i wouldnt recomment them) to bne replaced with LF140s when ive saved up Very Happy

4 x LF140s on the A-Bar (Fantastic...)
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #39122521st Dec 2008 10:07 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi disco_dooze, 4 or 6, the more light the merrier.

I usually run two spots on the bumper for long range.

I’ve run roof mounted lights on deferent vehicles for nearly 30 years and they are way better than bumper mounted lights BUT only if you use spread light patens and set them up to light up the road just beyond where your low beam.

Have the two outside lights facing slightly side wards towards the edge of the road, these lights will literally mean you can see around corners and are fantastic on winding roads and when off road.

I use Hella 181 lights, tried the IPFs but saw no read improvement for the extra cost.

The one thing you will have to watch is the amount of light you end up with on your bonnet. You can get around this by either putting small shads under each roof light or moving the lights far enough back so the light does not shine on the bonnet.

If you move them back, you will be limited to four lights because will need to mount them in the centre of the roof or the two outside lights will shine on your rear mirrors.

Also, the first thing I do now when buying lights for the roof, it get rid of the 100w globes and run something like Philips Crystal Vision globe.

They are sill bright but with a much whiter light and are only 55w which means less current draw, which is an added advantage if you decide to run 6 roof lights and means the cable does not have to be as thick.

I too do not fit dash switches for the roof light but I di fit switches under the bonnet next to the relays. a lot quicker and easier than trying to fit fuses in the dark.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #39127722nd Dec 2008 12:08 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Forget the roof lights, go for low-down lighting it works well at long range and doesn't suffer from glare / reflection from dust on the bonnet / windscreen

roof lights

Click image to enlarge

There's a video somewhere of the LF 240's at dusk.... 8) 8) 8)

Post #39130022nd Dec 2008 12:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi disco_dooze, How do you plan you use your high beam for normal on road driving. Pretty sure it's illegal to use roof mounted lights on public roads in the UK. If the roof lights are wired permanently with high beam then you are rogered!
Sure someone will confirm or say bollics!

Also agree with 10FC, I have 4 x Hella HID lamps on the rack and whilst most impressive does throw up all the crap on the windscreen! Wouldn't be without them though... Much brighter than the Lightforce 140 but only 3 amps! Drawback is cost.... Don't even ask Big Cry
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #39130522nd Dec 2008 12:50 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

UK Construction & use regs for vehicle lighting specifies that 'off road' lighting has to be switched seperately from 'on road' lighting

Post #39130722nd Dec 2008 12:54 am
Ken

If you are going to do it properly

Oh & get TFC to wire it up Whistle

Post #39134822nd Dec 2008 8:45 am
disco_doozle

xtc wrote:
Hi disco_dooze, How do you plan you use your high beam for normal on road driving. Pretty sure it's illegal to use roof mounted lights on public roads in the UK. If the roof lights are wired permanently with high beam then you are rogered!

I understand but the thing is...speeding is also forbidden and you use only high beam when there is no upcomming traffic....
And if the Bobby's make a remarque then just pull the fuse...

@drive safe....thx for all the usefull info... Thumbs Up

@ken....pretty job well done....but do you wanna see it in the UK when I light up my candle in Belgium Mr. Green
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #39135422nd Dec 2008 9:52 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again disco_doozle, something else for you to consider.

I have my 4 roof lights fitted to a removable bar because up until about 4 years ago it was illegal in Oz to have roof mounted lights.

4 years ago, thanks to Chrysler Australia, the laws were changed but prior to that, I would run the lights by night and remove them during the day.

Besides keeping my out of trouble it also saved me a lot of fuel because the roof lights do increase your fuel consumption considerably.

To give you an idea, I’ve just done a 1,750km trip, of which the first 7 hours was at night so I had the roof lights on.

This was in my TDV8 RR and I averaged ABOUT 10.4lt / 100kms with the light on the roof and with the roof lights removed, I averaged about 9.5lt.

Any speed over 80 kph and the fuel consumption goes up rapidly.

I personally find the added fuel consumption is easily compensated by the huge increase in safety that the roof lights give.

Cheers and let us know what you decide on doing.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #39137222nd Dec 2008 11:15 am
disco_doozle

@ drivesafe...thx to think about my bank account in regard to the fuel consumption Wink

I used this car a lot, also in professional life...but changing jobs now and the new job comes with a company car....so the D3 will be maenly used by SWMBO Big Cry
So low milage and low speed....
The few times the D3 will go on the highway are limited so in fuel consumption, I think misses will burn more just to drive around the cityhall....

You mentioned that you had a removable solution....did you use a watertight plug or a socket...?
I want to find a small socket that I can fix on the tod-roof sill so it would be fairly easy to take of the Roof rack and just un-plug the lights.

Anyone a good hint?
Post #39145522nd Dec 2008 1:44 pm
Ken

TFC might be able to supply them Whistle

Post #39145722nd Dec 2008 1:45 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ken wrote:
Club MTR BFG ATR STT & AT2

So not "Club Zeon LTZ" ... yet Whistle
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #39145822nd Dec 2008 1:48 pm
Ken

Nope Censored Shocked Twisted Evil

Post #39147222nd Dec 2008 3:03 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Ken wrote:
If you are going to do it properly.....

Oi! That's my car Evil or Very Mad

If you want to show off, post pics of yours - oh yeah, we wouldn't be interested Whistle Wink
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #39148822nd Dec 2008 3:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >