Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

How to spend money wisely?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
How to spend money wisely?

On our regular runs to collect our grandchildren from school we passed an independent garage with a Range Rover on the forecourt, overpriced so sat there for about a month. Eventually the price dropped and after a few more weeks it was gone.

As I had commented on it a couple of times the co-pilot asked would I have wanted to trade in and buy it? This made me think, would I? Some £20k+ more for around 9 years newer but with its own potential problems.

Ignoring the value of the vehicle itself ( only applicable if I were to sell and I don’t intend to). Would it be better to spend £10-20k fettling a good D3 already owned and end up with an even better one with everything serviced, overhauled or replaced in one big body off hit? I would know it has all been done even though it would not have upped the value by much.

It is used as a tin tent tug and a backup to an EV to combat the inherent range anxiety they create. I love driving it although I could do without the odd bongs from it for no apparent reason. I check the error codes and almost all are communication issues.

It’s all an opinion but is there an even better option? I do look out for a dead circa 2005 HSE in Bonatti Grey with black interior as a donor for a cost effective method with no luck so far.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23447279th Aug 2023 4:22 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I would test drive both a FFRR & D4 within your budget.

You may find that you prefer one to the other Whistle

NJSS

Post #23447289th Aug 2023 4:27 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Or, take a good punt on a high(er) mileage top spec D4?..

There is a cracking 2016 D4 Landmark in Zanzibar Orange (metallic brown to me) with 111k in one of the D3/D4 FB groups atm. Owner now works from home and wants to shift it. FSH, LR and Indy.

£18k is the figure being kicked about atm.
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23447319th Aug 2023 5:44 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Most of the cost of owning a newer vehicle is depreciation. You could argue you are paying for reliability.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23447359th Aug 2023 6:06 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We're seeing it already. Owners spending large sums on maintaining/preserving their older D3/D4's, rather than spending £15k+ on something newer

£15k is a lot of maintenance Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #23447369th Aug 2023 6:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

what are you going to do with a " dead circa 2005 HSE in Bonatti Grey " rebuild it ? while you use the other one ?

Post #23447379th Aug 2023 6:12 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Depends how dead Wink
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #23447389th Aug 2023 6:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
We're seeing it already. Owners spending large sums on maintaining/preserving their older D3/D4's, rather than spending £15k+ on something newer

That's exactly what I'm doing. A few months back I was looking at trading the D3 in for a late-model D4. After chasing that idea for a while, I realised that I simply couldn't justify pumping several thousand pounds into a vehicle which would have a history of which I couldn't be certain, and could quite conceivably end up being the biggest money-pit to have ever taken to the road.

So the D3 - the history of which I know 100% for the last seven years because I've made sure it's been looked after properly - got its 14-year service and will hopefully continue to do sterling service in the 'fleet' for a good few years to come. Until I finally cave in and buy a hybrid XC90 Laughing .

Post #23447409th Aug 2023 6:50 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

That's the problem, "something newer" is not new. Notwithstanding the fact I can't afford new even they have been known to have issues and to be honest I am not that fond of current models (although the Defender is growing on me).

Go into that middle ground of not so long in the tooth as my D3 and not new what could you buy? Yes a late model D4 (RRs are not my favourite anyway) but how do you really find a good one. Will a test drive show all problems, can you believe a salesmans promises?

My thought was a similar amount gives a D3 a pretty good workover and I would know everything had been done so would be unlikely to give problems in the foreseable future.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23447559th Aug 2023 9:56 pm
yellowbelly

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Funny enough i have just been doing the man maths on trading up to a FFRR or ploughing some money into the Discovery which i have owned for the last ten years. I have come down on the side of spending on a body off refurbishment to address all of the pre-emptive things and at the same time galvanise the chassis and undertake a thorough rustproof underneath. Maybe even one day add in the TDV8 conversion Whistle if the wife doesn't find out.
 55 Plate Disco 3 HSE. EGR blanked, Decat exhaust, AMK Compressor, bought 20 Dec 13. Watch this space for future upgrades. - Disco 4 front cup holders, D4 Bluetooth, Brembo 4 pot front V8 rear brakes, front diff breather mod, BAS FBH controller, fixed towbar, D4 heated washer jets
Silicone intercooler hoses, RS 500 Intercooler, decat exhaust, remap
IID tool used to enable 3 flash indicators, clock on dash, reverse follow me home lights, snotm, AMK compressor update and still learning 

Post #234477210th Aug 2023 8:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >