Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension lowering after 120km/75mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

They all do it, but as Ken says, there are no messages, no bings/bongs and no lights will flash on the suspension selector lever.

The suspension lowering and raising again at these speeds is completely automatic.

To be honest, it would be pretty impossible to perceive a 20mm drop whilst driving at 160km/h. I don't think anyone would notice it had happened unless you had a friend driving alongside with a camera to take a before and after photo Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #54098927th Oct 2009 5:51 pm
MrAnders

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I read some questions about Matzkers various upgrades. I bought their demonstration car and got all their extras and can share some experiences.

When I lower it (35 mm) it gets significantly stiffer in the handling, so much that I normally don`t use that setting, get´s uncomfortable on Norwegian roads.

I also have spacers, (+25 mm each side).

The combined effect of these is a "Sport Discovery 3", really very different handling at high speeds and/or winding roads. No 4x4 feeling and really no more need to slow down through bends than any modern car.

I think the spacers is the most important upgrade of these, and beeing rather cheap as well. The spacers are installed as a requirement from German TUV to allow them to modify the height limiter. I can go in offroad height till 100 km/hr instead of 40 km/hr. This gives a phenomenal comfort ride on bad roads.

This car have 240 bhp and no speed limiter, I have driven it at 207 km/hr on Autobahn and it still handles very well.

Matzkers build quality is by the way amazing, as is their service after buying. Strong recommendation.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #54179229th Oct 2009 3:09 am
Jean-Paul

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

installing the spacrs alone, what effect will have on the car and also where can I find them. thank you Thumbs Up
 J.p  
Post #54179929th Oct 2009 7:31 am
MrAnders

The car gets a 50 mm wider wheelbase. And a wider car handles better in curves and in higher speeds. It also increases the wear and tear slightly so your service cost would rise marginally.

There are several vendors in UK that sell spacers, I have no recommandations since mine came with the car.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #54184429th Oct 2009 9:51 am
Jean-Paul

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

has anyone tried any of those spacers ? any recomendations ?
 J.p  
Post #54233630th Oct 2009 6:12 am
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Matzker may be produce good mods but they sure as hell are not cheep.I rather spend in foultmate and raise suspension this way than spend as much as used LR3 itself for similar experience,except maybe handy switch near by,anyway driving at such a height speeds with suspension raised will certainly wreck havoc on many components IMHO.

Post #54317131st Oct 2009 5:53 pm
MrAnders

Agree on the price, with dollar beeing what it is I can see your point.

My car is -05 and have been used onroad offroad for 50K miles. Still works fine.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #54320031st Oct 2009 6:48 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think the system is Land Rover approved, can't see they would approve it if it has a major impact.
It is expensive though.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5435121st Nov 2009 3:42 am
andycouchman

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My dealer told me that D3s no longer lower automatically at high speed. Older ones do but not later ones (from 2006?) apparently. A pity - I was looking forward to trying it Whistle

Not sure if this happens with D3s but on older Discoveries you could get a situation where the car rolled and it felt as though it was moving relative to the line you had set, so drivers tended to adjust their line. With the effect that the car moved even further in the wrong direction. The secret was to ignore what your instincts told you and to rely on what the vehicle was actually doing. Most Disco drivers seemed to do this naturally but for some it took a little whgile to master and others (a very few) never got the hang of it. Certainly, you could lean my old Disco 200Tdi at amazing angles and it never fell over (just lifted a wheel if you really pushed it). The only thing that could catch you out was S bends or braking in a curve,, simply because of the big weight movements involved. The secret was to be very smooth and to set a line then keep to it not make any adjustments if you could help it. Sort of a Jenson Button style but in a 4 x 4. Wink
 Andy C  
Post #5451953rd Nov 2009 7:05 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Tried the lowering trick last night on my '05 last night. Yep, it went right down - I was only going 55 mph......
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #5452283rd Nov 2009 7:58 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

andycouchman wrote:
My dealer told me that D3s no longer lower automatically at high speed. Older ones do but not later ones (from 2006?) apparently. A pity - I was looking forward to trying it Whistle

Interesting. I drive mine over 100mph nearly everyday Whistle and it has never lowered. You could be right its a 2008 model.
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #5452433rd Nov 2009 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrAnders

Just curious, the lowering I was replying to is when you set off in Offroad Height, then it should lower at 50 kph.

I haven`t heard or seen it lower from Normal Height at any speed.

The Matzker kit gives you Offroad Height, that stays till 100 kph, then lowers to Normal Height.

And a Low Ride setting that works from 0 to 210 kph. Same as Access Level in original set up, which lifts at 20 kph.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #5453313rd Nov 2009 10:04 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I know it was during a period where my suspension control module was full of water, but I did find a while back that I was able to use the 'lower' suspension lever to drop the car by a large amount at road speeds between 50 and 70MPH (MY2007).
I'll try it again tomorrow and see if it happens now everything is working as it should. In fairness I've never felt the car needed to be lowered so it's not something I've attempted. Wonder if it helps fuel economy Whistle

BTW, if the car feels sloppy then it has to be tyres/tyre pressures/anti roll bars/arb bushes or something; this car is amazingly stable at speed, and I used to drive a Volvo T5 so I know what seriously stable is Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5453563rd Nov 2009 10:26 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Tried today at 50MPH; started in access mode. Drove off and rose to normal height as expected. At 50, I pressed the down lever and the car claimed to go into access mode according to lights on the switch and instrument cluster display. Definitely firmed up the ride and more/harsher bumps apparent. Don't know if it dropped all the way though or if it just dropped a bit.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5460665th Nov 2009 1:07 am
MorganD379

Wales 

Thread resurection...

This came up on my YouTube feed just now.

Post #218210824th Oct 2020 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >