Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension has collapsed whilst driving...thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gmcc wrote:
rrhool wrote:
Don't replace the compressor unless you sort the leak. You'll burn out another one.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr072537...4723-p.asp

Advanced Factors, site sponsors. Thumbs Up

How will i be able to find the source of the leak without a working compressor?

I wasn't suggesting you don't get a new compressor, just that you need to fix what ever was wrong in the first place too.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #220317417th Jan 2021 9:21 pm
Gmcc

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Aye, okay. Was just the way it read Smile . I’ve been out to the car and checked fuses and the relay under the bonnet beside the battery. Is there any others hidden away somewhere? They all seem fine.

Have been reading... plenty threads on the air suspension! Haha... Am i correct in saying that if its the original compressor then it’ll be hitachi, and i should therefore get another hitachi as amk one is different in some way? Thumbs Up Ive been looking at the ones bearmach.com sell. There’s two on their site for the LR3, one has Dunlop in title the other doesn’t.
 D3 with lots of d4 extras!  
Post #220318117th Jan 2021 9:44 pm
Simon_CSK

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It took me less than an hour to fit the compressor and the suspension stood up straight away. I then left it overnight and, having already changed on front strut, thought my problem was cured hover I noticed later on this morning the front was down again. Started her up and up she went but parked up she sat down again at the front. When I get time I will replace the other front airbag and hopefully that will give me a cure.
What I remember from my P38 is that the folds in the rubber can temporarily plug holes or crack which movement can then dislodge and allow the air to escape.

Post #220364919th Jan 2021 3:42 pm
TT___50

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Simon, is it lowering evenly at the front? If so might be front valve block or surrounding pipes. Worth checking before buying another strut as easy to do. Can also get an o ring kit cheaply to refurb

Post #220366319th Jan 2021 5:05 pm
Gmcc

Just to keep this thread updated... I’ve ordered a complete amk kit. Bought from island-4x4. Seemed the best priced when looking around. So hopefully that turns up later this week and i can get it on, and then see what’s what with the rest of the system Thumbs Up
Post #220370219th Jan 2021 7:44 pm
Simon_CSK

TT___50 wrote:
Simon, is it lowering evenly at the front? If so might be front valve block or surrounding pipes. Worth checking before buying another strut as easy to do. Can also get an o ring kit cheaply to refurb

Yes dropping evenly. It could be the valve block and for all that is involved it would be a quick fix.

I bought a car for spares so have everything standing by. (Assuming the two cars have identical parts)

Post #220371019th Jan 2021 8:03 pm
AACSC

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Gmccen to the

I have recently experienced the same problem with my D3 ie the front suspension dropping.

The imperative is to try and identify the leak, I tried soapy water but no conclusive result.

I found that the best solution was to remove the front offside wheel and wheel arch liner and disconnect the 6mm pipes serving the left and right struts. I then attached a connector with a schraeder fitting to both 6mm pipes and using a foot pump inflated the struts to 30psi. I monitored the pressures over 12 hours and if the pressure is maintained it rules out any problem with the pipe, strut or strut connector.

Attention can now be given to the valve block. A common piece of advice is to replace the connectors with brass connectors which are alleged to be superior. On my D3 I purchased a "O" ring seal kit and fitted same to the valve block, I did not find any obvious problem with the seals and I chickened out and purchased a new valve block, problem solved. I did not wish to revisit this area of the car any time soon.

If the above does not solve your problem you are into checking the pipe from the valve block next to the compressor or the main valve block itself.

When removing my compressor I encountered the inevitable problem of getting access to the top retaining bolt. Removing the bolt is one thing putting it back in is a much more serious issue. I found, to my suprise, that a small horizontal slot had been cut into the compressor mounting casting such that the top bolt can be inserted by a couple of threads and the casting, and compressor, slid in behind the head of the bolt. Tightening the bolt is awkward but a lot easier than trying to insert the bolt withe casting in place. I am not sure if the car was produce with the slot as it looked a little crude on my car.

Best of luck.

AACSC
 Graduate of the FDC ( Fred Dibnah College)  
Post #220376419th Jan 2021 11:44 pm
Simon_CSK

TT___50 wrote:

Yesterday I changed the valve and both front struts and the suspension is now properly fixed. Just with the same could be said about the engine which died on its maiden run. Shocked Shocked

Post #220412021st Jan 2021 4:36 pm
Gmcc

It lives!!!
Click image to enlarge
6D7570D8-F5A6-4615-9BC7-625384E16AC9 by Guy McCallum, on Flickr

I’m getting a fault code for ‘motor temperature’ though, which is throwing on the amber suspension light...
Looking at the data, the motor temperature is 11 degrees. Doesn’t seem to be changing.

Thoughts? Thumbs Up
Post #220446422nd Jan 2021 6:09 pm
Gmcc

The wife took it for a drive (30 minutes or so) after i cleared the motor temp fault, and it didn’t re-appear, and the amber light has remained off. Fingers crossed.

I’ve then spent ten minutes going through some of the measuring blocks looking at values. Heights at the three options are a wee bit out.. by say 20mm.. took some pics. It seems to reach the height selected and the pump continues to run for 30 seconds or so, is this normal?

I’ve set it to off-road height and let the compressor stop running, and ive now pulled fuse 26 (20amp) and will return in the morning and plug in the fuse and diagnostic tool again without the engine running and see what the heights are... First step to understanding where the problems lie that resulted in the compressor giving up the ghost. Thumbs Up
Any input most welcome Very Happy
Post #220453422nd Jan 2021 9:27 pm
Gmcc

So here are the two screeen shots from my heights at off-road position. First one is last night and second is this morning...

Are these typical? Seems to be a fair difference in the heights at the same time.

I should say that the ground isn’t level, it slopes forward and right where it is sat.

Click image to enlarge
2AE25D91-8C06-4844-B1F9-34AFBCBFEBC3 by Guy McCallum, on Flickr
Click image to enlarge
963EF654-F062-48A4-8FE6-D5DD87C13F42 by Guy McCallum, on Flickr
Post #220459323rd Jan 2021 10:02 am
Simon_CSK

Gmcc
am I right in thinking that some of the readings appear to have grown overnight? I wouldn't think that is possible with the compressor off.
The settings should be read with the car on a level hard surface as far as I know.

Post #220466623rd Jan 2021 3:27 pm
Gmcc

Yep, it does appear like that eh. I suppose the non level ground won’t help. Wasn’t too sure about the low front right too? Although i looks like air bags are holding their air.
Post #220473123rd Jan 2021 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >