Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 20 <123 ... 17 181920>
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Your welcome, hope it works out for you.

Post #151813920th Aug 2015 10:23 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Well, fitting the o-ring as a doddle, and thanks again.

The rest however. . .

I'm currently resting while yet another thunderstorm passes over. So far, it's taken the thick end of the day just to get the old one off. I gave up and prised the bracket off in the end, and even the bolts holding the bottom cover on proved to be a real Censored .

Here's hoping we don't get washed away, and the replacement works.

Post #151876522nd Aug 2015 5:03 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'm pleased to report that we didn't get washed away, and we managed to fit the reconditioned compressor without too many dramas. I will, however, add to the chorus of wailing about the top bolt on the bracket which took a lot of wiggling., and special tools made of bent coat-hanger etc.

So far it's working well, and a lot more quietly than the duff one.

It was interesting to note that the one we took off also appeared to be a replacement (based on the hand written numbers on the casing), and that the cover was not fitted correctly resulting in it being full of crud, and everything inside being corroded.

All I need to do now is save up enough to replace it properly with an AMK before this one goes pop.

Post #151946424th Aug 2015 12:23 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Great news Discologist! Yes that top bolt was a &^*(%^! I ended up taking the compressor off the bracket first with the allen key then took the bracket off. Was still a pain but not as bad as the top bolt! You'll be glad to know the AMK is easier to fit/remove although the top bolt could still have been easier if I had a ratchet spanner.

Post #151974924th Aug 2015 9:52 pm
MonLand

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Compressor dead: motor cooked

Got an amber light "suspension height to normal" only a few days ago. Figured the compressor needed some refurbishing. Parked the truck, bought rebuild kits.
Today, I take everything apart and I realized that the electric motor of the compressor burnt. Not sure of the reason. Dessicant was not as powdery as I expected it to be. I'm thinking the front bearing failed.

Anyway... Can I source a replacement motor or is my only option to get a complete compressor?
If so, what's the feedback on those Chinese compressor on eBay I read about? ($250?)

Truck is '06 Disco3/LR3 V6. I believe the compressor has been replaced already (with a rebuilt unit) by the dealership a few years ago (maybe in the 2009 timeframe?). Still an Hitachi unit.

Post #16349802nd Apr 2016 7:34 pm
Under Pressure

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi All,

My 07 Lr3 compressor has spat out the dummy. Was getting the usual amber warnings and it worked intermittently. The last time it worked I went through the motions of selecting the lower and high height settings and it finished up on the off road high position and has refused to do anything since. I am getting the red warning to slow down to less than 30kmph, but keep driving as normal and have removed the fuse for the air suspension which disables the alarm. I am hoping that I am not doing any damage and going on the assumption that as long as the system is up with air in it not much harm can come.
I was looking at getting a repair kit for it, believing it was the Hitachi unit suffering with a gunked up air dryer, but luckily had a quick look to find out it is the replacement AMK upgrade unit that was replaced under warranty by the local LR agents about 3 yrs and 80,000km ago.

Looking at the repair kits for the AMK unit and the supplier states that it is not an easy a repair as with the Hitachi compressor. The AMK overhaul requires soaking and the use of a press to separate components.

Has anyone repaired one of these AMK units with the kit? Perhaps I would be better off just getting a new replacement or reconditioned unit?

Cheers Smile

Post #175452628th Dec 2016 12:26 am
SimonRafferty

United Kingdom 

Is there anything to call it between the different repair kits offered on eBay / usual suspects on line?

Yellow light came on for the first time this morning!

Si
 2006 RRS Owner  
Post #17572063rd Jan 2017 1:20 pm
RBS6K

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Hitachi Compressor and an IID Tool

I serviced my 06 Hitachi compressor about 20k ago with a view to some of the valves as I suspected the nasty white gunk from the desiccant would have worked its way though the airlines by now but unfortunately I only replaced the front cross link as the reservoir on hadn't arrived.

So over the last few days the old amber suspension warning light comes on for a minute or two and then goes off again but lately the dreaded red one is showing up and going off again. Yesterday the red one came on while I was driving on the motorway along with the 30 mph warning and a bumpy ride as the suspension dropped and then lights went out and the suspension raised again.

I plugged in the IID and read the faults and apparently I have a dodgy front right height sensor, a problem with a cross link algorithm, a possible suspension unit failure and an air supply failure. Then there is the knock-on faults on vehicle dynamics and transfer case caused by loss of communication witht the suspension ecu.

Anyway, I decided to do some real-time monitoring on the journey home this evening which to be honest was a bit of a roller coaster. i dialled up compressor temp, gallery pressure, all four corner valves and ride height. So first of all I could see the front right sensor giving some wacky numbers from 0 to -120mm and back again but I also noticed that the gallery pressure kept dropping and the compressorkept kicking in and the temp kept getting hotter and hotter, over 135 degrees C. Gallery pressure would never get above 12 bar. Eventually I got the amber warning light then all four corner valves would open to 20%, gallery pressure would drop to 0 and the suspension would drop to the stops. After a time the valves would close, gallery pressure would be about 10 bar and the rear would rise up slowly to about -40mm then stop, then the front to about -40mm, then the back up to 0mm and then the front would come up to 0mm. Gallery pressure down to about 3.5 bar and the compressor reached over 130 degrees before turning off to cool down.

This happened 4 times on the 180km journey home, the suspension deflating while doing 120kph on a motorway makes for interesting stains..

Any idea on which bit needs fixing first????

Cheers,

Post #176903625th Jan 2017 10:42 pm
Strangeworm

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

All, need some help! 05 D3 105k, had the seemingly familiar Suspension Fault Amber light, special functions off message.

Diagnosis was a change of compressor, naturally. Chose not to use a main dealer but my trusted local garage. They installed an OEM replacement, which is modified part no. LLR072537 and was supplied to my garage by LR, Guildford, as it happens.

Upon collection, testing of the air suspension whilst parked brought sluggish response (especially after a second and third use), and 'Suspension Vehicle Raising Slowly' messages. It went back to LR for a software update to accommodate the modified pump, that LR hadn't told us it needed and at further cost.

But the same fault remains so it went back to LR again who stated that the diagnostic machine showed no fault...and will only search for the fault for £250...No warning lights are on, but as I was told when I purchased the car, it will tell you if something is wrong - and it's telling me something is wrong..

Has anyone experienced this fault and suggest a remedy? My chaps are out of ideas and I am having to think about legal recourse. This is our sole suitable car.

Any help, advice or guidance as to who might be able to help would be hugely appreciated. I fear this modified new unit will blow up before too long...

Post #178504228th Feb 2017 4:10 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Not sure what fault you're referring to. Is it the sluggish response and "Raising slowly" message? It is expected that if you lower and raise the car more than 2 or 3 times you will get the "raising slowly" message. It is normal and expected. The compressor is not designed to pump up and down continuously. It has an extremely low duty cycle, but operates at very high pressure. Hence it WILL overheat after 2 or 3 full raising cycles and turn off to cool down a bit, hence the raising slowly message.

Drop the car to access height with the engine on, wait 2 or 3 minutes to ensure compressor is nice and cool, then raise to offroad height. You should NOT get the "raising slowly" message. If you don't get it, then everything is fine. The compressor is meant to do just that. Playing with the height switch like my 2 year old son is not in the compressor's job description Wink

If no warning lights are on, and you don't get the "Special Functions Off" message, then LR is right, no fault codes will be logged because nothing is wrong. The "Raising Slowly" message is a normal operational message which indicates the protective measures in place for preventing 2 year old kids from burning the compressor out have come into effect Wink
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #178514028th Feb 2017 7:06 pm
jonnydisco

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension Fault?

Hi All,

I have a disco 3 2006 auto TDV6 120 K Miles.

Just had X4 new tyres
Full service
Belts and oil pump done.
Gear box flush – DR Tranny.
New Front arms
Rear diff leak, boot leak sorted.
Corrodes break lines replaced.
Re map
And a few other bits but I can’t remember, must have lost track?

Anyway, once or twice a month I get a suspension fault on the dash, sometime it tells me that special features are off and sometimes it says transmition fault.

Only one or twice a month, resets perfectly and that’s is for another 3 to 4 weeks – what is the deal?

Crap in the sensors? After the journey?

Cheers folks 😊

Post #202961618th Feb 2019 8:19 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have diagnostic codes read, otherwise its like picking the lottery numbers!!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #202979618th Feb 2019 3:11 pm
jonnydisco

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fault

Cheers! Will do 👍👊

Post #202979818th Feb 2019 3:13 pm
Sullo12500

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Indus SilverLR3
Suspension Fault

I just bought my Land Rover LR3 from a private party and it’s seems to be having some suspension issues. I keep getting Suspension Fault Codes. I just replaced the Air Compressor with a new compressor but I’m still getting the error codes. I noticed a difference because now the compressor comes on and stays on for several minutes. Before the new one it did not do that. I had it hooked up to a machine and got the both switches pressed at the same time code and the invalid data received from ride level control code. I really need help to figure out why my LR3 won’t raise.[/b]

Post #216447230th Jul 2020 3:39 am
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Suspension Fault

What are the errors please?
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #216447330th Jul 2020 4:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 18 of 20 <123 ... 17 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >