DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Shuddering on acceleration.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Shuddering on acceleration.

Drove back from Scotland overnight last night, towing 1900kg caravan, and a full load in the boot.

Each time I accelerated from a standstill, when the car changed to 3rd gear she started a very noticable shudder. It lasted about 5 - 10 seconds then completely disappeared with the next gearchange. More throttle makes it worse. If it were a manual, I would swear it was a slipping clutch, but she is definitly an auto.

Also, noticed that the revs are not stable when cruising. With CC on, at 60mph the revs are fluctuating by about + - 50rpm. I must add that this was 5th gear, as it would not hold 6th with all the weight and a head wind.

When I accelerate at higher speeds, the revs increase in jumps rather than smoothly.

It may be normal, but I have not noticed this before in 84000 miles. I don't think the juddering is normal though, and it got worse as the journey progressed. Without the caravan, it is still there but not nearly as bad.

Any ideas?

Post #1980651st Sep 2007 10:51 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth, can't help with the juddering problem, but I think it's perfectly normal for the RPM to fluctuate slightly when set on cruise control (and even when driving manually with it in a fixed gear); at least mine does anyway depending on how much power it needs from the engine to maintain the speed. If it overdoes it and overshoots the speed a bit (e.g. after cresting a hill, or even a slight rise in the road), it'll back off on the power and then go back on. Even the wind outside can cause this, e.g. a gust of headwind and it'll put on more power.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #1981372nd Sep 2007 10:17 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I hear what you say Brendan, and I am sure that its difficult for the electronics to establish an equilibrium so that everything stays the same constant speed. I maybe just never noticed it before.

Post #1981402nd Sep 2007 10:42 am
dave-rsvr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i towed a bike trailer with mine today(done 20000 miles )noticed that when i got to 70(controlled private road of course) that there was a vibrating noise/felling did it all the way there and back which was about 130 miles does not vibrate when driving without trailer and trailer was fine on old car

Post #20141110th Sep 2007 9:05 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Try googling Torque converter shudder.
The results don't look very encouraging Sad
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #20148110th Sep 2007 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >