Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Roofbox Newbie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Roofbox Newbie

I'm looking for some guidance on adding a roofbox to the Disco 4.

The vehicle is a Landmark so comes with the full length roof rails but I'm not sure what the best roof bars would be?

The vehicle wont fit into the garage with the roof bars or roofbox fitted so they will need to come on and off quite frequently. So I would like roof bars and a box that are easy to fit without too much adjustment if possible.

I dont know whether to stick to OEM or go for aftermarket.

Confusingly Land Rover seem to have 3 different boxes depending on which brochure you look at. Part number VPLVR0062 (410 litres) is featured in the main Disco 4 brochure and part number VPLWR0100 (430 litres) and VPLVR0061 (320 litres) are featured in the Disco Accessory brochure.

To be honest I'm not looking forward to the prospect of damaging or scratching the roof along the way so any general advice or top tips would be much appreciated.

Post #172160118th Oct 2016 8:42 pm
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Ive no experience of the LR roof boxes but suspect they are probably just re-badged models from Thule or one of the other big manufacturers and sold with a premium.

Take a look on roofbox.co.uk - I bought from them, cheapest I found and they is lots of buying advice on there. Could compare similar boxes to the LR models in terms of price. Decision to make is the width, depends if you may want to something alongside the box, bike rack etc.

In terms of bars, I have Thule aerobars and feet. Only used once on Disco but didnt suffer from wind noise too much on previous car. Reasonable easy to fit on the Disco and move into position along the rails. I am yet to position them ready to put the roof box on, might take a bit of faffing, certainly a 2 person job. My box is fitted with the T track brackets, which slide into a gutter on the roof box.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #172162518th Oct 2016 9:40 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have a box pretty much permanently on mine. Had a OEM box which i got as part of a deal on a previous disco the quality was ok but not worth the RRP in my opinion. I now have a Halfords exodus which was dirt cheap in the sales and is proving very good value its the largest they do and is huge.

Getting the box on and off is a doddle with a bit of practice.

Lower car
lower bottom tailgate and then close upper tailgate
place towl or coat over rear roof and stop lamp
lift box onto lower tailgate
then slide it up vertical until it drops over onto roof
then open doors and stand on seats to reach inside and clamp it down

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #172162718th Oct 2016 9:49 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I've got LR bars and box, got second hand but they are just rebadged Thule

Easy to fit on your own, bars just pop in and slide along, just try to push from the middle, otherwise they stick.

Box is light enough to do as RDR does, or I can just lift it up from the side on my own.

They come on and off easy enough as they live in the garage, takes 10 to 15m to fit
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #172163718th Oct 2016 10:00 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Thanks for the information guys - much appreciated! Especially the towel on the roof during fitting!!

In terms of roofbox I am liking the look of KAMEI Corvara S 475 on roofbox.co.uk

I just need to decide on the best bars. I'm keen to find an easy fitting one that I can fit on my own each time.

Post #172166518th Oct 2016 11:05 pm
sycove

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have the Farad F3 680l Box, very happy with it. Opens both sides which I think is a great feature. http://www.roofcarriers.co.uk/Roof%20boxes...allic.html

I have put it on and off myself but would recommend 2 person, takes probably 10 mins.

As mentioned the LR boxes are Thule ones, but I think they are way over priced. Thule do have a simpler locking system than most others so are slightly easier to fit.

For roof bars I have the genuine LR ones and again very happy, they can be tricky to fit, but i would imagine they are all the same.

Post #172166918th Oct 2016 11:26 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Thanks Sycove - do you have your OEM bars permanently fitted?

If so, how high do they sit compared to the antennae unit on the roof?

I'm wondering if I might be able to leave them on and get the vehicle into the garage.

Post #172167518th Oct 2016 11:47 pm
sycove

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I take box and bars off after use.
They do sit higher than the antennae, perhaps you can fit in the garage in access mode

I purchased folding steps, to help when fitting https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Plastic-Fo...ding+steps

but once you have done it a few times and got into a method it is pretty quick and easy

Post #172167918th Oct 2016 11:58 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Cheers! Step ordered!! Very Happy

Post #172168319th Oct 2016 12:23 am
Barber

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The Kamei Corvara's are fantastic boxes... I have the 390.

Post #172242520th Oct 2016 10:52 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Thanks Barber - which bars do you use?

Post #172242720th Oct 2016 11:08 pm
Barber

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The Whisper bars.

Post #172247821st Oct 2016 8:14 am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Wow! Thought I best check roof load stats before committing to the roof box choice.

Pretty disappointed to see max roof load is 75kg for D4. So assumining the rails, bars and box come in at 25kg (depending on which box) the net available capacity will be sub 50kg. Sad

A box trailer is so tempting but for the 60mph limit on the motorway.

Post #172513227th Oct 2016 12:40 am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

A big thanks to Barber who let me see the Covara 390 up close. Nice bit of kit Thumbs Up

I am just finalising the roof bar choice and I gather that if you go with the Whispbars you actually have to leave 4 track pads (feet) attached to the vehicle unless you want to go to the trouble of removing and then refitting the feet each time.

However, the OEM bars appear to drop into the track on the Disco and lock in place in one piece and don't need a separate track fitting. Equally you appear to just lock them in place through the key on the bar. This seems preferable as when you unlock them and take them off the whole bar and fixings comes away.

Can someone who has the OEM bars tell me whether they have a T Track running the length of the bar? As The Covara S 390 has a clickfix system that sits in the T Track?

Am I also right to assume that the OEM bars are Aluminium?

Post #17290804th Nov 2016 5:19 pm
Discogaz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've got Whispbars and agree, they are a faff compared to the standard bars. If I was taking off and putting on often, I would choose standard as they simply drop in, slide along and lock in place when you close the "key door".

Post #17290854th Nov 2016 5:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >