Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Smoke coming from the left-hand EGR cooler area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mcorriga

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Smoke coming from the left-hand EGR cooler area

Hi - I would be grateful for some advice before I take the plunge and get the spanners out Very Happy

My 2009 3.0 litre TD6 Disco4 has developed a smoking problem which appears once the engine has got fully up to operating temperature and the EGR valve has closed. The first sign is a burning smell in the cabin. Once I stop the engine and pop the bonnet, I can see wisps of smoke coming from the area near the left-hand EGR cooler and there is a strong smell of burning. After a minute or so, I can see the by-pass valve vacuum actuator operate (presumably re-opening the by-pass valve).

A week before this started happening, I noticed that the cabin heater wasn't as warm as usual. I started trying to diagnose a cooling problem. In so doing I stupidly Embarassed managed to create a leak by not sufficiently tightening one of the plastic bleed screws but once this was fixed I haven't lost any significant quantity of coolant but I've still got lukewarm air coming from the cabin heater.

From the workshop manual, I can see that the hot coolant passes through the EGR coolers before it gets to the heater matrix so I am assuming the EGR cooler is the culprit.

Does my logic sound right? Anyone else got any similar experiences? Unless anyone suggests a better solution, I'm planning to extract the EGR cooler and inspect it for damage.
 Disco 4 SE Tech (2015) Corris Grey
Renault Clio 1.2 16v (2006)
BMW R100RS (1981)
Yamaha XT500 (1977)
Triumph TR6 (1974) 

Post #15900129th Jan 2016 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >