Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Staun Tyre Beadlocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
paynetec

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Atacama SandLR3
Staun Tyre Beadlocks

Has anyone any experience of Bead locks? Have just seen what appears an interesting product by 'Staun' in my local off road supplier, check out the website:

http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

I have enquired if they do a product for 19'' rims as this may allow more deflation without the risk of the tyres popping or damage to the rims.

I also wonder if they can be left on for road use permanantly? If they are anything as useful as their tyre deflators they must be worth a look, come in at about £400/pair.

Any advice appreciated!

Craig
 V8 HSE Atacama Sand......Happy Days!!  
Post #33836431st Aug 2008 2:11 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

£400 a pair!!!!!!!!!!, buy a new tyre when/if it happens

Post #33838231st Aug 2008 4:19 pm
paynetec

Wot rims 'n' all?

Looking for an option instead of changing to 18'' rims and new tyres,

Being able to air down to 10psi and not losing a tyre or damaging a rim is the idea. The 19'' tyre is so thin that aired down the footprint is not so big. A big issue in the sand. Out here wranglers come in at nearly £200ea! And putting them back on in the desert aint so much fun either.

Just an idea and wondering if anyone has any experience of the concept?

Cheers

CP
Post #33844631st Aug 2008 7:22 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Looks like a good idea - usually you need special rims to use conventional beadlocks. But £400 is a bit expensive and I didn't see a 19" version on their website........

Post #33853131st Aug 2008 11:16 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

I've used them on my D1 - they're a permanent fit, so yes you run them on-road. They work very well, you can run 6psi all day in the sand/mud, as long as your tyre-walls can handle the heat build-up.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #3385491st Sep 2008 1:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Staun don't offer a 19" bead locker from stock. However, Icon4x4 in Dubai had some 20" beadlockers made up by Staun for their UAE Desert Challenge Unimog.
Pal of mine has just fitted Staun Bead lockers to his Nissan Patrol and ran the tyres on 5psi during the Oman Wahiba Challenge last weekend. No problems at all!!
They're clearly an excellent product (UAE Dhirams 680 a piece) running at 50psi, but enabling the tyre itself to run at ridiculously low pressures with no prospect of popping the tyre off the rim.
I've asked Icon4x4 to get a price on Staun making some 19" beadlockers. I'll let you know what the answer is when I get it!

Post #38017128th Nov 2008 7:33 am
paynetec

Nice one! What tyre are you running on the LR3? Pse keep me informed how you get on. Thanks
CP
Post #38044228th Nov 2008 6:34 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

I run 255x55x19 Bridgestone Duellers on the blacktop. Was able to borrow a set of Goodyear MTRs from the LR dealer here to use for the Wahiba Challenge which did very well on all types of sand at 12psi. I'm trying to source a set in Dubai...........so if you know of a supplier who's got could you get me a phone number and GPS location?
Am thinking of getting a 2nd set of wheels from a RRS with MTRs on.

Post #38070029th Nov 2008 3:04 am
paynetec

Have seen a black LR3 complete with every conceivable LR accessory and a fine looking set of Goodyear MTRs at Arabian Ranches. If I see the vehicle again I will ask where he picked up the tyres.

Was thinking of getting a set myself. I thought the tread may be a bit fierce for the sand? Are they very noisy on the black stuff? They certainly look the 'Dogs B's'!

I will make some enquiries.
Craig
Post #38070329th Nov 2008 5:46 am
paynetec

I'm heading into Oman next week, short exped down to Ras al Jinz, hopefully catch the turtles!

Icon Auto's are fantastic, thats where I first saw the beadlocks. Had a FrontRunner rack and ladder fitted by Icon, dumped the LR Expo rack- Piece of Sh*t!!

Happy Days

CP
Post #38070429th Nov 2008 6:20 am
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

I was up in Dubai on Wednesday - a quick dash from Oman and back to pick up some Motocross bits for my off-road bike. Might have been my steed you saw maybe? Go to my gallery and view the finished car before and during the Wahiba Challenge. It's quite distinctive!!
GY MTRs are a bit noisy on blacktop, (the price you pay for a more off-road biased tread pattern)and they're 'S' speed rated, not 'V', so top end speed needs to be considered. Given the wind noise from the rack mounted lights, I don't find it a real issue with windows closed at 80kph +.

Post #38079929th Nov 2008 3:20 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Have had a response direct from CEO of Staun as below:

Quote:
Thanks for the inquiry and I will offer some solution to your dilemma. We do sell beadlocks for the LR3’s but not in 19in. The reason why is because of the low profile tyres that are mounted onto the 19in rim. Low profile tyres will not work with our beadlocks. The main reason is that the beadlock is as tall as the tyre side wall and will be in constant contact with the tyres tread. The beadlock is not meant to be in constant contact. Only the inner beads of the beadlock should be in contact with the tyre sidewalls.

What works here in Australia and Europe is a 17in rim with a 34-36in tyre. I have attached a link to the BB6 rim made for the D2and3 and sold with our beadlock all over Europe. By changing to the smaller rim and taller side wall you will be able to increase you footprint in softer surfaces and run lower pressures without running on the rim of a low profile wheel tyre combination.

http://www.performancewheels.com.au/alloywheels_4wd.asp the BB6 is a 1200kg load limit rated wheel in alloy. It is a strong but lightweight rim that actually looks good on the D3’s. Performance wheels in Australia manufacture this rim for us with all modifications done and will warranty the rims with the additional hole drilled.

So, looks like we V8ers are going to be disappointed as there's plenty of dialogue on the forum to indicate that the V8 can't be fitted with anything smaller than a 19" rim due to the clerances required over the larger discs and caliper compared to the v6s. Shame. 'Big Cry' 'Big Cry' 'Big Cry'

Post #3821622nd Dec 2008 2:38 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

18" rim should fit the V8, it's only the 17" that won't
 The End  
Post #3821772nd Dec 2008 2:59 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the correction Slimer - and Staun do an 18" beadlocker for 7" - 9" wide rims. Now have to work out a tyre size that produces an equivalent outside diameter to the 255x55x19s and see if any manufacturers produce a suitable off-road tyre for it. Then check with Staun to see if that size is suitable for their beadlocker. The quest goes on! 'Smile'

Post #3822382nd Dec 2008 6:36 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

255x60x18" (standard size for 18" D3 rim) Grabber AT2 do you?
 The End  
Post #3823522nd Dec 2008 9:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >