Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sooty engine bay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
GLYNNE

England 
Sooty engine bay

Have just returned home from 3 weeks touring through France and Spain with our caravan. On the return toward home, I filled up with Diesel at a Repsol garage near Madrid. From that moment my car failed to pull with anything like it's normal power, and also started to belch large volumes of black smoke. We only just made it through a Pyrenean tunnel in low ratio, 2nd-3rd at 10-15 mph.. There is also soot around a heat shield on the N/S top of the engine. There is no sign of smoke from any where though.

My travelling companion in his Citroen Xsara, who also filled up at the same time in the same place, could only just manage to go slowly enough behind, and usually I thrash the pants of him, moaning how slow his best speed is !!!!

The car has just run out of its warranty. Before I get involved with Dealers or suchlike, any ideas ? This is the first time it has given any real trouble..

Post #3410567th Sep 2008 7:06 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Black smoke ...could be a turbo breather pipe
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3410757th Sep 2008 7:57 pm
GLYNNE

England 

I will take some pictures of the engine bay when i can and add them, where is the turbo breather pipe situated and is it something i could check myself?

Post #3411187th Sep 2008 9:22 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

A few have had turbo intercooler pipes burst ..sounds the same ...take a peek at these ...1st one discribes were to look

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic308.html?highlight=turbo+pipe

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic21331.h...turbo+pipe

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic24165.h...turbo+pipe
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3411367th Sep 2008 9:58 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Just had a call from my local dealer with news on my car Big Cry First they said the EGR mechanism needed replacing which will cost £370, they then went on to say that they think the turbo needs replacing but wont know until they have done the EGR Rolling Eyes if it does want the turbo that's another £2200 Thud .
I said to hold on with any repairs until i speak to customer services as it got the fault 4 weeks out of warranty. they then said that customer services have changed their policy on speaking to customers and that they (my dealer) can contact customer services on my behalf. I will need to supply a copy of my V5 service history, where i bought the car from, how many and the reg marks of any previously owned land rovers. The more i can supply the more land rover will be willing to contribute to the cost of repair.

Has anyone else suffered any problems with there's outside of warranty and been successful with customer services Question Does it seem right that they cant accurately say what is wrong with the car Question

Would it possible to blank the EGR off as many have done and remove the mechanism to then see if the turbo has gone or not as surely this would be a cheaper solution Whistle

Any pointers or thoughts would be greatly recived Thumbs Up

Post #35799110th Oct 2008 9:00 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

GLYNNE wrote:
they then said that customer services have changed their policy on speaking to customers and that they (my dealer) can contact customer services on my behalf.

What a pile of poo contact them tomorrow and tell them what you have been told Evil or Very Mad who is your dealer Question This winds me up more that wingeing squadies. If I had time I would act as a mediator between forum members and LRCC Rolling Eyes anyway. LRCC are very very good at sorting things out I am sure that you will get + results if you call them.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #35800210th Oct 2008 9:16 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wingeing Ex Squaddies Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter did my time, did'nt agree with being Blairs / Bush pawn either. Lost two mates in front of me, so tread a little lightly there... Big Cry

But one thing I want to ask, and maybe Andrew you can answer..........These poxy EGR's, My TD5 gunged up, and I understand what they do but was advised to blank them. This I did and gave it a lease of life. Now with the D3 is there one or two EGR's as it's a V6.....Will it matter if its still under warranty if I blank them.

My only experience I can add with Blanking on EGR is cleaner / cooler / more econmical.......

I just dont want the same probs to happen really with a gunked up motor, or is there preventative measures I can be doing to stop future probs. Any advice appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #35800910th Oct 2008 9:27 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Glynne dont even touch it bud Evil or Very Mad

4 weeks out of warranty ,they'll honour it Thumbs Up There should be a goodwill policy that'll cover it.

I know jack Censored about engines but their diagnosis sounds suss' aswell.Only reason I say this is I had my dealer say the same thing ie new turbo , new egrs when all it needed was a loose pipe reattached.
I'm not faulting the dealer as that was what the Diagnostics was telling him was wrong.Your situation sounds similar.

Go to Customer Services and dont take no for an answer , good luck Thumbs Up

Post #35801010th Oct 2008 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did or do anybody watch on Discovery channel "the garage" you know the one, "I'm the boss of this garage". The reason why I ask is that an episode had a D3 with the same symptoms, Sandy the Machanic diagnosed a Split pipe b4 the turbo, which he was informed a common fault.

It was such a small hole and only detectable when the D3 was revved. Maybe this might be wrong too with yours

Post #35801310th Oct 2008 9:33 pm
MeMeMeMeMe

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

or an issue with the cilencer box in the exhaust. Apperently the muffler colapses and the exhaust gasses cant escape causing back pressure and the issues described.
 I'm a bad man  
Post #35803610th Oct 2008 9:51 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Thanks for all the replies Thumbs Up
What is the best number to ring tomorrow as all the docs are in the car at the dealers. Ive looked up numbers on the Internet but there seems to be conflicting numbers Rolling Eyes .

Post #35806810th Oct 2008 10:21 pm
saw

United Kingdom 

Twisted Evil Leave the ex squadies out of it! without them Landrover would'nt have a production line now!!! now on my 10th in 23 years Thumbs Up

Post #35845311th Oct 2008 6:18 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

GLYNNE wrote:
Thanks for all the replies Thumbs Up
What is the best number to ring tomorrow as all the docs are in the car at the dealers. Ive looked up numbers on the Internet but there seems to be conflicting numbers Rolling Eyes .

Land Rover Customer Service Centre on: 08705 000 500.
Or write to:
Customer Relationship Centre
Abbey Road
Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LH

Land Rover Customer Service:
Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm

Post #35845511th Oct 2008 6:24 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Some pics of my engine Big Cry so whats your thoughts Question [/img]

Post #36191219th Oct 2008 12:07 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

That braided hose which I think leads to one of the exhaust manifolds will be the prob.Its exhaust soot.Maybe the flange is loose or the gasket is illfitting.

Post #36191519th Oct 2008 12:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >