Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

stalls then failure to start - LRA europe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discotony

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
stalls then failure to start - LRA europe

hi, this is my first post but wanted to share with you all see if anyone has had anything simular.

On the way back from a trip to spain with the tintent going up a hill all of a sudden the car stalled then started itself agian. Thought it was a little strange till it stalled again, with accompianing gearbox fault DSP failure and other nice messages.We managed to get it to a hard shoulder whereapon the starter just turned over but it wouldnt restart. We were summoning courage to call LRA when a final try it started, no messages everyhting dandy. So we decide to press on to the next aire where we could call LRA and decide what to do. about 10 mins later it stalled again no messages just dead. Having stopped this time it restarted immediatly however when I pressed the throttle it stopped again and would no longer do anything.Pressing the started resulted in no response from the starter motor - all silent. But interestingly teh rev counter would show that the engine was running at 900 rpm then other messages would appear like charging system failure reduced performance etc.But nothing from the engine. It was like the car thought the engine was running already when it obviously wasnt.

So we called the Peage police who came within 10 mins with a tow truck and took us off to a garage in a sleepy french town.We called LRA who payed them and told us that as it was sunday they could do nothing but put us up in a hotel or a campsite. The very nice towtruck man found us a campsite and arranged with a local taxi to take us and the tintent there.
Monday morning pphoned LRA who told me a technition would arrange that morning to get the car to a Land rover dealer and it looked at. despite lots of calls I finally got a call from them saying the car was being picked up monday afternoon abd the land rover garage would look at it on tuesday. Tuesday came I was told that we would have to wait till the afternoon to get a response back from the garage.but I was assured that the car was there and would be looked at. Tuesday afternoon came and we were finally told that the car still hadnt been moved but it would be and looked at tommorrow wednesday. We were told that with the easter break coming up that we were unlikely to get a repair in the next few days so we should travel home. After many more calls they finally arranged a hire car for us ( a peugeot 206 )( interesting for a family of 4 plus the contents of a caravan and 2 weeks smelly clothes) and they took the tintent off to the garage the car was going too ?( maybe )

Now its thusday still the car has not even been looked at yet by landrover. We are back in the UK the car and caravan are in france and I am told they will make it back here sometime. I'll keep you all posted to let you know how that takes! But in the meantime beware LRA doesnt seem to work well abroad.

Post #78823921st Apr 2011 11:52 am
discotony

they finally looked at the car, apparently the dealer in france can find nothing wrong, so they are shipping it back to the UK for my dealer to sort out. estimated delivery back 11 May. I spoke to the UK dealer who believes the fault to be a loose earth cable. pity it couldnt have been looked at at the roadside

Post #79023827th Apr 2011 3:20 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

they dont do anything at the roadside - just charge 140E to tow you off Rolling Eyes As the mways are private roads LRA cant send one of their patrols, it has to be the tow garage with the mway contract.

I had a problem last May just outside Narbonne/Beziers: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50873.h...2Bnarbonne

but I have to say LRA were excellant.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 27th Apr 2011 5:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #79023927th Apr 2011 3:24 pm
discotony

thanks yes, If only my experience had been so positive, despite promising to call me back they never did once. They never sorted out any accomodation or anything when I asked for help they just replied you find somewhere we 'll pay. The car never even got looked at by any mechanic till 5 days after we broke down( broke down on the sunday Friday teh car was eventually looked at ). Thats what stings the most. I can cope with a delay if they cant get parts etc. but to not even be able to look at a non starting vehicle for 5 days is frankly pretty poor

Post #79027327th Apr 2011 4:35 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

quite a difference Shocked

we broke down at about 16:00 on a sunday evening and towed to a Citroen dealer who had the tow contract. LRA sorted a hotel and booked an paid for a taxi to the hotel. we were in the hotel by 1900.

At 0930 on monday I phoned LRA and they said the D3 was at the local LR garage and the bill was going to be 1500E Shocked

LRA were OK ringing me back but I kept chasing several times a day.

My phone bill when I got home was £250 Shocked Shocked , but LRA paid £150 towards that. I claimed when I got home Thumbs Up

stick with it, hope it ends OK
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #79032227th Apr 2011 5:41 pm
discotony

thanks Smile just wanting it back now the freelander just isnt the same Smile
what was interesting was on the way down we did a 22hour non stop( just change drivers and carry on ) got there still feeling refreshed Smile the 8 hour journey in a 206 left us still feeling tired after 2 days!
I t goes to show what a great car it is to do long distances, you just dont feel it even towing it stil feels relaxed and comfortable great car. Its my 3rd disco now

Post #79060728th Apr 2011 10:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >