DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Steer wobble :(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Steer wobble :(

So....for short period I am driving with my 17" Performance with AT2 265/70/17
most of the time my steering wheel seems to wobble....like Jimny or how do you call that...

I have balanced the front wheels again, stil the some problem.

Did not had this issue with my 19" HSE with roadtires or 19" RRS wheels with MTR's

What could it be?

Could it be that it is due to the play on the front wheels?
see: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic38788.html

Any Ideas?
Thx
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #5153354th Sep 2009 10:40 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Get them balanced properly? Had a slight wobble with mine. Took them back, they checked them again. There was still wobble. Took it somewhere else, they balanced it perfectly. Went back to the original place and asked them for the £16 it cost to get them balanced. They paid up. Everyone was happy. Bit faffy though.

Some places are apparently reluctant for the wheels to spend ages on their balancing machines as the weight of them wears them out... so you might just get a few weights thrown at it...
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #5153384th Sep 2009 10:43 am
al cope

England 

Doozle

as these are "aftermarket" wheels, are you sure then hub hole in the wheel is 72.6mm, as it took me ages to work out that this was my problem on my 20" alloys. Mine had a BMW hole size (74.2 I think), which was very odd, but heyho. I got some spigot rings (hub centering rings) so the the wheel correctly centered on the hub, and bingo, no more wobble.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5153534th Sep 2009 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_doozle

Thx For the tips guys....

Will try the balancing first...again....and then the center thingy

Thumbs Up
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #5155194th Sep 2009 6:03 pm
al cope

England 

I wouldnt spend any more money on balancing without knowing the wheels were sitting true and centered correctly.

If nothing else, jack up a front corner, take the wheel bolts out but leave the wheel sitting on the hub lip. Can you feel any, and I mean any, side to side/up and down movement. If you can, this means the hole in the wheel is bigger than the hub lip, and it only needs to be 1mm of play to put the wheel off center. As I said, mine were 1.6mm bigger, and it wobbled like mad. Its because they are such big wheels.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5155334th Sep 2009 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_doozle

Thx Mr. Al Cope.....I'll cope with that Whistle

it's like you say, this test doesn't costs a penny and is easy to do....will try that one this weekend

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #5155374th Sep 2009 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >