Steering stiff - New lower column fitted with guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

aja4x4 wrote:
Shutts wrote:
Guys
Not sure if anyone can help but I replaced the lower shaft as I was getting a slight knock through the steering when going off a kurb. I assume that when the top bolt is done up the top and bottom parts of the column should be locked solid. I have a little movement from side to side, like its piviting on the bolt. Did it up to 30Nm as recommended but still moves.

Andy

This has been reported a few times where people have used pattern parts, the yoke is too big for the shaft and will not tighten up correctly. If you over tighten the bolt it will deform the yoke but still not clamp the shaft correctly and if you snap the bolt you will have a great deal of fun getting it back off again.

I've just caught up on this post and was initially just going to say ' beware of buying the cheaper OEM or OE parts. Quite apart from the possible oversize yoke (that may be solved grinding opening the pinch gap so it grips more tightly), a much worse problem is slack between the 2 sections of the shaft.
I did a post on this some time ago (https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/wandering-steering-187399.html)
after I had practically replaced the whole steering gear in my D3. The rotational slack (5º equating to 50mm at steering wheel) in the lower steering shaft is almost undetectable when you're searching for the cause of the free play at the steering wheel. I only found it by chance when I thought I noticed an unusual movement in the shaft. But that was after a huge outlay on parts I didn't need.
I got it replaced under warranty, but, and I can't emphasise this enough, you must check the replacement for the same rotational slack. Even 1º will result in about 10mm (oh, and it gets worse over time) at the steering wheel. I found 2 in my Indy that had between 1º and 2º out of the box so ended up buying an original part that was perfect. The Indy doesn't stock the other parts anymore And were unaware of the problem before.

Post #23358027th May 2023 3:02 pm
discodanse

Norway 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi,

I have had stiff steering on my Discovery 4 for a while now and was convinced it was the lower steering column that was tight. I just replaced it with a new one, but it did not solve the problem. Still too stiff and heavy to use the wheel. Specially at low speed. Im a little lost now.

Any tips on what to check next?

Post #233712919th May 2023 3:32 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Tyre pressures.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #233713019th May 2023 3:52 pm
Alphamale

discodanse wrote:
Hi,

I have had stiff steering on my Discovery 4 for a while now and was convinced it was the lower steering column that was tight. I just replaced it with a new one, but it did not solve the problem. Still too stiff and heavy to use the wheel. Specially at low speed. Im a little lost now.

Any tips on what to check next?

Is it that same heavy stiffness that you get when the engine is not running? Could the power steering pump be failing?

Post #233714919th May 2023 6:47 pm
discodanse

Norway 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, Im starting to suspect the power steering pump failing. Any tips on how to test the pressure?

Post #233730821st May 2023 7:35 am
Alphamale

There is a procedure for testing the pressure (in the workshop manual), but it needs special tools. Don't know how it can be done otherwise.

New pump from site sponsors Advanced Factors is £161.70 inc.

Post #233734221st May 2023 5:40 pm
northernmonkeyjones

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Commercial Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As a Long time lurker and much user of the FFRR forum I though this place would know the answer…..

After last weeks floods, and a bit of shallow paddling, my steering had gone a bit notchy and wasn’t self centering properly. Much profanity later and fear of an new pump/rack being required, a search on here pointed towards the lower UJ, so lying on my back with a can of lithium spray grease I managed to get a good dollop on there this morning. Quick spin of the wheel back and forth and some more grease then a test run and it’s all good again for the time being.

Winner!!

Post #235162228th Oct 2023 1:21 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Much easier way is from the top and a length of 12mm pipe, slide the pipe down the side of the engine to the top of the uj, pour WD40 or whatever even diesel down the pipe to wash the uj and finish off with a shot or two of engine oil. I did mine this way and the improvement was unbelievable. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #235163028th Oct 2023 2:55 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I realise it may only be a temporary measure in treating steering that is starting to become a bit stiff.

But, how easy is it to see and get access to lubricate the UJ on the lower steering column once the engine under tray (held by 10 bolts) is removed?

Also is the best approach to lubricating the UJ to use a penetrating oil first followed by white lithium grease?

Post #235369521st Nov 2023 11:06 pm
JPringle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just replaced the lower joint on my Discovery 3 today, however the new one is different from the old, same part number but the top and bottom connections are on a different alignment for want of a better word, as such the steering wheel has had to be turned around 60degrees in order to make the splines line up. Had no choice but to change for the new one as the old one was completely seized. Does anyone have any ideas? Number stamped on the original is QMN500240.

My only thought is to reset the steering angle sensor and remove the steering wheel and realign with the shaft? I have looked on all the parts websites and cannot find a replacement shaft that actually matches the original, so maybe this process has been done in the past?

Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks

Post #23608483rd Feb 2024 8:00 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This sounds like you have a non genuine product? There are loads of cheap copies available. I'd send it back and source a genuine LR shaft.

Post #23608984th Feb 2024 9:48 am
JPringle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have been looking further into it and it appears that the part I received was in fact for a left hand drive model (lr071147 / QMN500250) instead of for a right hand drive (lr071146 / QMN500240) have contacted the seller to see if they have the correct part and can send me it in exchange. otherwise i might remove the shaft sections from the UJ and swap it over which should hopefully resolve the alignment issue

Post #23608994th Feb 2024 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >