Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Steering angle sensor sleeve repair.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
spen-again

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi, I just want to add my fix for this steering angle sensor fault. I made 2 small plates with cut outs and bonded them to the top section of the universal joint with 'Quick Silver' chemical metal. The cut outs capture the tabs on the greeny/yellowy plastic ring that should be secured to the steering column but loosens and spins over time and causes the problem.
I made the plates out of thin mild steel sheet metal. Make sure the mating surfaces are cleaned thoroughly before bonding. After the repair the steering angle senor must be reset using a suitable diagnostic tool.
Worked a treat Very Happy

Post #191834624th Feb 2018 1:48 pm
Poppy Ann

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Hi this may sound stupid but where is the sensor located? can I get to it from inside the car or is it somewhere below the floor and only accessed from under the car ?

My vehicle has come up with a range of faults that seemed to start when I was driving over a bump where one wheel came off the floor it was not at any speed but as I went over all sorts of faults were displayed and the first one was steering angle sensor fault then it went on to faults in the gearbox when I tried to go over 7-8 mph it sounded like the front left brakes had locked on and the car started dipping on the front left if I kept it below 7 mph then it didn't do it or when in reverse.
I put the code reader on and reset the faults and it all seemed ok but then the next day it did the same again, the sound it makes from the front left is really bad at the moment I am not sure I can depend on it as I do not want to be out somewhere and have it happen on me if it is the sensor how hard are they to change if they are easy to do then I will give it a go but due to disability I can no longer go crawling under the car.

Post #209360219th Oct 2019 12:38 pm
spen-again

The steering angle sensor is located around the steering column between the steering wheel and foot pedals under the dashboard about knee level. Trace the steering column from floor level upwards to the universal joint. The greeny yelowy plastic ring with twin tabs is part of the steering angle sensor. Use my previous post to aid the repair.

Post #209388020th Oct 2019 3:10 pm
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had the same issue so I took the whole column out, not as bad as it sounds. The shaft that the plastic located on had moved so where the plastic locates on two metal bayonet type lugs there was nothing to hold it in place so with a rubber mallet I knocked the shaft back in to the column. Fixed it all back together and great job done. Before I fixed it I didn’t have any faults show up as such on when driving and turning the wheels would start locking up like the abs what’s kicking in. The 4x4 info showed the wheels straight when I was turning so car thought it was slipping due to the outer wheels going round faster than the inner wheels
Hope this helps

This picture is where the shaft had moved causing the gap so explained above What to do
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Last edited by Dazz360 on 21st Oct 2019 10:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #209395520th Oct 2019 8:33 pm
Poppy Ann

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Many thanks for the help I have a new one on order so I will give it a go as soon as i receive it, on mine it seams to work ok when i reset all the error codes but if i turn to full lock it then goes crazy when it first happen i thought that the brakes had locked up on the left but after resetting the codes it did not happen again until i took the same corner where I needed full left lock then O joy here we go again at least it was close to home i don't want to think what would have happened if it happened when pulling out into traffic.
again many thanks for your help

PS what is the list at the end of your post?

Post #209405521st Oct 2019 12:45 pm
Dazz360

What I’ve done to the car in my profile
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #209406121st Oct 2019 1:08 pm
spen-again

The problem arises when the yellow ring with the tabs on it loosens itself from the steering column. This part does not come with the new steering angle sensor. I discovered that the best way to secure it is by using the shaped stick on metal brackets I made. Took me less than an hour to make the brackets and stick them onto the universal joint below the steering angle sensor.

Post #209416621st Oct 2019 7:18 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bit concerned using metal with heavy duty adhesive.
The original could have very easily been more affixed than using plastic sleeve friction fit over the steel shaft.

My issue is that if the sensor 'seizes' you won't be able to turn the steering wheel.
I glued some high density foam strips. They only have to help stop the plastic ring from slipping.
If the sensor were to seize the foam would easily sheer.
I might be being a bit overcautious, but really wouldn't want to face a situation where I couldn't turn the steering wheel!
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #209434222nd Oct 2019 3:25 pm
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

I second that, I used gripfill with foam. Worked fine.
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #209437522nd Oct 2019 6:47 pm
spen-again

Yes I agree any solution to keep the ring secured to the steering column is ok. The only way a problem would occur with my fix is if the steering angle sensor seized solid which would not happen as it is made of pretty fragile plastic plus the thickness of metal used to make the brackets was thin enough not to be a problem. The Disco I did this fix on last year is still working perfectly.

Post #209440322nd Oct 2019 8:04 pm
Dazz360

highlands wrote:
The original could have very easily been more affixed than using plastic sleeve friction fit over the steel shaft.

My issue is that if the sensor 'seizes' you won't be able to turn the steering wheel.
I glued some high density foam strips. They only have to help stop the plastic ring from slipping.
I might be being a bit overcautious, but really wouldn't want to face a situation where I couldn't turn the steering wheel!

It’s not friction fitted, it locates on two metal swells and A sloppy fit at that. Mine was the shaft had moved down about 5-8mm allowing it to free spine off the swells. The shaft is a tight fit in a bearing but I guess over time had moved so knocking the shaft back into position did take some persuading.

Post #209441722nd Oct 2019 8:33 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Do you mean you 'knocked' the yellow ring back up the steering column to relocate it or do you mean the actual steering column shaft had shifted?
I'd always understood the ring was friction fit but good to be educated if not.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #209442422nd Oct 2019 8:55 pm
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Dazz360 wrote:
highlands wrote:

It’s not friction fitted, it locates on two metal swells and A sloppy fit at that. Mine was the shaft had moved down about 5-8mm allowing it to free spine off the swells. The shaft is a tight fit in a bearing but I guess over time had moved so knocking the shaft back into position did take some persuading.

So, mines just developed this fault. As Highlands asked, did you just knock the yellow ring back up to relocate it?

Post #209999015th Nov 2019 11:34 pm
Dazz360

I removed the steering column and once out put a cloth on the floor to protect the steering wheel and placed it straight down so the steering wheel was on the cloth, that lets you have the shaft straight up so with the uj tipped to the side just above the yellow ring (from the view of how it’s now sat on the floor ) I got a rubber mallet and knocked it back into position by hitting the uj/shaft down into the column making sure the plastic ring is located on the lugs / friction of the shaft. Make sure you don’t turn the plastic before and try getting it aligned before removal

Sorry took so long to reply work gets in the way of life

Pic above I remove the whole of the orange section down to the green in one piece I left the intermediate shaft in place

Pic above you can see the uj tipped to one side Next to the plastic that slips I hit the uj/shaft back down towards the steering wheel to locate it back into its place

Post #210001316th Nov 2019 8:28 am
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the reply Daz.

Well, removing that column wasn't fun! The most time was taken trying to figure out what trim to remove and how to remove it without breaking every brittle clip under the sun! But.... Once out, it was easy to see the fault. What a blooming ridiculous design! A naff bit of plastic that doesn't really key into anything with 3x three barely perceptible lines in the steering shaft that are supposed to hold the plastic ring by friction.

Knocking the UJ down did nothing in my case - it was as far down the splines as it could go, so we turned the wheel upside down (steering wheel on the floor) and used araldite that was pushed into the gap between the plastic collar and the metal steering shaft, then pulled the ring up into the araldite and wedged it there with some card. This was left overnight and was rock solid the next morning. Its all working now.

The problem only occurred as i drove the D3 onto my ramp to change the lower suspension arms, so it wasnt even a job I was expecting to do!!

Post #210065919th Nov 2019 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >