Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > FS: Discovery 3 and 4 Vehicles

[Sold] REDUCED 2011 D4 Commercial SDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
[For Sale] REDUCED 2011 D4 Commercial SDV6

This might be a long read, but if you are after a D4 Commercial, it will be worth it.

It's a 2011 SDV6 (245bhp) Euro 5, 6 speed in Sumatra Black, with at the time of posting, 134,120 miles. Being a Commercial, annual RFL is currently only £260.

I bought this in January 2020 with 106,317 miles on the clock from a trader who had taken it in from a LR dealer. It had recently had an oil & filer change and a NSF wheel bearing, but had developed a fault of 'reduced power' when you accelerated hard.

Having a good local indie who looks after my RRS, I wasn't overly worried, as it was in excellent condition and at a fair price. My intention always was to have the vehicle I bought given a major mechanical overhaul anyway, as it was to be my primary towing vehicle.

The afore mention fault was a cracked inlet manifold, so the decision to lift the body and attend to other items at the same time was a no brainer.

The following were all replaced, both Inlet manifolds, Injector seals, Injection pump belt & tensioners, Timing belt and tensioners, V-belt (serpentine), EGR gaskets, Turbo oil feed & drain gaskets, Oil/Crankcase breather pipe, Camshaft rear oil seal, Engine oil & filter, Air filter, and coolant.

At the same time front & rear brake discs and pads were replaced with Brembo high carbon content discs and D-tec ceramic content pads, the EPB was serviced and the air con regassed.

In June 2020, the EPB was starting to misbehave, so a repair kit was used, the brake shoes replaced, and at the same time the Turbo Oil Drain mod pipe was fitted.

After 12 months and 12,000 miles of trouble free motoring, I had the diff & transfer case oils changed, and the following month replaced the front and rear anti roll bar bushes with polyurethane items, and new polyurethane bushed drop links.

In March 2021 at 121,580 miles, I upgraded the front brakes to 380mm discs and Brembo 6 pot calipers, using genuine LR calipers and again, Brembo high carbon content discs, and this time Hawke ceramic pads.

In December 2021 at 131,485 miles, I replaced the rear upper wishbones, NSR wheel bearing and the rear prop shaft.

The car has done little since, however, recently I was determined to solve an issue I had with the gearbox sometimes becoming reluctant to start when in N or P, and occasionally being unable to get out of P. It was diagnosed as a faulty 'Gearbox Position Sensor' within the gearbox megatronic unit. This was replaced with a low mileage unit a couple of weeks ago, with a new metal sump and new oil filter fitted. Obviously the gearbox oil was changed and then the whole unit was mega flushed through twice.

As of to-day it is showing as 134,120 miles on the clock, but will increase a little as will get the occasional run out.

In my ownership the engine oil & filter have been changed every 6,000 miles.

I fitted a Witter fixed tow bar at the rear, and a Watling Engineering 2 position one to the front. There is a fused, straight from the battery, heavy duty 12v supply to the rear, ending in a 175amp Andersen connector, mounted on the tow bar bracket.

Legal requirements required the fitting of a tachograph (digital) which cost the best part of £1,800.

I can't remember when, but sometime in the last 18 months, I replaced the battery with a VARTA AGM.

The headlights have been replaced with those that use xenon gas discharge for the dipped beam, and the front bumper to one that has parking sensors and provision for fog lights. The latter have been replaced with LED DRLs, which dim as legally required.

The rear doors and tailgate glass already came with privacy glass, but I added an extra sheet of film to hide my tools etc. These can easily be removed.

The front seats were replaced with those out of a 2010 RRS, so are heated, fully electric and have armrests. The steering wheel has been upgraded to heated with flappy paddles.

It came with the Harmon Kardon stereo including Sat Nav, has full Timed Climate control including remote, and has a cubby box fridge/cooler.

I fitted a DAB unit that connects to the radio via FM. It's not 100% perfect, but it gives me Planet Rock, so that was good enough for me.

Wheels are 20" fitted with 274/45 Pirelli Scorpion All Season, and there is a full size spare with matching Pirelli tyre.

There are a few minor marks and scuffs, but no dents or dings, and for its age it is in excellent condition, with everything working as it should.

The MOT is not due until the end of August, but it will come with 12 months, and a new tachograph calibration certificate.

Price as it is is £12,000 + VAT, with availability at the end of July.

I will also be selling my Bateson 35PT tri-axle tilting car transporter trailer should anyone want a complete legal package to run a vehicle transporting business.

This is only for sale as health related issues have forced me to take early retirement.

Any questions, ask away, thanks, Dave.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Last edited by Trailered Movements on 4th Aug 2022 9:39 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #229750127th Jun 2022 5:40 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

More pictures and a little more info within the text.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #229778329th Jun 2022 4:39 pm
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Dave,
As a near neighbour I am very sorry to hear of your need to take early retirement through health.

A lovely looking set up you have.
I have pretty much the same car in the facelift 2014 so I’m not after the black box but would be interested to know what you want for the trailer?

I would love the brembo brakes though! Did they make a massive improvement? How do I find some of them?

Best wishes with the health, I hope it improves.

All the best.
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #229784029th Jun 2022 10:44 pm
Trailered Movements

Hi s60r

The trailer will have to go at some point, but as I still have cars in storage, am not in any hurry to sell, unless of course someone wanted the complete outfit, however, at the right price I could be persuaded.

You can see all the spec from the Bateson website. It is the only tri-axle that keeps all axles on the ground when tilted, therefore it remains stable and more importantly, doesn't put immense stress on the rear axle like some of the competition.

It also can take ultra low ground clearance vehicles, and with a bit of ingenuity, those with practically no clearance!

I fitted a remote controlled Winchmax 13,500lb winch. A point to remember with winches, it's all very well having a winch that can pull 2.5 ton, but once you are pulling it up an incline, ramps or trailer tilt, the effective weight increases dramatically, add to that possible brake bind, and the stress on winch and battery can be expensive.

It comes with a full width adjustable wheel chock, 3 spare tyres, 2 of which are on rims, and will also come with vehicle tie down straps, so all ready to go to work.

It also comes with an extra ramp, so 3 wheelers can be transported as well.

I bought it in February 2020, had it serviced in January 2021, and since it has done very little miles, maybe 5,000 max, so all in about 15,000 miles.

I would let it go towards the end of July (a couple of movements to do) for £4,750 + VAT, complete with all the equipment mentioned.

Click image to enlarge

Now to the brakes, when you have close to 3.5ton behind you, and a possible value of nearly 150k, the ability to brake confidently is very welcome. The existing setup is OK, but several uses down a steep incline can induce fade. The upgrade is in my opinion the best improvement I made to the Disco and well worth the cost.

Every now and then the Brembos will come up for sale on fleabay, don't quote me, but I believe all the later (after 2008) 6 pots have the same bolt holes.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #229787930th Jun 2022 9:42 am
Trailered Movements

The Disco can go without the big brakes (the standard ones will be put back on), tachograph, front tow bar and DAB tuner for £10,500 + VAT if that makes it more acceptable to anyone.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #229797730th Jun 2022 10:03 pm
Trailered Movements

Price reduced to £10,500 + VAT with all the toys as stated.

New Pilkington screen just been fitted, properly and not by the usual 'cowboys'.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #23028544th Aug 2022 9:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >