Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Squeak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Squeak

Can anyone please help!! I am due to go on hols this week so don’t have time to take the D3 to the Stealers.

I have this annoying squeak that is driving me nuts….. It’s like a hamster in a wheel, squeak, squeak f Censored ing squeak!! Twisted Evil

Starts when driving at between 50 and 70 on a smooth motorway, although once it starts, it will continue of a rougher surface. The squeak doesn’t rise and fall with speed, nor seem to be in sequence with bumps in the road surface. It is coming from the driver’s side; don’t think it is the seat as setting the cruise control and lifting my bum off the seat has no effect. The only time I have heard a squeak like this was a speedo cable in my old 1300GT. On the journey to work where I don’t get above 50 I don’t notice it doing it at all….. Crying or Very sad

Two weeks driving in France with this squeak is going to be like Chinese water torture. Shocked Shocked

Please let there be someone out there who knows what this is….. Idea

Post #44665930th Mar 2009 8:29 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you tried turning off the AIRCON (full off, not econ) to see if it's the air control flaps?
If it's not related to speed or bumps maybe it's related to the climate control (and maybe the speed it starts at is a coincidence and it's that it just gets up to temperature by the time you reach your motorway?)

Also I once had a squeak from the knee panel under the steering wheel; one of the clips was missing; although this was related to bumps.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #44667430th Mar 2009 9:06 am
Discofever

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Wow there's nothing more annoying, I had the same knee panel squeak as stapldm, cured that one only to have another start. It took me weeks to locate it, I am sure this is not related to yours as mine was emanating somewhere from the rear of the D3. It would squeak on all road conditions at all speeds so was very confusing, it turned out to be the strange sliding clips on the upper tailgate, a little grease and the squeak vanished - so simple really but it nearly drove me over the edge at the time.......
Thought I would mention it, just in case anyone else had a similar problem. Very Happy

Post #44667630th Mar 2009 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

External A pillar trim loose?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44675430th Mar 2009 11:42 am
sopjas

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi If its the squeak that been annoying me for months i know how you feel , after holding onto everything to see if it stopped i found it to be the gear lever gaiter / the leather rubs on the plastic insert , i solved it by removeing the knob and gaiter and putting sticky velcro on the internal plastic part.
For me problem solved nice and peaceful .

Post #44685630th Mar 2009 2:27 pm
98ron

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I also had the hamster somewhere in the passenger door usually when getting to motorway speeds. Sticking the External A pillar fixed it for me and saved my sanity.. thanks.

Post #45411314th Apr 2009 6:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My money's on the A pillar external trim also.

Post #45412314th Apr 2009 6:43 pm
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Had the D3 into the stealers Friday to sort this squeaking out. Didn't expect to see her for at least a week, but Stratstones rang Friday afternoon to say she was all fixed... Shocked

And the fault was:

Broken clips on the windsceen trims. Whistle

The stealer must have broke these when they fitted the new windscreen before I took delivery of her last December.

So that was the last of the niggles sorted so hopefully I can fully enjoy my D3 at last!! Very Happy
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #46544011th May 2009 8:10 am
98ron

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Following the A-pillar fix I noticed I had another annoying intermittant squeak - sounding like it's coming from under the passenger seat. Wasn't till the external door trim fell off and I refitted it (see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic29068.html) that I realised it was a loose trim. Peace at last.

Post #5145832nd Sep 2009 7:50 pm
ross

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

disco3 forum triumphs again

My Disco has developed an annoying squeak at motorway speeds and I was struggling to locate it. Type 'squeak' into the forum search and found this thread.

My windscreen was replaced a few weeks ago by Autoglass so I nipped outside to check my trim and it's loose! Autoglass are coming to have a look.

Thanks again!

Ross.

Post #52072016th Sep 2009 11:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >