DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Sidestep removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Sidestep removal

Decisions, decisions.....

The 06 SE I'll be geting an 2 weeks has sidesteps fitted Rolling Eyes which I don't want, as they a) look like they may double as a spare deck for the USS Nimitz, b) will get in the way offroading and c) collect dirt and spray to deposit on your legs as you exit.

If these are removed, will this leave visible holes in trim etc and will these need to be plugged or trim replaced?

I have thought I may get the sill protector tubes fitted instead. Would these use the same mounting points? And do I go for black or bling? Only kidding, black only!!!

You'd think it was easy buying a used car wouldn't you..... Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #12239821st Jan 2007 1:39 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

AFAIK, the side steps have more mounting points that then rails, so you'll have to remove some of the brackets. The trim will have holes in it & I know there was a previous post where someone swapped their steps & trim for a new trim.

Don't know if it looks unsightly o will just get more dirt in the trim if you leave the holes there......

I bought some side steps off e-bay, but will more than likely put them back on as I don't think I'll ever mount them for the same reasons as you've already listed! Smile

if you download the fitting instructions for both from the LR site, it will give you the exact holes etc.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #12240521st Jan 2007 2:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If removing the steps, you'll definatly need to get new trim, as there are 3 very large holes visible once the step is off where the 3 mounting brackets were. It cost me around €150 for the new trim (both sides) when I removed mine.

As for the tubes. These use (some) different mounting points, and the holes in the trim are visible even with the tubes fitted.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #12240921st Jan 2007 2:23 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm removing my side steps for a month as I'm going on both the two off-roading weekends coming up. I enquired about the cost of the replacement sill covers last week and they cost £109 inc VAT and delivery from Nick at Yeovil.

I'll just leave holes visible for the month, as I will be putting the steps back on.
 Matt  
Post #12241821st Jan 2007 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Different mounting points for what appear to be similar accessories. It's never simple, is it? Rolling Eyes

Do you guys think I could get away with simply putting rubber grommets over the holes in the trim? Or would this stick out like a sore Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #12247521st Jan 2007 8:09 pm
DiscoStu

England 

They're big holes - wide 'T' shaped slots, not round holes. A rubber cover would stand out, even if you could find something suitable (which I doubt). I've had my steps removed since the Peaks and I have to say that it doesn't show on mine at all. Whether this is because its black, dirty or a combination of both I couldn't say. A couple of people have even commented that it doesn't show. You'd have to get pretty low to notice.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #12247621st Jan 2007 8:14 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Ta Stu. I think I'll pass the problem back to the dealer and just tell him I don't want the side steps and see what he says. Confused
Post #12247921st Jan 2007 8:22 pm
oliver77

Wales 

do you have to get the holes rust proofed?

Post #12248121st Jan 2007 8:27 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well I covered over/filled in all the holes where the bolts were anyway. Put some stuff normally used for waterproofing antenna connectors in and a bit of tape for good measure. Had kept the grommets that were there from when I fitted the steps, so just refitted them.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #12248221st Jan 2007 8:32 pm
d3matt

For the month of two that my steps will be off the vehicle, I was just going to cover the bolt holes with some duct tape. I was also going to do the same with the large T-shape holes in the plastic trim, so they don't act as mud scoops when off-roading. I have some black duct tape that will do the trick nicely.
 Matt  
Post #12260222nd Jan 2007 12:18 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I knew we would find a use for gaffer tape on a D3 eventually Wink

Post #12260422nd Jan 2007 12:22 am
dochummer

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I removed my side steps and had only the black trim on there. If you're gonna wheel like that, I would definately recommend covering the wholes with duct tape - probably from both sides. You really don't notice the holes when the doors are closed (I have a silver SE), but will see them with the doors open. If you're thinking about getting rid of the steps, your best bet would be to trade the sill fascias with the person you sell to....definately save you some $$$$.
 2005 Zambezi V8 SE  
Post #12261222nd Jan 2007 1:23 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

D3Matt, do you find the steps useful when installed?
Do you get the 'dirty trousers' syndrome when getting in/out of the car as has been commented on in other posts?

Want to do offroading, but also thought I wanted the steps......But I will also use the car as my normal exec car, so will be suited most of the time.

Not sure how much Offroading I'll get time to do, but certainly every couple of months I'd hope.
How often do you 'get dirty'?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #12263922nd Jan 2007 10:23 am
d3matt

Bodsy wrote:
D3Matt, do you find the steps useful when installed?
Do you get the 'dirty trousers' syndrome when getting in/out of the car as has been commented on in other posts?

I find the steps excellent - I wouldn't be without them. I fitted them soon after getting the car and this is the first time I'm removing them. I've done plenty of off-roading to date and while the steps do smack the ground when in ruts, I've only bent them up once. They don't really hinder you much and it is only when in ruts that they get in the way. It is only because I have two two-day off-roading weekends coming up, that I've decided to take them off for a while.

I've never yet got my trousers dirty on them yet either. Unlike steps on other manufacturers, the D3 steps are large enough to use properly, so you tend to use them rather than stride them.

They are good for protecting the D3 in car parks too. I always raise the suspension when parked, so car doors hit the steps rather than my side panels.
 Matt  
Post #12264622nd Jan 2007 10:36 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Matt,

No doubt I'll add them at some point. I think there's a potential planned trip out on 31st March (AndrewS suggested if the Jan one is a success?).

Don't think I'll do any trips without the experienced guys just yet, I'm not an experienced offroader and need to learn how to do it properly (and slowly!)before I put £40k+ of hard earned cash at the hands of a solo run down Geronimo! Smile

I can hear the full LR days beckoning when time and available cash meet!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #12265822nd Jan 2007 11:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >