Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension failure-water ingress to the E-Box- am I alone ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tregie

Suspension failure-water ingress to the E-Box- am I alone ?

D3 2006 model. TSB034/036 was done. ENVIRONMENTAL BOX (E-BOX) SEALING GROMMET
LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A000259 to 6A390949

Why is it only for this VIN range, not later, what mods were made ?

Vehicle out of warrantee - Jan 2009. I have just had a suspension failure incident on my vehicle, after which I was charged a large sum of money. I am not happy to pay for these repairs as it would seem it was caused by a latent defect, or a situation totally out of my control:-

The explanation given to me is that this damage was caused by a chain of events, starting with a “water leak / water damage” in the e-Box, housing the transfer case ECU, which triggered a relay, ran the compressor pump until it burnt out, melted several plastic piping components on the exhaust valve, burned the relay, and then popped the fuse.

I am not going to give an opinion on this, it seems to be a logical chain of events, except to say I would think the purpose of a fuse (small cost Crying or Very sad ) is to protect sensitive (Read EXPENSIVE) electronic and mechanical parts and / or minimise the damage.

According to the dealer who attended to this suspension failure, this water penetration fault has been detected on several other vehicle, the most likely cause for the ECU water damage “could” be caused by using a high pressure washer on the engine? To the best of my knowledge, the engine of the vehicle never gets washed using a high pressure washer? We did however, have a heavy downpour of rain and sleet, the day prior to the first suspension failure error message appearing “Suspension error, normal ride height only ”. I would be very concerned if this resulted in the water getting into the E-box?

Landrover is not interested in my story, they feel they are not liable as the e-Box is sound under normal circumstances, how did the water get in there then ?

Post #56524315th Dec 2009 7:28 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You are not alone. Have seen it a few times before too.

Never seen it run the compressor untill it melts pupes and dies though Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #56524715th Dec 2009 7:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Are you talking about the controller behind the battery?

Post #56525415th Dec 2009 8:24 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

could be a more simple reason? the relay on mine stuck in the closed position and as it is a permanent feed it carried on running with ign off for about ten minutes until I realised what was going on and pulled it, otherwise it would have carried on running if unnoticed either until the battery went flat or the compressor went pop.
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #56528015th Dec 2009 9:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tregie

Location of ECU for Transfer case

Yes, the ECU is located behind the battery in what is called the e-box, seems strange that the service recall is only valid for certain vin range of vehicles, will be interesting to find out what LR has changed in the design to eliminate the "grommet" reseating problem, only place that the water can get into e-box and affect ecu.

Post #56979124th Dec 2009 8:02 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Possibly a quality control issue. Newe procedure to check it has been installed correctly? Idea

It is a good idea to make sure the connector boot is correctly seated add some silicone. I sealed the whole of mine with 'plasticote).
On the d4 they have moved it to the spare battery compartment.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #56988724th Dec 2009 12:06 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Suspension failure-water ingress to the E-Box- am I alon

tregie wrote:
Landrover is not interested in my story, they feel they are not liable as the e-Box is sound under normal circumstances, how did the water get in there then ?
Mine got a soaking when I opened the bonnet during a very heavy downpour; the water sluiced off the bonnet, down the screen and drenched both the battery boxes; I assume that's how mine failed. Now I only check my oil when it's dry. Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #56989924th Dec 2009 12:19 pm
tregie

Help? So how do I tell LR to pay up?

Merry Christmas to all....

I buy the water sluicing down the bonnet, the drip channel in front of the window could most probaly not handle the volume of water of the downpour, and that caused my water overflow into the engine compartment.

My D3 is no longer in warrantee, and I need to make a case, based on the fact that it has happened on several vehicles, and that there is a more permenant fix than just reseating the grommet? Also, does the train of events make sence ?

Their initial reply to me was they are prepared to pay for 1/2 of the ecu costs, but no mention of the other damage ? And what about all the other D3 out there just waiting to be water soaked and have expensive repairs ?

Lots of questions, I know. Help?

Post #57018625th Dec 2009 5:51 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You could argue that the TSB was not done correctly, but hard to prove. How much are they asking for a new ECU?

Post #57022625th Dec 2009 2:07 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

ive never understood why modules are fitted under the bonnet, wonder who the connectors are made by for the battery box ecu's? (AMP maybe?)

ill have a look into making an extension loom when i get 5 min, 8)

Post #57022725th Dec 2009 2:25 pm
tregie

TSB done and dusted

I tried to use the TSB as the culprit, but the reply is: this was done by the dealer, and a year has passed since, the repair can not be guaranteed, and who knows who did what to the vehicle in the elapsed time ? I know, only the dealer ever works on the car, except wheels and battery. Argument not feasable....

The cost of the ECU is not the major cost, about 1/7 of the whole bill, there is the pump, plumbing and relay as well, this is not considered....

I think the best apprach would be to just maintain that there is nothing I could have done from my side to prevent the failure ??

Post #57056927th Dec 2009 4:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >