Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

stray broken wire affecting suspension ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
leeashman1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
stray broken wire affecting suspension ?

The story so far, suspension problem amber light, broken front sensor, replaced that then replaced all the seals etc on pump, replaced relay, then the pump has blown the 60a slow fuse, So i changed the pump thinking that the motor had gone, This is not the case as the new pump blows the fuse as well, Big Cry
Im thinking that the air from the pump is not getting into the tank, looking at the valves there are two green and yellow wires quite thick and one is not connected to anything but is open at the end?
Any one who can shed any light on this or might know where to go next,
this is a photo of the offending wire

Post #114952529th Aug 2013 10:44 am
danRR

United Kingdom 

I can remember a fault where a green wire travels the length of the chassis from the front and had dropped down onto the nearside rear drive shaft and chafed through, but I cant for the life of me remember where it went to, it shorted when u moved and brought warning lights up, check its not hanging down towards the rear diff...

Post #115025930th Aug 2013 8:42 pm
snailcove

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

my one had the same behind the compressor the spare wire was am old wire that used to go to the handbrake and at some point in time a new wire had been joined and ran to the handbrake plug looking in from the drivers side wheel (the wire splits into two at the back before entering the plug)

behind compressor where my new wire was broken

looking in from drivers side rear wheel where it splits into two and the old wire is still left in place

Post #115030030th Aug 2013 10:00 pm
leeashman1

Ok guy thanks, I would like to know if it would be possible to just run a new live feed to the compressor, if any one could let me know if this is possible and fitting info as I'm not 100% sure how to go about it.

Post #115040431st Aug 2013 8:13 am
snailcove

I would say the live feed to your compressor will be at the plug under the passenger side wheel arch ,you could try jumping a wire from the plug to the compressor and see if that stops the fues blowing ,just to see if you can eliminate where there might be a short

Post #115059131st Aug 2013 7:03 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you split the plug under the front n/s wheel arch (it has two thick and two thin cables) and split the plug on the feed close the compressor( this is the one you disconnect when removing the comp.) with a multi-meter you can then test the continuity of power cables by connecting the + pos and - neg together with a link wire and testing at the other end and if they are going to earth both to the compressor and back to the relay, take the relay out to do this, but as the cables are well protected I doubt they are damaged.
Have you tried running the compressor with the outlet pipe from the drier disconnected, this will eliminate any problems with the exhaust valve not opening on start up, the exhaust valve lets the compressor start off load, this could be sufficient load to cause a fuse to blow especially if you have just fitted new piston seals.
You can test the compressor in situ by just running a cable from a battery to the compressor plug and just giving it a short run.
The thick wires you have found will not be going to the valves. The compressor feed pipes run behind the receiver and are in plastic trunking.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #115062631st Aug 2013 8:54 pm
leeashman1

Ok guys thanks for all the help i will post the results when I find out what the problem is, Trying to find someone to work on the car has been a nightmare, but i now have someone coming on Monday to do it

Post #116058120th Sep 2013 2:24 pm
leeashman1

Ok i have removed the pipes and the compressor is now running without blowing the fuse, I have then reconnected the pipes and run the compressor for around 3-4 min but I'm still getting suspension faults and the car has not gone up, It has not blown the fuse this time even with the pipes connected, How long should i give the compressor as i don't want to over heat it ?

Post #116302025th Sep 2013 5:17 pm
snailcove

cant help as I have fitted the new style but if you give it 20mins to cool down and try it for another 5 mins and so on till hopefully it cuts off up to pressure and it goes up Thumbs Up

Post #116311925th Sep 2013 8:17 pm
leeashman1

Ok,I have now changed the live feed and its still throwing a fault , it will run, then slowly cut out as if its filled the tank, The pump will not shut down, so just grinds to a halt as it cannot push against the pressure, and then throws a fault, is there a sensor or valve that controls the pressure ??

Post #11667213rd Oct 2013 4:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >