Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Serious offroad vs. "Bling"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Serious offroad vs. "Bling"

As a relative newcomer to the forum, I've been reading a lot of the older posts, to catch up with the "mood" of the site.

It's obvious that there are a lot of people here who use their LR's for serious offroading, and I say "good on you". I've been on the offroading course at Conniston Hall (near Skipton), and it was incredible. However, I don't think I'd want to try it with my new car, which cost over £38k (even if I DID change the wheels and tyres to something more appropriate).

I just wanted to guage opinion though - although I do USE the Disco3 for the school run, and it is a tad "bling", I also do a fair bit of property development, and tow a trailer on a regular basis. I also find myself using the extra seats several times a week, and lastly I live in the Pennines, where the weather can get bad enough to warrant a big 4WD.

So, what proportion of the forum members are of the "Land Rovers are for off-roading, and anything else is a waste" persuasion, and are you all nice and friendly to those of us who just use it as an everyday vehicle?

Don't hold back. My car may LOOK like it belongs to a gangsta rapper/drug dealer, but I promise I won't have you shot!
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #465389th Mar 2006 12:08 pm
SN

Well mine's an everyday motor - and my commute (when not in The Smoke) is but 8 miles each way. My last two cars were 7 seaters and I do use all them seats sometimes so I can justify the 7 seater D3 this way too.

...but I am itching to try some mud (having done a tidgy bit of snow last week) Very Happy
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #465419th Mar 2006 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

The great thing about the D3 is it will do the job of several vehicles: on-road it's every bit as good as the super-exec saloons and off-road it can actually out-perform the venerable Defender in some situations.

I use mine as a normal luxury car; as a people carrier for my kids and their friends; as a superb towing vehicle (trailers full of logs for my ever-hungry wood-burning stove) and for some mild green-laning.

The problem with mixing bling with off-road is not so much with wheels and tyres (although having a dedicated off-road set if you do it regularly is a good idea), it's much more to do with obstacles removing all your nice bling side-steps, mirror covers and colour-keyed wheel arch trim! One of the BIG advantages of a Defender off-road is that a minor panel ding can normally be sorted out with a hammer!

But all in all - there is NO other vehicle that will do all the jobs laid out in the first paragraph.

Post #465429th Mar 2006 12:21 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I bought mine to be a 3-in-1 solution, offroader, commuting and long distance cruiser. It does all three superbly as standard 8)
Yes, i've added a few accessories, none of which affect the performance in any 'mode' - apart from the roofrack but I take this off if i'm not going to need it for a while

Post #465439th Mar 2006 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Love the wheels by the way - blingmobile!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #465449th Mar 2006 12:24 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

I thought the 10FC roof rack was for holding crates of Bombay Sapphire?

Post #465459th Mar 2006 12:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Naaaa... the valuable stuff goes in the boot Wink

Post #465479th Mar 2006 12:29 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Variety is the spice of life, so go ahead and be an individual!

The way I see it is this, without the proportion of purchasers of D3s (or any 4x4's for that matter) buying these vehicles for on-road use and finding its style, shape and performance appealing and that includes its suitability for blinging, then there wouldn’t be much of a market for car manufacturers to invest in producing such vehicles with the technology so the ‘other’ proportion can take them off road.

Each market fuels the needs of the other and that is good. Long live symbiosis!! 8)

God forbid they ever ban them!
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #465539th Mar 2006 12:59 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think its all been said Very Happy The D3 is a multi purpose vehicle.

It looks fantastic no matter whether its blinged up with the windows down cruzin the Kings Road with Gagsta Rap pumpin at full volume, or covered in sh*te in the middle of nowhere with a big trailer full heavy metal and bricks.

You pays your money and makes your choice. I have no preference, and I have no problem with people who take their kids to school it it and never go further off road than two wheels on the kerb.

I have a very big problem with people who disagree with my ideals, and want me to change my thinking and way of life, and because I disagree with them will go to extreme measures to try to persuade me to change. Down with the lot of them. People died to keep GB free, lets keep it that way.

Post #465659th Mar 2006 2:43 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Gareth I couldn't have put it better. It's all about personal choice and like you I don't want to be told what I should or shouldn't drive by the Government, the tree huggers or anyone for that matter. If we all liked the same things the world would be a damn boring place "vive la difference" Thumbs Up
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #465719th Mar 2006 2:54 pm
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Can only say one thing from experience

if you realy want to do SERIOUS off-roading, then get a defender, not the DIII

The DIII is nice off-road, but I still can't do the same as I could with my defender 110.

On top of that, the DIII has way too much plastic that you will loose one day

So depending on what you call serious off-roading, i'd go for the 110, but if you can't live with a back to basics car, get the DIII, and buy a second hand 4x4 to play with Wink
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #466089th Mar 2006 5:42 pm
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm now on my third Disco and I have to admit I'm a serious on-roader. I wouldn't dream of risking my beautiful new Discovery3, down some green lane. That's for tractors and horses. I don't like dents and scratches, or risk disturbing the hand-applied underbody wax. The only time I go off-road is visiting the local supermarket car park and then I park well away from the mass and the shopping trolley park.

And as for rain, snow and salted roads.....well I normally make an excuse to borrow my wife's car in such conditions.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #466499th Mar 2006 8:36 pm
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Shocked euh, ok, but then why you buy a 4x4 ?

It's something I realy don't understand Wink I mean, it IS a 4x4 off-roader

But, everybody his thing Wink

Ah BTW, I do must say, in Belgium we also have some of those who park far away from dense movement, and preffer to take 2 places, so no other car can park near.
Well in that case, Be assured I park mine as close as I can to that car Twisted Evil
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #466549th Mar 2006 9:15 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I also have a Mini Cooper S, but I would never dream of driving at 145 mph on a public road, but its comforting to know I could if I wanted to.

Post #466599th Mar 2006 9:33 pm
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Penguin.....To answer your question. A Discovery3 is not just a 4x4 its a the best LR Discovery yet, Um, really designed for us on-roaders, very smooth. However, I'm grateful for your tip, I will start to take two parking spaces. So if you see my Disco parked strangely just off Grande Place, Brussels you know it's safe to park next to me!
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #466629th Mar 2006 9:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >