Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Slight Transmission Oil Leak on MoT Advisory
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco444london

United Kingdom 
Slight Transmission Oil Leak on MoT Advisory

I'm intending to upgrade to a Discovery 4 and I found what appears to an ideal car, 1 owner from new, full supplying dealer Land Rover service history and all MoTs were undertaken at the same LR dealer. However I note the following advisories on the last MoT:

slight play front lower arm bushes
slight play center propshaft bush
slight transmission oil leak

Is the slight transmission oil leak anything to be seriously concerned about or is it just a main dealer being a bit over the top on advisories? To give an example, I took my old Land Rover into the main dealer for servicing and they often advised work which wasn't ever mentioned on MoT advisories as I took it to a trusted independent for MoTs that I've been using for 30 years.

Is it relatively easy for me to check if the leak is severe when inspecting the car and am I right in thinking that a transmission oil change could potentially cure the leak? How much would a transmission oil change be and in the worst case scenario, what's the likely cost of resolving a serious transmission oil leak?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Post #195748126th Jun 2018 9:36 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The transmission shouldn’t leak Thumbs Up that being said, it depends a bit where the leak originates from.

There is high up on the transmission box a thing called the mechatronic sleeve. The electrical connectors (signaling, etc.) to the gear box go via it. It has o-rings which, when they tire, can leak fluid. Usually it is replaced when the pan is replaced (if necessary). Most expensive way of doing the replacing is the official JLR way since to replace the pan and the integrated filter a lot of other things need to be removed as there isn’t otherwise enough room to remove the old and put in the new one. More economical is what a lot of non-dealer places do - the pan and filter are separate; they remove the bolts and saw off the old filter, connect the new and then put in the new pan (this is a bit simplified).

If it’s the gasket between the pan and the rest of the gearbox I don’t think it’ll be cured by just replacing the fluid. Depending on the mileage it might make sense to change the fluid anyhow; search this site for discussion on ATF change or flushing it. Lots of opinions, form your own.

If the pan has been changed from plastic/composite to a metal one, they might (will) rust. You need a new pan.

If it’s the plug that’s leaking it’s probably enough to buy a new plug.

As you note, a visual inspection of where the leak occurs would be really good idea.

Can’t help you with U.K. pricing, sorry. Thumbs Up

Post #195749226th Jun 2018 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >