Satmap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Satmap

AS any one used one of these
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #40936826th Jan 2009 5:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

Yes - I have one. It's superb. The mapping is a tad expensive but you can get OS 1:25k and buy site-centered packages too. 10/10

Post #40939026th Jan 2009 5:25 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

Thumbs Up thanks just thinking about getting one they do seem the biz
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #40940026th Jan 2009 5:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

It works well in the D3 and I keep thinking that I ought to build some sort of mount for it. I mainly use it for walking and cycling. Top piece of kit.

Post #40940826th Jan 2009 5:55 pm
DiscoStu

England 

I lloked at these. The cost of the maps really put me off Sad
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #40955026th Jan 2009 8:43 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

A great complement to the D3 really...

* Expensive to buy and run
* Eats fuel (batteries)
* Fantastic (when it works)

In more detail...

Initial price is a somewhate putting but with the OS mapping, for me it really is the dog's bits compared with any of the other units out there. Equally, those OS maps do cost quite a bit each - and given the fuel consumption (get Lithium AAs or the rechargeable LiPol unit, or carry lots of spare alkalines...) you need to be carrying paper maps too. There have been reliability problems with early units too (still talking about the GPS here!!!) but these appear to have been improved with later firmware releases.

Take a look at the SatMap Forum over at Pocket GPS World for more discussion.

All in all, it really is a lot like the D3: it has its flaws but I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers,

Martin

ps don't rule out the 3G iPhone though - had both devices out with me while geocaching yesterday, and while the google mapping obviously isn't as good as the OS map on the SatMap, the ability to swtich to the aerial photos in the field was very useful

Post #40958526th Jan 2009 9:23 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Many of the Satmap SD cards are on offer at half price until the end of January. Its worth looking on their web site. I wanted the 2 Cornish coast path maps which were £100 each, but managed to get them from a Satmap dealer who were offering the same deal at £50 each then further discount for first purchase etc. Got the pair for about £85!

Post #41121329th Jan 2009 2:23 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

MartinR wrote:

* Eats fuel (batteries)

Are you using standard batteries or the rechargeable pack? I agree it eats standards but I shelled out on the power pack and it has been great: includes car charger and USB charger. Also, the latest v1.3 software upgrade has done away with some of the nasties on the unit.

Post #41234631st Jan 2009 6:01 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wanted one since I saw the prototypes at a trade show... could never really justify the cost though for the hardware and then the mapping.

Plumbed for ViewRanger on my Nokia. Very very good and I can just download OS map tiles for where I am rather than the whole map or region.

Post #41236431st Jan 2009 6:50 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

That's ok if you have a signal on the phone but when you are down in a valley and not knowing which way to go i do also know you need a signal for the sat nave but yo will not lose it for that long.

Post #41238331st Jan 2009 7:16 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The GPS signal will still be there mobile signal or not... just if you do need a map that you don't have you can't download it.

The GPS receiver on a dedicated device (like SatMap) will of course be more sensitive and more accurate though.

All the maps once downloaded are stored in the memory card for future use.

I like it as its a handy reference for rights of way (foot or vehicle) while your out and you cannot work out where they are as some mong has destroyed the sign. Great for geochaching too for the same reasons.

Post #41242531st Jan 2009 8:24 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

sounds to technical for me Whistle

Post #41243631st Jan 2009 8:31 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

If any one is still thinking about getting a Satmap, the Satmap price reduction on maps has been extended to the end of March 2009 - some are half price and show big savings.

Post #42593820th Feb 2009 9:56 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

yes i am when funds allow will be good to go and get lost then find my way home Laughing

Post #42597720th Feb 2009 10:20 pm
markalpha

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does anyone know if you can plug sat map into a lap top or monitor to give a bigger display when driving. They look the muts nuts and are very portable for multi discipline outdoor use.

Post #4322743rd Mar 2009 8:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >