Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Scorpion Verde All season v P-Zero
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine have been good - didn't miss a beat in all the snow and Ice we have had. Seen a lot of accidents but thankfully nobody hurt.

I am not on commission by Pirelli btw Rolling with laughter

Post #192864420th Mar 2018 9:43 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

How was the braking in the snow?
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #192868320th Mar 2018 11:32 pm
Space Cadet

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I was out in the blizzard like snow late Saturday night and the roads had a good layer of settled snow on them, the tyres and car performed faultlessly! I genuinely felt like it was driving on dry tarmac, admittedly I was doing say 50 where I would normally do say 70 so I guess I was making some allowances, but the car just steared and stopped as if on the dry.

I meant to try an emergency stop but was concentrating on driving and forgot to try but think it would’ve done so without a problem.

So all in all was very surprised and therefore also pleased with the tyres and car!

Last edited by Space Cadet on 21st Mar 2018 8:58 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #192869020th Mar 2018 11:45 pm
2Springers

Sorry Gary just saw the question - braking in the snow has been good - didn't have any problems.

Mark - good news glad you liked the tyres !

Post #192869620th Mar 2018 11:59 pm
Gary_P

Thanks both for the feedback.

I'm glad you didn't do an emergency stop on snow Mark. Wouldn't recommend anyone does that. It is useful info to think you felt comfortable to try it though. My issue was braking a low speed, so just knowing when you pulled up to a junction everything was fine is good enough.

It's a shame going down this route means we'll never use our spare properly on the car. That will leave me with a new tyre that will simply need throwing away when I eventually replace the Verdes.(6 years life).

I'll be fitting these in a few months. Just got to find a good price. I'm keeping an eye out.

Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #192899322nd Mar 2018 9:26 am
Space Cadet

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The car felt like it had so much grip, literally like driving in the dry or 'normal' rain that I didn't expect it to have done anything other than stop in a straight line if I had tried an emergency-stop...

Anyway, the low-speed grip and braking was great, almost magically like just driving in the dry, I was very impressed!

Post #192900422nd Mar 2018 10:18 am
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Always good to brake test the car at a slowish speed to see how it behaves so you know where the limits are. If you have to do an emergency stop in those conditions you’re probably already going too fast for the conditions.
Of course you can’t legislate for someone else doing something stupid that puts you in that position - you’re in the lap of the gods unless you have good car control anyway.
Always been impressed with Zeros on my FL2 but just touching the brakes on snow over ice in the Disco was somewhat disconcerting - instantly a 2.5 ton sledge.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #192902922nd Mar 2018 11:52 am
Gary_P

Hi Redline
Yes that was my experience in the Disco too, and I commented that it didn't compare favourably with other small 4x4 I have had.
That's why I am keen to get an update on the Verdes. Seems very positive. Of course this is fresh rubber space cadet is talking about , but my zeros are on 5mm so not on their last legs. I have come to the conclusion that the Zeros are a good all round tyre but if you're not venturing into mud, the Verdes are a better bet ( and last longer too).
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #192904022nd Mar 2018 12:09 pm
2Springers

In defence of the Zeros I didn't have any problems that you guys have had with the slow speed braking but i did have terrible wear and the tramlining in the wet when worn.

I know tyres are such a personal thing and I am always laothe to recommend anything because everyone has their own views. However I do like the Verde All Season - its quiet, gives good grip in the conditions I have encountered and improves the handling. An improvement in economy and noise was a plus.

I bought mine when Pirelli ran a promotion so keep an eye out they sneak those out there sometimes Thumbs Up

Post #192905322nd Mar 2018 1:07 pm
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I’ve always invested in a proper 4 wheel tracking when new tyres are out on. Helps with wear and handling.
Wear will also possibly depend on where you live - the road surface will have an effect. And the type of roads - if you live in Milton Keynes you’re going to wear the ns edges more quickly.
Always got 30k out of a set but I see some get far more.
Look at the wear index on the tyre (will only be on tyres sold in California). The softer the tyre the lower the number. 80-400 typically. Of course - you don’t get something for nothing. Higher number may also have less grip. You may even see that identical tyres from the same manufacturer but made in different parts of the world have different indexes.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #192934223rd Mar 2018 10:35 am
2Springers

Thought it might be useful to give an update on the Scorpion All Season tyres I have been running as they don't get much coverage or feedback in the forum.

I have now covered 31,000 miles on these tyres and have two with around 4mm of tread, and two at 5mm. The tyres only start with 8mm so the wear has been pretty amazing. Like many I struggled to get 20,000 out of a set of Scorpion Zeros so I am pleasantly surprised just how good the All Seasons have been.

The only downside is they are now way more expensive than they were when I put them on the vehicle and this must be deterring potential customers.

Post #201227123rd Dec 2018 10:53 pm
Gary_P

Hi Andy
I went for the Verde all seasons in Dec. Got a bit of an offer on them at Kwikfit. Not everyone sells them in 255/50/R20 size and sometimes Kwikfit show them on their website, next they disappear.
I didn't have an issue with the wear on the Zeros. I was on 28k and had 4mm left on them so not that different to your Verdes all season wear. I felt I was having to make constant small corrections to the steering with the worn zeros.

My first impression is they are are slightly softer ride but there is a bit if road noise. I'm looking forward to feeling more assured if we have any snow. The Verde all season are supposed to be marginally worse in the wet than the zeros, but haven't noticed.

Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #201227924th Dec 2018 12:00 am
2Springers

Gary - thanks for that update - really good to get some views on tyres other than the usual AT type as so many of us need something more road biased that can handle a bit of snow, ice etc.

You did really well with those Scorpion Zeros ! Mine ate the outside edges but then again the tracking was way out and I am told a lot leave the factory that way Sad Wish I had got a four wheel alignment done when I picked the car up but wrongly assumed a new vehicle would be set up correctly.

I have not experienced increased tyre noise but then again I was coming off a set of General AT tyres that were noisy as anything when they got near 5mm.

Hope you all have a fabulous xmas wherever you are and see you in the New Year Thumbs Up

Post #201242224th Dec 2018 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >