Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

SATNAV - Lower the voice volume ??? - HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
koen_dr

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
SATNAV - Lower the voice volume ??? - HELP

I can't seem to find how I can permanantly set the voice volume lower, you can turn her down with the volume knob, but the next speech she goes up again...

I don't find an setting, so please can anyone say how I can lower the volume since I'm leaving on a 3500km trip tonight?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows the magic trick
 2015 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White with Black pack
Old:2010 LR4 Discovery 3.0TDV6 HSE Full Spec 

Post #6449695th May 2010 7:22 am
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi
This caught me out for a while too Sad
The volume seems to be relative to the current listening volume of whatever input is active. In my car, for example, the iPod connection seems a bit quiet in comparison to some so I turn up the volume and then when the Nav cuts in it is VERY loud! Turning the volume down at that time only adjusts it once and the next time it cuts in it is VERY loud again.
Assuming you have adjusted the offset volume for Navigation to the minimum in the set-up then the only solution I have found is to turn the volume of the music etc. down before the Nav cuts in.
If you are driving with the normal audio muted then if you adjust the (muted) volume before the Nav speaks it will remember this lower volume.
Hope this makes sense Confused
If anyone else has some other suggestions then I would like them too Smile
Richard
Ps
It may not apply in your case but I think the iPod allows you to "normalise" the volumes of different tracks but I don't know if this works when it is connected through the L/R dock.

Post #6451735th May 2010 5:57 pm
vhousad

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Galway GreenLR4

Brand new LR4/D4 owner here. I am experiencing what seems to be a strange variation of the issue. My understanding is that when instructions are being recited, I should at that point adjust the volume level to set the 'offset' relative to music volume. I get that concept although it does not seem to do what I need.

The first nuance that seems to be of relevance is that my system 'speaks' to me in different language settings...actual navigation instructions such as 'turn left now' are spoken in a British accent although when help instructions are requested (i.e. - in response to NAVIGATION HELP command), they are given in an American accent. My language setting is set to American English, yet the British lady cannot be denied!

I couldn't care less that they are different although the point of interest is that when I turn the volume dial when listening to the help commands (American lady), the offset seems to work as expected - if I call up the help instructions again, they are communicated at the same relative volume as expected. The British nav-lady (heard with actual navigation instructions) is not as kind. No matter how I adjust the dial when being given instructions, the next time she speaks up, it is at an annoyingly loud level.

Anyone else ever come across this one? Thoughts on how to get my British friend to tone down her voice? Are there intentionally 2 different 'levels' for language settings?
Thanks!

Post #65189022nd May 2010 2:15 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

thriftwood wrote:
...Turning the volume down at that time only adjusts it once and the next time it cuts in it is VERY loud again.

Exactly the same on the D3 - and I've not found a solution in 4 years, apart from turning the voice off - PITA. The volume offset setting only goes down to zero, and what's actually needed is a minus adjustment in the settings menu.
Crying or Very sad
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #65190922nd May 2010 9:05 am
NaraBronzeLR4

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeLR4

Press and hold down the audio settings button and you can individually adjust the volume of any source!

Post #68678227th Aug 2010 8:05 pm
mapleleaf 123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had the same problem and discovered that the volume is set on the radio setting, hit the FM button then set the volume to whatever level you want, I use 12 then the GPS will use that level without further adjustment, if 12 is too high or low then select a level you are happy with.
Hope this helps.
John.
 Why buy a car when you can buy a Land Rover.....because I'm worth it.

D3 TDV6 SE
Silver with black, privacy glass, side steps, parrott and powered iPhone holder. 

Post #68678727th Aug 2010 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mapleleaf 123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

PS, forgot to say adjust the volume with the GPS turned off.
 Why buy a car when you can buy a Land Rover.....because I'm worth it.

D3 TDV6 SE
Silver with black, privacy glass, side steps, parrott and powered iPhone holder. 

Post #68678927th Aug 2010 8:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I think if you use the volume button on the steering wheel it adjusts the volume, but only when nav is speaking.

Post #68686727th Aug 2010 10:39 pm
crews control

mapleleaf 123 wrote:
I had the same problem and discovered that the volume is set on the radio setting, hit the FM button then set the volume to whatever level you want, I use 12 then the GPS will use that level without further adjustment, if 12 is too high or low then select a level you are happy with.
Hope this helps.
John.

That doesn't work on mine? If I set the volume to say 12 or less (with the GPS on or off) and then switch to another source the volume of the nav just follows the volume of the new selected source. ie: I can't listen to my iPod on the Aux while the nav is on or it will blow my eardrums on each command. You can adjust the volume of the nav while she's talking but it only changes for that single event, next time it's loud again. PITA!
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #68687227th Aug 2010 10:57 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nav volume is an offset volume e.g. so if you have it set to +2 and the audio volume set to level 14 the nav voice will play at level 16.
Sounds like your aux source volume is low (ipod via the aux jack on the rear of the centre console by any chance?) so you're turning the output volume up high to compensate
Nav volume offset setting (and some other audio settings) can be accessed by holding down the note button above the IHU volume control for a few seconds

It's just occurred to me that you can have different settings (base, treble, balance etc) for each source, this may apply to the nav offset too, worth checking out Confused
 The End  
Post #68692528th Aug 2010 9:30 am
crews control

I know about the nav offset setting in the audio menu (note button) but on mine you can only adjust the offsets upwards (ie: +) and not down!!! - so it's pretty useless... My iPod is connected to the aux input with a line level input which should be constant but even so, the nav voice is often too loud when I just listen to the radio or CD.

Are you or NaraBronzeLR4 saying that you can adjust any offset downwards (ie: - )?
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #68707928th Aug 2010 7:38 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Just checked, nav and info volumes can be adjusted from +1 to +10
Maybe there's an issue with your amp if you find the lowest offset too loud, what sort of volume level do you tend to listen to them on?
 The End  
Post #68711928th Aug 2010 10:18 pm
crews control

Yep - that's the same as mine... what's actually needed is a -10 to +10 adjustment!
As for volume levels, comfortable settings in mine are:
Radio +15
CD +17
Aux +20
Nav voice +13 (which is the problem as its always too loud)

Funny thing is you can reduce the nav volume to almost zero during a command with either the steering wheel button or the volume on the radio, so we know it's technically possible. I find myself having to do this at every command. The problem is it pops back up to +1 (the lowest offset) at the very next instruction.

Looks like a shoddy bit of lazy programming by someone?
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #68715829th Aug 2010 8:04 am
horatio8

United States 

Is it worth contacting Land Rover about this? It would seem to be an easy software fix. What is the best way to get Land Rover HQ's attention (email, phone, etc.)?

Post #68756730th Aug 2010 6:19 pm
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi,

I've had this problem, especially if the wife has been driving the car with the volume on the radio up and has just simply switched off the radio before switching off the car.

This is the solution that works for me.

If the sat nav is booming with the audio switched off, check that the offset is switched to +1.
Then switch the audio back and listen to the radio/cd. Reduce the radio/cd volume to a quite level then switch it off.
The nav should be quieter.

This method has worked on both of my previous D3'S and my D4

Hope it works for you !!

Post #6891663rd Sep 2010 7:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >