Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Speed Limit / Camera Apps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I use the same PocketGPS database and load it to the nav on my D4 it warns you of cameras even if not using the Nav screen. Just need to upload the new database files through a USB drive as and when.
The different camera types have different symbols on the nav screen and also play a warning alert sound.

Post #232406925th Jan 2023 8:22 am
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

thanks this is interesting, but I am guessing it's Android? I've never seen such options when trawling through the various menus on iPhone?

LRkarlak wrote:
This is what I do..

Waze running as a Nav, then Amigo overlays it. Works well for me.. Amigo shows as an overlay, which can be moved where you want by dragging.

2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #232407225th Jan 2023 9:09 am
LRkarlak

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

The Amigo overlay option is within the Amigo app itself.. Cant recall where, but it is in the settings. Dont think it is android dependant.

It overlays the speed and camera warning over anything that is on the screen..

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/To...inCity.htm
 D4 HSE Lux. my 2015 . Mariana Black  
Post #232408225th Jan 2023 10:35 am
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Reading this thread with interest as I've not before found the need for one of these speed camera types of apps, but clearly they're quite popular.

At risk of sounding obtuse, I'm not sure I'd ever really want one though - outside of the obvious built-up 30 zones are our speed limit signs not plentiful enough in the UK? Speed cameras are irrelevant unless you're speeding and frankly if a driver is at such regular risk of getting caught by one, to need such a warning device, then the occasional fine is probably a good thing.

I was accidentally caught by a camera a few years ago in Ascot, going down from a 50 zone to a 30 one, having missed the change in speed signs. The speed awareness course was useful and I'm now a better driver for it. If I'd had a warning app I would have avoided the camera but arguably I'd be more complacent now, and a worse driver for it.

Nothing gives me more road rage than watching drivers slow down for a camera and then speed up again straight after it. All these apps do is encourage that behaiviour. Speeding it such a silly thing to do and driving with care and attention to the speed limit should be such a fundamentally basic part of having a licence that in my view, cameras should be hidden and camouflaged and not fore-signed on the roadway, with perhaps a discussion needed about outlawing these warning apps. A younger me would be berating my own comments here I'm sure, but with maturity and as a parent who walks his kids to school every day in a quiet village, within a 30 zone, I am utterly fed up with having to scream at drivers every day who fly past the school warning signs and school gates, clearly speeding. Its a shame to need them, but if there's a future vote on installation of black boxes with a zero-tolerance ban for speeding, I'd be voting in favour of them.

Driving our public roads is a not a human right - lots more banning, perhaps short weekly stints, will sort out the endemic speeding issue.

Particularly on a Discovery forum, I'm surprised of the need for a speed warning app. It's not like these massive, slow, wallowing vehicles are easy to drive fast by accident. They're heavy and cumbersome and relative to most cars have terrible brakes, I struggle to think of many times that I drive mine at or even near the speed limit.

Apologies for highjacking the thread and ranting, but such is my passion that our roads should be a safe space for us all, particularly the 20 and 30 zones around our towns and villages. Don't get a warning app, just drive slower, please.

Thumbs Up
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #232408725th Jan 2023 10:59 am
Johnny Oxford

Personally I regard the obscene number of cameras everywhere as nothing more than a stealth tax. And I will do everything I can to avoid it. Not sure why you felt the need to reply to this thread, which was asking for technical help, with a sermon, but each to their own I guess.

PS - fwiw the reason I use the Amigo app is so I can constantly see the current speed limit wherever I go, particularly in unknown areas. The assumption that anyone using such an app is doing so to speed whenever there is not a camera nearby is somewhat flawed. Pity your black box scenario was not in place in Ascot, wonder if you would hold the same opinions then??

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Last edited by Johnny Oxford on 25th Jan 2023 11:50 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #232409125th Jan 2023 11:40 am
Johnny Oxford

thanks for this, I've checked the menus on my iPhone TomTom Amigo app and can't see anything about overlays, are you definitely using Amigo? Or is at another TomTom speed camera app? I have a feeling maybe its an Android only feature? pity.

LRkarlak wrote:
The Amigo overlay option is within the Amigo app itself.. Cant recall where, but it is in the settings. Dont think it is android dependant.

It overlays the speed and camera warning over anything that is on the screen..

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/To...inCity.htm

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #232409325th Jan 2023 11:43 am
LRkarlak

Definitely Amigo.. Overlay mode at the bottom of this page.

Post #232411025th Jan 2023 2:57 pm
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just downloaded, looks like the overlay option may be android spacific, not showing on my iPhone

2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is đź’• 

Post #232411325th Jan 2023 3:25 pm
LRkarlak

Sadly it seems Android wins here...

"Overlay mode and auto start features are available only for Android users due to restrictions from iOS"

Unfortunate because it is a great solution, for using with Waze.

Edit.. Also here Sad

The AmiGO app uses the following permissions:

Location : AmiGO needs to know your location to provide navigation instructions and to show relevant warnings for traffic, speed cameras and hazards.
Photos/Media/Files and Storage : Amigo stores temporary map and traffic data on your internal storage / memory card to give you a better experience using the app.
Wi-Fi® and Network connections : to connect to the Internet.
Change your audio settings : to control the volume directly from AmiGO.
Bluetooth® : to pair with your Bluetooth® car kit / Bluetooth® device. On Android™, AmiGo can be configured to automatically start and stop based on a known Bluetoooth® connection.
Draw over other apps (Android™ only) : for using the Overlay mode to show AmiGO on top of other apps.
Push Notifications : AmiGO sends you notifications to keep you up-to-date and to enhance your driving experience.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/...-for-AmiGO
Post #232411525th Jan 2023 3:45 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DIY Ace, it’s a good rant Thumbs Up Laughing

Here there are cameras in a few places where it’s really annoying, you’re driving 80 km/h, the 60 km/h comes along and 5 meters later there is a speed camera. Continue 100 meters further and you’re back to 80 km/h. Yes, it’s a T junction but……

I would also add that I’ve never found the V8 difficult to coax to speed. Laughing Laughing Laughing

On getting speeding tickets - I learned my lesson a long time ago and haven’t gotten a ticket in over 20 years. The fine is proportional to your previous year’s taxable income. I have absolutely no interest in getting a fine and do not speed (besides 1-2 km/h above set speed considering the clocks can be off). Being aware of cameras, accidents, construction, etc. is something I consider valuable to me as a driver.

Post #232411825th Jan 2023 4:10 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Johnny Oxford wrote:
Personally I regard the obscene number of cameras everywhere as nothing more than a stealth tax. And I will do everything I can to avoid it. Not sure why you felt the need to reply to this thread, which was asking for technical help, with a sermon, but each to their own I guess.

PS - fwiw the reason I use the Amigo app is so I can constantly see the current speed limit wherever I go, particularly in unknown areas. The assumption that anyone using such an app is doing so to speed whenever there is not a camera nearby is somewhat flawed. Pity your black box scenario was not in place in Ascot, wonder if you would hold the same opinions then??

Hi Johnny Oxford. Apologies generally as I wasn't either mud-slunging nor meaning to point out anyone (or you specifically) in particular. Nor did I mean to write a sermon but in any event thank you for reading it. A couple of points, if I may:

Firstly, I didn't suggest that anyone (or by implication, everyone) was buying them specifically in order to speed up/slow down, merely that habits form easily and that by having automatic warnings in place it might encourage some to take on that behaviour. Deliberate or otherwise.

Secondly I can't agree on the stealth tax comment, nor really understand it all. That's like saying that being fined for littering is also a stealth tax, or anything like being fined for bill-posting or urinating in the street. Minor breaches of law they may be, all anti-social and I don't see how anyone being caught speeding can feel aggrieved by having to pay a fine or take licence points. I was annoyed at myself for my lapse of concentration when I got caught, but I can't blame anyone else nor feel like I was taxed - it was my fault entirely.

Thirdly, if I had had a black box in place in Ascot the outcome would have been the same of course - I was caught by the Gatso. Fair game in my view, I broke the law.

Lastly, before this becomes another 'sermon', I completely get the use of the speed limit being displayed in the car via the app. I have the same function on the heads-up-display in the BMW and it is totally brilliant. It keeps my eyes directly on the road and shows my speed in relation to the limit. If all cars had this, we'd all be safer. My point was only about the camera detection, for me they permit the avoidance of penalties for those who do wish to speed. That's not everyone of course, but it allows those with ill-intent to get away with it and encourages laziness for those drivers who might be susceptible to it.

Anyway, it did turn into a sermon perhaps, but hopefully my comments are taken lightly and not with intent to offend or be presumptuous. By owning a Land Rover and being an active member of this forum it is clear that we're all keen motorists, so no doubt we are mostly respectful and safe drivers, so I don't mean to point fingers - respect to everyone here!
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #232415425th Jan 2023 8:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >