DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sunroof drain question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D1SCD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Sunroof drain question.

I thought I'd have a go today to try and stop my leaking sunroof Sad

I tried drivers side first, I thought this would be OK, and it was, it drained straight away out behind the wheel - all good Very Happy

Passenger side. I dropped headlining and disconnected the tube, I poured water into the top of the tube and it ran straight through, no obstruction, so far so good Very Happy

I next poured a cup of water into the front channel, this slowly drained, much slower than the drivers side. Then poured water into the side channel, this didn't drain at all Sad

Can anyone tell me how the side channel water gets to the drain hole on the front, there doesn't seem to be a way through..

Post #233651514th May 2023 8:02 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'm not sure I completely follow your meaning, but have you checked the two rear drain tubes too? They lead through the headlining to each rear wheel arches.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #233653514th May 2023 9:58 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Sunroof drain question.

D1SCD wrote:

Passenger side. I dropped headlining and disconnected the tube, I poured water into the top of the tube and it ran straight through, no obstruction, so far so good Very Happy

What do you mean? Did you see water running out behind the wheel arch? Could it be that the pipe was just being filled up?

D1SCD wrote:

I next poured a cup of water into the front channel, this slowly drained, much slower than the drivers side. Then poured water into the side channel, this didn't drain at all Sad

I am also not sure I am following here. As far as I have seeing, my D3 sunroof has only 2 drains, one on each front corner of the sunroof rail. The pipe is quite “thick”/large so… it takes a while to fill up. (In my case it was draining very slowly, so I little water was going out of the wheel arch, but not close to the needed flow. I stuck thick nylon string on both sides and wiggle it around to obstruct. In my case was a little stone/rock/debris at the elbow right behind the engine air intake grid.

Post #233659215th May 2023 1:41 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting Prette. Are you sure you don't have two rear tubes also? I'm not aware of any manufacturing differences. They run through the headlining, down the C pillar and into the rear wheel arches.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #233666115th May 2023 10:14 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

To be fair, I have not looked for more drains, only those blocked/leaking. Maybe they are there, but since there is no issue, i didn’t notice it.
From my sunroof to C-pillar and rear wheel arch appear to be quite a journey. One factor is that i have glass roof (if this make any difference).
But hey… I am happy I didn’t know about these drains. Whistle It means they are working fine. Whistle

Thanks for clarifying this

Post #233667116th May 2023 6:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >