BAD EXPERIENCE
77%
 77%  [7]
Total Votes: 9

discodog

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
STRATSTONE LANDROVER - NOTTINGHAM

STRATSTONE NOTTINGHAM

Salesman was great but was let down by shoddy pre delivery checks. I bought a used tdv6 hse in immaculate condition and was very happy. I asked them to fit towbar and electrics and thought no more of it. After 2 days of ownership, i found that the interior map lights did not work. I took my car to Trinity in Hinckley and they fixed them for me unde warranty. Thank you Trinity. The following week i went to pick up my caravan to take it away for the weekend and found i had no electrics. Again back to Trinity in Hinckley who said it was probably a very simple thing. NOT. It turned out that the electrics that were fitted were not Landrover electrics and looked like a birds nest with tape holding the boxes together. After more than an hour the electrician said that he was unable to figure out how to make the mess work and had never seen anything like it. A very annoyed phone call followed to Stratstone Nottingham and the finance bloke authorised Trinity to fit the authorised Landrover electrics which they did with top speed so i still had time to get my caravan and get away for the weekend. THANK YOU TRINITY. Next whilst carrying out a routine tire pressure check, I decided to give the spare wheel a kick as i was suited and booted i didn't want to get dirty. It was as if there was no air in it at all. Next day when suitably dressed in scruffs, i lowered the spare took it out and stuck the air pipe into it, filled it and then took it off only to be greeted by a loud hissing. Not an expert on tyres and believe you me you did not need to be an expert, I saw a hole in the tyre wall. No point trying to get that fixed.

Another angry phone call to Stratstone Nottingham followed questioning their pre delivery inspections, he said if i bring it back then they would replace the tyre. I live 70 miles from Nottingham and had to do the trip at the weekend. When i got there, there was no one in service and my sales man replaced the wheel with one off another vehicle. A job he should not have had to do.

MORAL TO THIS STORY - IF YOU BUY FROM STRATSTONE NOTTINGHAM GET AN INDEPENDANT INSPECTION DONE TO YOUR VEHICLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THEY CAN NOT BE RELIED ON TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY AND HELL WOULD FREEZE OVER BEFORE I TOOK MY CAR TO THEM TO DO A SERVICE, IF I HAD A BRAKE FLUID CHANGE THEY WOULD PROBABLY FORGET TO PUT THE FLUID IN. Shocked
 ANYWHERE BUT STRATSTONE
SHINY SIDE UP GREASY SIDE DOWN
www.canineforum.co.uk 

Post #3556655th Oct 2008 11:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So this should really be a +ve post for Trinity Thumbs Up Had nothing but great service from the whole team . .

When my Car was replaced, I Insisted that the car be supplied by Trinity due to all the hard work and good service. What I really like is that they will also admit up front if they think that they should have done better, had a part in stock, first time fix etc - a fine skill owned by the whole service and sales team.

Nottingham Embarassed not a good experience
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #3556946th Oct 2008 7:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I agree with this. It was a while ago now, but the Salesman I dealt with at Stratstone Nottm was great - no problems at all. But when the Disco arrived it was the wrong spec. At first they tried to charge me for the items they had ordered, but I didn't want. After I turned that down, they then tried to charge me the agreed price for vehicle without some options I'd ordered but with others I didn't want - totally unrealistic!! If they'd been fair, and knocked the price down for the lack of some important options I wanted then I might have considered a deal with them, but as it was there was no way.

The salesman was obviously very embarassed by all these shennanigans (mostly led by the Business Manager) and actually emailed me to apologise for the dealership's behaviour.

Would I deal with them again - NO!! Frankly, there are plenty of other dealers out there that don't mess you around and do a better job. Buying a new car should be a pleasure as far as I'm concerned, and if it isn't the I'll go somewhere else!
 Arctic Frost TDV6 5-seat
Terrain response
Climate control
Xenons
(Yes, it's an odd spec - but I like it!) 

Post #3565877th Oct 2008 10:13 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Stratstone Wolverhampton are no better.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3565897th Oct 2008 10:16 pm
petet

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Stratstones Nottingham

Almost a description of my car purchase from Stratstone's Nottingham a few months back. Salesman great, knowledgeable about vehicle and seemed sincere and convincing. Bought secondhand HSE with 16K on it, noted a couple of issues on the 'unprepared' car, i.e. a front tyre showing more wear than I liked and a front lamp well filled with condensation. Mats were missing and they even charged me for replacements! In a fortnight of preparation, they managed to fix a nasty stone chip on the bonnet, but that was it. Same problem with the spare wheel which in my view was illegal, but only noticed that after getting the vehicle home. Charged me for fitting the electrics which had clearly been there all the time - socket was pretty grubby! Saleman managed to sort the minimum, but seemingly could do nothing about the 2004 sat nav disc in the 2006 car, so car now goes elsewhere for service (where they did a 4 wheel alignment for me to avoid recurrence of the tyre wear problem) and I will not go back to Stratstone. Pity such a convincing salesman has such poor backup where it matters. Credit to him, he came out personally and brought the load cover which had been missing when collected the car and for rectification work he came and collected the car adn returned it to me.

Pete

Post #35767410th Oct 2008 12:45 am
The Coachman

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I cant beleive I am reading this lot! I have had an almost identical problem with Stratstone Nottingham. I purchased a D3 in July with 68000 miles on the clock waited over a week for pre delivery inspection to be carried out etc. I noted several things wrong for rectification before collection. Upon collection I to had been charged for electrics etc and tow bar fitting, the bar was new but the electrics were obviously old and grubby. Upon arriving home I had already noted the CD player was defective and then noticed the passenger door lock was defective and would not unlock unless you repeatedley pressed the key fob to unlock. Due to new baby, hols and a wedding I had no option but to delay the repairs a few weeks as we were just to busy. I did ring the salesman the next day and report my problems and he said dont worry its all under warranty. Then I noted very uneaven tyre wear on the front tyres and after just 1500 miles needed 4 new tyres. At this point it became clear the locking wheel nuts were all goosed and two were only finger tight as they could not be done up with the tool. I decided enough was enough and I then booked my car in for its 75000 mile service (although we had only done 71000 and just 3000 from when I picked it up) Unbeleivebly the total bill for repairs required amounts to approx £2400 including the £278.00 for the service! The defects found are as follows;
Both Bottom Ball joints worn to excess
Rear Diff leaking oil
Rear Brake pads worn to excess
Brake fluid requires changing
CD player requires replacement
I asked how the car came with a new MOT with no advisory items? And how it had passed a PDi with no problems? They just gave me a load of blag and fobbed me off. I presented my warranty and asked for the repairs to be carried out. They then inform me the warranty I had was not valid for any of the repairs due to the miles on the car - I only had the select cover. I stated the saleman and the business manager assured me I had the full LR warranty just as a new car but they say not.The salesman has now "left the company" So I cant go back to him either. So as it stands I have a car in need of alot of repairs in a very short time. The warranty stuff only came in the post a few weeks ago. I have faxed the dealer principal my concerns and asked him to justify how this has happened, and how a car flew through an MOT and a PDi but then has all these failures in a very short time. I am awaiting his response - which I expect will be more blag and a refusal to do the work as I have had this from the service manager, the sales manager and the business manager already.Wher can i go next? Do I have any grounds on unfit for purpose etc etc?

A word of warning anyone buying a car from this dealership beware as they are almost certainley cutting corners to get the vehicles out at the best profit! Get an independant inspection done or better still go elsewhere. I hope my rant helps avoid another potentital purchaser being ripped off in the future....

Post #35771110th Oct 2008 9:40 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Why don't you try making a complaint to VOSA about the MOT being 'a bit suspect'. That might rattle a few cages.

Alternatively threaten S Censored stones with the above if they do not sort it out and see how panicked they become. The last thing any garage wants is VOSA inspectors crawling all over it, not good for sales or reputation!!

They obviously think they hold all the cards, but the above could just be the Trump card that proves their undoing!! Thumbs Up

Post #35771310th Oct 2008 9:47 am
The Coachman

The dealer principal has just rang me in person and offered to carry out all the repairs to the car next week at his cost no questions asked. Which providing they do so is a result me thinks! Well worth the letter to him asking him to justify my problems and of course the mention of this forum must have helped! I will update when the woks are compled to my satisfaction...

Post #35772510th Oct 2008 10:26 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Excellent news Thumbs Up

I wonder if he had been on the forum before ringing you and seen the above thread Wink

Hope it all gets sorted properly for you!

Post #35772810th Oct 2008 10:30 am
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Same thing happened to me at Stratstone Doncaster. Pre-check and even service not carried out which meant a delay in receiving the car. Have had the car 5 months and it goes back into them next week hopefully for the last time to correct pre-delivery faults. The car will then be in the condition it should have been when they sold it to me. Needless to say it won't be going back again,

Is this just a Stratstone thing..

Trev

Post #35781310th Oct 2008 2:40 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I drive past two $trat$tone dealers to take my car to Duckworths in North Lincs - who are superb.

Bought a used D2 from one of the $trat$tones some years back.... had appalling after-sales service... catalogue of faults. They tried to bill me for hundreds of pounds worth of faults. Statutory rights/sale of goods mean that you're covered for faults anyway, so the very fact that you pick up a vehicle and it develops a major fault shortly afterwards (or existed unknown to you at purchase time) mean they need to sort it anyway, irrespective of a warranty. Warranties just save a lot of arguing! Simple call to trading standards sorted that out. Vehicle servicing was awful. Almost always had to return when things weren't sorted properly (incorrectly adjusted callipers after brake pad change), handbrake not being tightened, loose wheel nuts etc etc. Work billed for, but not done... the list went on and on...

When I compared them to Lakeland on price when I was purchasing the D3, the quality of the D3s they showed my round were awful. Obvious warranty issues not sorted etc.

Total jokers.

Duckworths are superb, better in every possible way.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #35782910th Oct 2008 3:23 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

TSR2 - don't know where in North Lincs you are - just spotted that. Try taking it to Duckworths. I was recommended to go there by someone on the forum who also drives from further away than me to get there.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #35783210th Oct 2008 3:27 pm
Fatboy Slim

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Seems Scrapstone problems are not just limited to the dealerships in Wales then Evil or Very Mad

Post #36088316th Oct 2008 6:39 pm
The Coachman

I must re-dress the balance as Stratstone Nottingham have carried out all the work and more on my D3 at their cost. In addition to the work identified we went on to have a complete new rear diff and the epb stripped cleaned and adjusted all FOC. We have also had the benefit of loan cars whilst the work has been carried out and at least three washes and cleans on the car in the last two weeks. Well done Stratstone. Thank you.

Post #36495026th Oct 2008 10:59 am
jkp

Scotland 

Stratstones.....mmmmmm

Trust me Edinburgh branch is not much better. Great when trying to get your money, but once your out the door the whole attitude changes. Thats my personal experience anyway.

Post #36500326th Oct 2008 1:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >