Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Row 3 reading lights as automatic courtesy lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah I see. Well that makes sense. No point in having a camera if it can't see in the dark!

Post #7126155th Nov 2010 7:02 pm
SazzaG

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Ah you say that, but the leds don't come on when you use the cameras! I think I just have the puddle lights because it's a whole different case for the wing mirror to accommodate the camera.

The reverse light is just about enough for the reverse camera, and the side cameras are pretty useless at night... and I've never found a use for the front cameras Shocked

Post #7126985th Nov 2010 9:51 pm
highlandcow

I use the front cameras to see what's over a hill when offroad or when I'm driving the car into my garage and not sure where my cats are. The front cameras ought to be at the corners of the vehicle: in their current location, the only real junction that they're of use to is a straight road.

Post #7127896th Nov 2010 8:04 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It's true, the mirror LEDs only come on when you unlock the car or when you use the remote to activate the "get you home" lights. I'd love to find a way to turn them on without additional wiring.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #7135208th Nov 2010 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highlandcow

I've tried the LED lights in the boot and the driver's door puddle light and I have to say that I preferred the warmer colour temperature of the normal bulbs, so I returned to them.

It was a worth a try.

Post #71618315th Nov 2010 2:57 am
highlandcow

Actually, I might replace the front and centre courtesy lights with the LEDs if I get an LED strip light as detailed in this thread:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic57673.html

Post #71791918th Nov 2010 11:12 pm
scootay2k5

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Back to the original post!

I have cured the problem of low lighting in the boot and the problem we are having with the cabin lights as they stay on and dont dim with the other interior lights.

all in all took me 30min. dead easy!

Click image to enlarge

i clipped the cabin lights out and removed the boot cover to get to the interior light, just a little tug and comes off really easy.

Click image to enlarge

from looking at the 3 lights they are fed from a different sources as we know. so basically take the cabin lights chop the live cable (cant remember which colour it is but its definitly not black!!!!!!!) insulate the end with either tape choc block etc. its your choice but remember it will be live. at all times.

Click image to enlarge

you will need to thread a draw wire of some sort (i used two long tie wraps taped together as i couldnt find a wire coat hanger) and tape a cable to the end. this is going to be the new suppy to the cabin light. i used 1mm purple as the supply to the interior light is a purple cable, and luckily enough i had some at work Laughing

Click image to enlarge

poke the draw wire through starting at the hole at the cabin light (note: there will be two ways to do this, the hole where the light is situated is split into two, take the one furthest from the back of the car, this will be more clear when you fit the light back into place)

when you have it hanging down at the back of the car you can find the feed to the interior light (purple cable) and connect up.

Click image to enlarge

do this to both sides, and hey presto!!! as long as the lights are switched on they work with the interior lights, and dim with them.

Click image to enlarge

Easy !

Next mod im thinking of doing is automatic folding mirrors, i think al wait until the nights get lighter, i don't have the time in the day

Post #74454810th Jan 2011 6:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highlandcow

Thanks

scootay2k5: many thanks for sharing your mod and the indepth coverage. I'll give this a shot when I'm home in a week or so.

Did you remove the relevant fuses when you cut the live wire?

Thanks, Andrew

Post #74464110th Jan 2011 9:38 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Amazing what you find on this forum.

I have just discovered after owning my D3 for 9 years that there are two interior lights above the third row seats Embarassed I know what you are thinking, but I seldom sit in the back and on the few times that I have, it has been late, dark and I was not really aware of my surroundings Very Happy

I thought that before I ask in a new thread if you can turn those lights into a pair of courtesy lights, I would do a quick search and low and behold, here is the answer. A job for this weekend. Just what I need with the nights drawing in.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #134990729th Sep 2014 9:29 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

and since the original post the LED bulbs have come along to make the wiring up worthwhile.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #134992129th Sep 2014 9:35 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Not ideal timing! Today I ordered new stop/tail, headlight and reverse lights from Steve at AF - I could have added interior LED's. Big Cry

Oh well, at least when I have the other two lights working as courtesy lights, three glow worms will be better than one Rolling with laughter
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #134993729th Sep 2014 9:41 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Well, four months later I have finally got round to wiring up the third row lights to come on when boot / doors opened. Quick and easy job. Just waiting for darkness to see the benefit.
Post #140512010th Jan 2015 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >