Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Snow...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KevinTDV6SE

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Snow...

I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1. When selecting a Terrian mode do you need to be stationary or is it ok to change program at any speed?

2. When in low range is there a safe limited to the speed you can drive? I.E snow setting?

I drive a manual D3

Post #5765618th Jan 2010 9:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JamesG01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Kevin,
I manage to change terrain response on the move a lot. "Any speed" however, is another question...I am usually going below 20 mph, and probably not much more than 5 mph when I do change.

Also, depending on the mode, you will find that you might be limited to how fast the car will let you go without having to floor it and get the revs up. I find in grass, gravel and snow mode, for instance, I hit a wall between 30 and 40 mph. That's in high range.
 55-Reg Java Black SE, Unlocked SatNav (via Wiggs and Bodsy), Nudge Bar/Driving Lamps/RAI, Front & Rear Lamp Guards, RLD Sump Plate, RLD spare wheel protector

"Every movie-going moron knows that only a mining company could be evil enough to attack Smurfs living in a rainforest." - Doug Casey 

Post #5765788th Jan 2010 9:57 am
JMC

Scotland 

JamesG01 wrote:
"Any speed" however, is another question...<snip>I find in grass, gravel and snow mode, for instance, I hit a wall between 30 and 40 mph. That's in high range.

I think you need a trip to the dealers if you're hitting a wall between 30-40 in high range. Unless I'm mistaken, you can change the TR settings at any speed. I've recently changed from Normal to GGS at 70-80mph when the snow has appeared on the road. Although I assume Rock Crawl at 70mph isn't going to work!!! Wink

Also, low range max speed is about 35-40MPH (ish). It doesn't like going flat-out in top gear of low box and I'm sure it's not good for the motor.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #5765848th Jan 2010 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

as far as understand TR can be changed anytime to any option. If it doen't like it it won't let you and you then have to ease off to get the changes to take effect e.g. going from GGS back to normal. I find GGS works upto about 55 but above that use normal.........mind you if you think you need GGS you probably shouldn't be doing 55............ Embarassed
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #5765988th Jan 2010 10:13 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Snow...

kevintdvase wrote:

2. When in low range is there a safe limited to the speed you can drive? I.E snow setting?

The safe limit is equal to the prevailing conditions ...it's not some get out of jail at any speed magic machine Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5766158th Jan 2010 10:39 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As spotter says, you can change at anytime, the car won't allow you to jump into rock crawl at 80mph for example, but trying to enter it will not cause a problem, the car will just tell you that it's not possible, especially as you need low range Mr. Green

The same is true of command shift, if you try to select 1 st gear at 80mph then the car will only drop to the lowest gear it can which at 80 would probably be 5th or 4th.

I think the same is true of trying to go into low range, if you speed is too high the car simply won't allow it.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5766938th Jan 2010 12:29 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I seem to recall that above 25mph or so, it refuses to allow a change to low range or back to high.
I find that to keep a comfortable engine/transmission note I don't exceed 30mph in low range, purely because any faster sounds like a MK1 fiesta being floored in reverse and if it sounds bad it probably is...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5767148th Jan 2010 12:58 pm
KevinTDV6SE

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Maybe a stupid question, the the terrian modes do they turn on the low range or do you have to do it manually?

Post #5767628th Jan 2010 1:55 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You have to do it manually, the car will normally advise when low is suggested. The exception to this is rock crawl. You must be in low to be able to select rock crawl.

The car may switch HDC on, in some mode changes.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5767658th Jan 2010 1:59 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have a look here for a good explanation of what goes on!

http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Ter..._Explained
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #5767678th Jan 2010 2:01 pm
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Stu wrote:
You have to do it manually, the car will normally advise when low is suggested. The exception to this is rock crawl. You must be in low to be able to select rock crawl.

The car may switch HDC on, in some mode changes.

I've found one 'feature' - I was in GGS/hi range with HDC on (manually selected as it doesn't come on automatically in hi), we then dropped to low range as the terrain got steep, upon switching back to hi (still in GGS) the HDC switched off, which surprised me just at the point I started to descend a snowy hill!

Once you know about it it's ok and I guess it's not a common switch over.

Overall I've found GGS + HDC + hi range to be very good on snow & ice

Post #5769298th Jan 2010 5:16 pm
stvmor

Isle Of Man 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have found low range 2nd better than HDC in icy conditions down hill as it can be a bit fierce and cause a slide. I did with my Ifor W 3.5T trailer on & well loaded. Brown trousers!
 Stvmor  
Post #5776929th Jan 2010 5:29 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I can vouch for Low 2. Went laning briefly in about 8" of snow on Wednesday night (between towing German UberWagens from the snow) and I walked the car down a fairly steep section with run-off channels zig-zagging across it by using low 2 and low 1 with engine braking. Glynne's good lady was about 200yds back but soon caught up when she touched the brakes briefly.... 2.7t taboggan anyone?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5778809th Jan 2010 9:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >