Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Solar camping setup.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Solar camping setup.

I have a stand alone leisure battery for phone charging, operating the radio and running the campsite lighting whilst camping. It's fine for a few days but runs low after around 2.5 days.
So I'm looking to set up a solar panel to keep the leisure battery topped up.
Any recommendations on what to buy, what to avoid and suitable websites would be gratefully received.
No idea about solar so any info or details of own experiences would be appreciated. Thumbs Up

Ian.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #207026322nd Jul 2019 5:39 pm
Pelyma

England 

I’ve heard lots of good things about this company https://www.sunstore.co.uk/shop/
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #207026722nd Jul 2019 5:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have a Truma solar panel and controller on the roof of my caravan. I’ve no idea what it’s rated at, buts it’s about 1 metre x .5 metre in size. It charges the 110 ah leisure battery easily.

The controller could handle 2 panels and 2 batteries if needed.

Post #207027122nd Jul 2019 5:55 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I bought the below 60w solar panel, as it fitted into the space above my National Luna Weekend Fridge, in order to charge my auxiliary battery.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalo...cells.html

I found that the controller in this system would only charge the battery, if the battery voltage was above a certain limit. My battery went below this limit, as I ran my fridge, lights etc. during the evening, so didn't charge when the sun came up.

I bought the below MPPT solar controller to replace the one in the above system.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalo...-100V.html

This has done the trick, as it starts charging as soon as the sun comes up.

This system works great for me, and keeps my battery charged when ever we're in camp.

It works great in the direct sun, but if it gets a little cloudy, the charging current drops off. I suspect if I had a bigger solar panel the drop off wouldn't be so bad. But as a lot of our holidays are in the sun, I've never had an issue, and it all packs away perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
John

Post #207039723rd Jul 2019 7:59 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Also looking into a solar panel for the trailer , i have 1 new 110 amp battery fitted and in time will
fit a second battery , this weekend just gone i was running my big fridge on a fully charged battery and over 48 hours it dropped from 13.6 v to 12.1 v so was very pleased Thumbs Up but if going for longer without a hook up I’ll need to boost the battery , the charger I fitted is a 3 stage charger and works great as can be left on as works like a ctek charger , also when on hookup I can sill run all the 12v lights and usb chargers etc Bow down

So a solar panel should give me all I need when not on hook up for more than 5-6 days ,

So how may wats panel will I need for 2x 110 amp battery’s ??

Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #207041223rd Jul 2019 8:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

As a guide, we took the caravan to Islay in 2016. No hook up, just Scottish sunshine for 12 days.

Engel in the awning, on low setting just to keep the beer cool. Caravan heater and fridge on gas. All lights are led. Water pump was the biggest draw on power. Occasional use of 12v tv.

Lasted 12 days and battery was still plenty charged each day. I reckon one solar panel with a decent controller is all you need. If you want to start using inverters for 240, then I reckon you will need a much bigger solar input.

Post #207044523rd Jul 2019 11:17 am
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As a rule of thumb work on a minimum of 1 watt of solar for every 1Ah of battery capacity.

So with 2 x 110Ah batteries you would want 220 watts of solar. But it also depends on how much you are drawing from your batteries and how long you intend to go without another form of recharging them.

I have a 130Ah battery in my camper trailer and 120 watts of solar fixed to the roof of it. I also have a portable 120 watt set of panels which I can plug into the trailer solar regulator so then I have 240 watts of solar. I never camp on a powered site so always rely on solar for battery charging.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #207045023rd Jul 2019 11:21 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

These days there’s no real need for having 240 hookup on a site as most things needed ie fridge , lights , usb chargers are 12v , but I guess winter time it’s nice to plug a small heater in Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

Think I’ll get a solar panel before a second battery Thumbs Up

Thanks for useful info chaps as usual Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #207045723rd Jul 2019 12:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Wished to say some fantastic info there Bow down

Didn’t realise u could get a solar dual battery controller , I’ve got the T max dual battery setup that has the relay in the middle, think it’s rated at 150 amp

Main battery is 100 ah and leisure is 75 ah, therefore if I bought a 175 watt solar panel would it hurt the t max relay plse

Have got a pair of short roof rails so thought it would be ideal to mount solar on the roof so there out the way , assume the controller looks after it self and will switch the solar off when the engine is running

Don’t know what the controller in amps would be required

Apologises asking the daft questions, many thks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #207050523rd Jul 2019 4:04 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I only set my system up when I pull into camp, and will be staying 2 nights or more. I connect the solar charger directly to the auxiliary battery leaving the main battery alone. It has not damaged my National Luna split charger system.

Post #207052223rd Jul 2019 5:20 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Currently in the process of making a solar power box. Just waiting on the controller to start the next phase of the build.

D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #207057023rd Jul 2019 7:33 pm
gstuart

John P wrote:
I only set my system up when I pull into camp, and will be staying 2 nights or more. I connect the solar charger directly to the auxiliary battery leaving the main battery alone. It has not damaged my National Luna split charger system.

Many thks Bow down Bow down

Post #207064323rd Jul 2019 10:08 pm
gstuart

Andy Foster wrote:
Currently in the process of making a solar power box. Just waiting on the controller to start the next phase of the build.

Looks an awesome idea Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #207064423rd Jul 2019 10:09 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

gstuart wrote:
Hi

Wished to say some fantastic info there Bow down

Didn’t realise u could get a solar dual battery controller , I’ve got the T max dual battery setup that has the relay in the middle, think it’s rated at 150 amp

Main battery is 100 ah and leisure is 75 ah, therefore if I bought a 175 watt solar panel would it hurt the t max relay plse

Have got a pair of short roof rails so thought it would be ideal to mount solar on the roof so there out the way , assume the controller looks after it self and will switch the solar off when the engine is running

Don’t know what the controller in amps would be required

Apologises asking the daft questions, many thks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You won’t damage a dual battery relay. When my trailer is attached the solar on that is feeding the trailer battery, the under bonnet second battery plus the main starter battery while my dual battery isolator is still connected.

The solar controller is looking at the battery voltage to control its output, so when the engine is running the alternator voltage will be high so in effect the solar will not be charging the battery. So yes the solar controller will sort itself out.

With a 175w panel you would want a minimum 15 amp solar controller, I would fit a 20 amp if it was mine. You also want to mount the solar controller as close as possible to the battery you want it charge.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #207066223rd Jul 2019 10:57 pm
gstuart

Hi

Bless u for such great info and cleared up a lot of questions , thank u so much

So because I want to ensure both batteries are kept topped up when ie, camping etc, I’m trying to think of the controllers placement , indeed as we know not much room under the D3 bonnet , only place I can think of is next to the aux battery

Assume the controllers are fully waterproof

Also wondering if it would be best when fixing a solar panel on the roof to have a folding one, so can easily unfold it and Protect it when driving in a motorway , etc

Have to use my CTEK every month if I don’t use my disco to keep the batteries topped up, another reason I thought having the solar on the roof would keep them topped up automatically when the controller detects the batteries have dropped below a certain Vdc, ie 12.6

Daft question please, what determines the amperage plse, is it basically the size of the solar panel u fit

Is it better to fit 2 x solar panels, one for each battery and also in case one fails have the other as a back up, it suppose it makes the controller more complicated

Some pics of my setup , didn’t use the 60 amp fuse in the end , fitted separate ones by each battery , I fitted some conduit in the leads before installation

Apologises for the long post and hope u didn’t mind me asking here Ian ( Narpy) Bow down

Post #207066323rd Jul 2019 11:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >