Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Roych Clough
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SN

Roych Clough

Some photos of Roych Clough (in the Peak District - you've most all done it in the past Thumbs Up ) being traversed in February - in the snow!

Quad and Motor Bikes only!

Photos shamelessly ripped off the Facebook page of my Brother-In-Law's Brother (the guy who came to Tong 18 months ago with me in a Main Dealer Loaner with one of the salesmen Whistle )

Compare with summer shots:-

Sad to hear from Gareth tonight that the Roych is almost certain unpassable (going up) now for a D3 - the steps are just too big with lots of the stones having been washed away around them Big Cry
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4318623rd Mar 2009 12:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Another thing, and its a bit of good news. Chapel Gate has now been upgraded to a Byway, and even has nice shiny new signs at each end. Thumbs Up

The bad news is that a D3 still won't fit, and the washouts were so deep last weekend that Betsy snapped a rear spring and had to be nursed home in shame Big Cry

Post #4318743rd Mar 2009 12:46 am
SN

resurrecting this - I have been informed elsewhere that motorised vehicles are no longer allowed on Roych Big Cry

anyone know if this is true?

latest youtube videos show its turned into a bit of monster so possibly no bad thing Sad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #72309030th Nov 2010 12:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've not heard this officially, but I think there has been some tactical neglect going on, to justify a TRO. Its been coming for a while sadly. I will check it out if I ever get home from Scotland.

Post #72309630th Nov 2010 12:20 am
SN

There has been a recent application on Derbyshire CC website to have/keep it on Definitive Map (if that makes sense)

BTW - the person who pointed out the ruling was the w**ker mammutly (remember him?) on a Man City web site
Post #72323130th Nov 2010 1:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Oh that cock! Well, it will only take a phone call to Derbyshire CC ROW office to confirm or deny.

Post #72355530th Nov 2010 9:44 pm
Projectblue

United Kingdom 

Roych was closed for a year for repairs about 5 years ago. If those repairs have been damaged to the point that it's impassable again, it's possible they have put a temp TRO in. The part referred to above is that the section just up from the ford, by the single tree, or further on where the blue Disco is pictured?

I'm sure any attempt to permanently close Roych will meet with stiff opposition.
 D3 2.7tdv6 SE Manual - SOLD
Defender 110 2.4tdci - SOLD
Defender 130 2.4tdci - SOLD
D4 3.0SDV6 HSE 

Post #72360430th Nov 2010 10:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Although I have not been there for a while, the repaired section, heading up from the stream was holding out ok. As you go further up the hill, there is a section with a couple of big steps - this was always a good challenge, even just after the last TRO. From what I hear, loose rock and gravel has been washed away around the big rock steps making them even bigger.

Of course, the big rock steps will never move, but the ground around them does, and needs replacing and stabilising.

IMO the only way to repair this lane would be to form a similar repair to the one just up from the stream, ie cobble it.

The only problem is the cost of the repairs will be well down the priority list at the moment.

Post #7236991st Dec 2010 8:40 am
gilmore

England 

Gareth wrote:
Although I have not been there for a while, the repaired section, heading up from the stream was holding out ok.
The only problem is the cost of the repairs will be well down the priority list at the moment.

I rode it two weeks ago on an enduro bike. I didn't see any TRO notifications at all, so I think it's still OK to drive. However I wouldn't take a Disco 3 through it as it's deteriorated badly since I drove it a couple of years ago.
cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #7281738th Dec 2010 4:17 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

[/quote] Disco 3 through it as it's deteriorated badly since I drove it a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Is that the time we did this section with the two onlooking mountain bikers grinning and elbowing each other thinking these lads will never make it. Not only did we make it but I dont think we even ground out. There were a lot of oil stains on some of the bigger rocks indicating lesser vehicles did not have the ground clearance.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #7281978th Dec 2010 4:58 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

roych clough is still open at the moment as is stanage edge and houndkirk moor

BUT

for how long we dont know the peak district are trying to shut loads of lanes at the moment we have just lost all the ones around ladybower and hope cross they are now trying to put a TRO on bamford lane and possibly long causeway(stanage edge) and school lane in great hucklow THE PEAKS ARE VERY FRAGILE AT THE MOMENT AND WE NEED TO DRIVE THEM WITH CARE.

It does not help when i am out on my enduro bike and see 4x4 drivers making there own little courses at the bottom of stanage edge, half way up hounkirk moor or lane that runs through pindale quarry i just hope nobody off here is stupid enough to do this Evil or Very Mad

We need to look after the peaks or we will not have any green lanes to take our kids on in a few years time
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #7282968th Dec 2010 7:18 pm
gilmore

England 

shawn wrote:

........... out on my enduro bike........
We need to look after the peaks or we will not have any green lanes to take our kids on in a few years time

Give us a shout if you want to get together to ride some trails before the all go.
cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #7283178th Dec 2010 7:44 pm
gilmore

England 

Ent wrote:

Is that the time we did this section with the two onlooking mountain bikers grinning and elbowing each other thinking these lads will never make it. Not only did we make it but I dont think we even ground out. There were a lot of oil stains on some of the bigger rocks indicating lesser vehicles did not have the ground clearance.

I'm not sure. I think Discocuzzy was with us and we got Bonny to shake her knockers for the camera. Whistle
That's all I remember. Oh and the stubborn oil understains on the rock steps from when some shonky old piece of junk beached itself on them.
cheers
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #7283218th Dec 2010 7:46 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

gilmore wrote:
shawn wrote:

........... out on my enduro bike........

Give us a shout if you want to get together to ride some trails before the all go.
cheers
rob

Thumbs Up Very Happy
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #7283458th Dec 2010 8:21 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thats narrowed it down then Rob Rolling with laughter
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #7283468th Dec 2010 8:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top